• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loudoun firearms discharge... Again?

conhntr

So im considering 3acres in loudoun county. I would really like to be able to shoot; even just 22lr but i cannot figure out the ordinances.

Loudoun 684

684.06 Discharge of Firearms

a. (1) The Board of Supervisors prohibits the discharge of firearms, except for certain hunting activities provided herein, in the following area of the County:

//not applicable im not in this area//

b. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 50 yards of a highway in the primary or secondary system of state roads.

c. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of any public park or school. Nothing in this section shall be enforced within a national or state park or forest or wildlife management area.

d. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of a building with a current occupancy permit unless the owner or authorized agent has given permission.

//

I meet these requirements but i seem to remember loudoun also having some sort of zoning requirements as well but i cant find them?

Anyone know?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So im considering 3acres in loudoun county. I would really like to be able to shoot; even just 22lr but i cannot figure out the ordinances.

Loudoun 684

684.06 Discharge of Firearms

a. (1) The Board of Supervisors prohibits the discharge of firearms, except for certain hunting activities provided herein, in the following area of the County:

//not applicable im not in this area//

b. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 50 yards of a highway in the primary or secondary system of state roads.

c. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of any public park or school. Nothing in this section shall be enforced within a national or state park or forest or wildlife management area.

d. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of a building with a current occupancy permit unless the owner or authorized agent has given permission.

//

I meet these requirements but i seem to remember loudoun also having some sort of zoning requirements as well but i cant find them?

Anyone know?

Look here http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1384 . Have fun!

stay safe.

conhntr

Skid the anove quote was from there but i also found this apparent "catchall"

654.02 UNREASONABLE NOISE.
(a) Purpose. The making, creation or maintenance of excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud noises which are prolonged, unreasonable or unusual in their time, place and use, affect and are a detriment to the public health, comfort, safety and welfare of the County and its inhabitants. It is therefore hereby declared that the provisions of this section are enacted in pursuance of and for the purpose of securing and promoting the public health, comfort, safety and welfare of the County and of its inhabitants.
(b) Prohibition. No person shall make, continue, or cause or permit to be made or continued, any excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud or otherwise unreasonable noise, which annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of other persons in the County.
Acts in violation of this section include, but are not limited to, the following:

//
Include but not limited to; firearm discharge is not listed. But i dont think shooting for a couple hours saturday afternoon would be unreasonable but who knows

MSC 45ACP

If you have the $$, get supressors for your firearms. If not, shoot "CB-shorts" in your .22 cal. They're very quiet and you can shoot them all day long on just a few $.

A few years ago, we had a troublesome oppossum in our backyard in Norfolk. He very nearly bit one of my dad's Labradors. My younger brother dispatched the critter with "CB Shorts" after the dogs had "tree'd" him. It took several rounds before the critter fell out of the tree, but they worked and we didn't even bother the neighbors! :-X

streetdoc

I second that, my cousin use to shoot ravens in his back yard in Santa Ana, CA. a very condensed residential area south of Disneyland. The birds were keeping hom awake during the day and the neighbors never knew.

conhntr

I would just shoot sub somics. My concern is legality, im oretty sure ill have a 911 call. So being quiet wont help need to be legal. Its zoned "ar-2" if that helps

MSC 45ACP

I would just shoot sub somics. My concern is legality, im oretty sure ill have a 911 call. So being quiet wont help need to be legal. Its zoned "ar-2" if that helps

Just don't be SEEN doing it. They are NOT going to hear it at all... and even if they do, they won't recognize the sound for what it is. The sound of your bolt (if using a semi-auto) will be louder than the round's progress.
Subsonic means what it says...
A long-barrelled bolt-action rifle is your best bet... I'm NOT suggesting you break the law of course. We are all responsible citizens here. :)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Skid the anove quote was from there but i also found this apparent "catchall"

654.02 UNREASONABLE NOISE.

Since discharge of firearms is not listed, do try not to use the term "pound sand" when discussing the issue with any deputy that comes to tell you someone has complained about the noise.

stay safe.

conhntr

Well i was out looking at the property and heard someone target shooting within a mile so i guess they are used to it. I have a marlin 39 with a looonnnngggg barrel it is nice and wuiet with subsonics.

I realize i shouldnt blast away with my m1 garand but i think the 22 should be fine.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Have you read the stories of the guys who sit at their kitchen table, looking out an open window? What sound there is seems to be swallowed up inside.

And AR-2 zoning gives you a whole lot more leeway than Residential or Commercial would. And a lot more protections - remember to plant your garden in front of the backstop and then apply for your nuisance abatement permit. (Just remember that while neighbors may be a nuisance they canot be abated the same as starlings.)

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

conhntr

Ive been reading about your problems with the dog hunters for some time. I really hope i dont have those problems!

Our old farm in pa had lots of city folk come by and just dump unwanted pets! But this place is more out of the way