• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montana State Law Summary

doobie

No, MT does not have agreement for repository with NH.

Yuck, I was hoping it did.... I am going to be heading to glacier national park....but it sounds like I can have it in the car or a backpack; just not covered by clothing or within town/cities?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Yuck, I was hoping it did.... I am going to be heading to glacier national park....but it sounds like I can have it in the car or a backpack; just not covered by clothing or within town/cities?

You will only need the concealed license/permit if you plan on concealing on your person with wearing apearl. And then so, only while within a city or town limits. In this scenario, you could OC. Car/glovebox carry does not require a concealed license/permit.

Last edited:

MontanaCZ

how long is the waiting period for gun purchases in montana ?

I am going to assume that you are asking if it is similar to the California 3 day wait? In Montana, you go in, fill out the form, wait for the form to be processed, and if there are no problems, walk out with your weapon of choice. If you have a Montana CCW, they do no do the NICS check. Normal time for me is 40 minutes or so from the time I walk in till I leave.

Kovernm

Localities are substantially preempted, but have limited power to prevent and suppress the carrying of concealed or unconcealed weapons to a public assembly, publicly owned building, park under its jurisdiction, or schools. MCA 45-8-351 http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/mca/45/8/45-8-351.htm

How far does this go? I mean I take it that local laws cannot trump state law, but can public buildings like libraries post signage not allowing carrying of weapons? I would assume that any private business could forbid firearms and that going against those signs could constitute criminal trespassing. Please explain. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2