Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Why hello!

  1. #1
    Regular Member KingSteve032's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    12

    Why hello!

    Hello my name is Steve. I am planning to open carry a firearm when I turn 18 (6 more months!) and one sentence that can describe me is "A gun loving computer geek". I've been looking around the Virginia side of the forums for a while now and I decided to join to get into the discussions with people from my state and city. I thought it would be a good idea with me being able to OC so soon. So ya my name is Steve and love firearms.

    PS: How well do you thing I did shooting a 1911 for the first from 21 feet?

    Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1325396079478.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	7700  

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Hello and welcome to OCDO! (open carry dot org)

  3. #3
    Regular Member Felix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    186
    Hi Steve!
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Welcome to OCDO.

    Were you aware that you can under certain limited conditions, OC before you turn 18? See http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.7 .

    Not bad shooting, especially for the first time. Hope you get more range time.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    First off, welcome aboard OCDO. We're please to have you with us. Second, I have to congratulate your well written post. Granted there were a few errors but frankly, it's refreshing to see someone your age writing so well. And lastly, a decent job of shooting for your first time out.

    You will learn a lot on these forums. Some members can get a bit strong in their positions on the various topics, however it's all in good fun (generally) and quite informative. Enjoy your soon to be had freedoms.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  6. #6
    Regular Member KingSteve032's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    First off, welcome aboard OCDO. We're please to have you with us. Second, I have to congratulate your well written post. Granted there were a few errors but frankly, it's refreshing to see someone your age writing so well. And lastly, a decent job of shooting for your first time out.

    You will learn a lot on these forums. Some members can get a bit strong in their positions on the various topics, however it's all in good fun (generally) and quite informative. Enjoy your soon to be had freedoms.
    Haha its not my first time shooting. I've been shooting a lot it was my first time shooting a 1911 though. I have to say it's a pretty amazing gun to shoot.

    Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSteve032 View Post
    Haha its not my first time shooting. I've been shooting a lot it was my first time shooting a 1911 though. I have to say it's a pretty amazing gun to shoot.

    Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Nice! I currently carry an XD40 but am getting my first Rock Island 1911 tomorrow! Cannot wait!

    Glad your here, lot of good information on this site! Try and make it to a dinner sometime, some good people 'round here.

    -Zak

  8. #8
    Regular Member Baked on Grease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Va.
    Posts
    652
    Welcome! I just bought myself a Springfield 1911 mil-spec myself, put 400 rounds through it and not a single problem with the gun. Very well made. It was my first time shooting .45 at all, and after 400 rounds my hand was sorta numb

    What will you be carrying and what area of Virginia are you in?

    If you haven't done so already, go checkout and join the Virginia Citizens Defense
    league Vcdl.org

    Sent using tapatalk
    Last edited by Baked on Grease; 01-02-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

    "According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

    Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia
    Posts
    66


    This is my first 1911 I ended up trading for today. Cannot wait to take her to the range!

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Very nice Zak!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    27
    That 1911 is a beauty!

  12. #12
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    Welcome to the OCDO forum

    Good to hear from you, Steve. +1 on joining VCDL. You should keep watch for open carry dinners in your area. It is a great way to socialize with other gun folk.

  13. #13
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSteve032 View Post
    Hello my name is Steve. I am planning to open carry a firearm when I turn 18 (6 more months!) and one sentence that can describe me is "A gun loving computer geek". I've been looking around the Virginia side of the forums for a while now and I decided to join to get into the discussions with people from my state and city. I thought it would be a good idea with me being able to OC so soon. So ya my name is Steve and love firearms.

    PS: How well do you thing I did shooting a 1911 for the first from 21 feet?

    Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Not bad.

    Check out the monthly Airfield Shooting Club bowling pin matches, and the Lafayette Gun Club Practical Pistol matches. Unfortunately both events won't be running again until warmer weather in February or March. I know there's a guy who drives from Norfolk to every practical pistol match if you're looking for a ride.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  14. #14
    Regular Member KingSteve032's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    Welcome! I just bought myself a Springfield 1911 mil-spec myself, put 400 rounds through it and not a single problem with the gun. Very well made. It was my first time shooting .45 at all, and after 400 rounds my hand was sorta numb

    What will you be carrying and what area of Virginia are you in?

    If you haven't done so already, go checkout and join the Virginia Citizens Defense
    league Vcdl.org

    Sent using tapatalk
    Well I'm asking for a 1911 for my 18 birthday, it would be be nice if I got one haha. Also I'll be carrying in the Virginia beach area and Norfolk area since my job takes me out there. I'll join the vcdl when my job starts backup, not many people call in to get their house power washed and gutters clean during the winter.


    Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Regular Member KingSteve032's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    12
    They are amazing to shoot! They feel perfect in the hand and have just enough recoil.

    Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845
    Welcome to OCDO. We have a few folks down there at the beach. Travis (Wylde 007) is a very knowledgeable gentleman in your area.
    He is a wealth of information and possesses a more valueable commodity: History.
    He is a serious scholar of Virginia History. Be careful what you ask for; You may just get it...

    mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  17. #17
    Regular Member KingSteve032's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    12
    Well I turned 18 and got this!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-10 18.03.43.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	8820
    Rock Island Armory M1911A1 GI Model

    (Sorry for bumping this thread)

  18. #18
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSteve032 View Post
    Well I turned 18 and got this!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-10 18.03.43.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	8820
    Rock Island Armory M1911A1 GI Model

    (Sorry for bumping this thread)
    RIA are very good entry level 1911's I hear nothing but great reviews on them. I seen them used as low as $350 and NIB $450. It's my first choice for a 1911(low budget I'm poor) lol

    I passed up a used one once for $340 with $100 in upgrades with over 500 rounds down the pipe. Was a good deal
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 07-10-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  19. #19
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSteve032 View Post
    Well I turned 18 and got this!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-10 18.03.43.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	8820
    Rock Island Armory M1911A1 GI Model

    (Sorry for bumping this thread)
    No need to apologize for "bumping" the thread with a legitimate post. You had something to say!

    Happy Birthday and congratulations on your new pistol. I've carried many different .45's over the years and have recently gone "back to basics" and started carrying a Remington R1. It is very similar to your GI Model. I love it. It brings me back to the first gun I "OC'd": A Colt Government 1911A1 in "Sam Browne belt" and all kids of other "crap" on the belt with it. The weight of the 1911 was equal or less than the weight of the Four D-Cell MagLite on the other side of my belt. There were handcuffs (and in the days before OC (Pepper) Spray), CN "tear gas", a less effective irritant than Pepper Spray (OC).

    I carried a Kimber Ultra Crimsom Carry II for a long time, but the more I read about HP rounds not "opening properly" because the short barrel (significantly slowing the round down), I was concerned for my safety. Don't get me wrong... I LOVED the Kimber. It was a semi-custom pistol with a great trigger squeeze, and heavy match-grade barrel and bushing. It was as accurate at 25 yards as any Match pistol I ever shot.

    Before the Kimber, I carried an H&K USP 45... It is a wonderful RANGE gun, but unless you are young and have no structural problems with your body, it isn't a good carry gun because of it's weight. It also had a great trigger job and was exceptionally accurate.

    I look forward to meeting you at a dinner or at the range.

    Mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •