• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why hello!

KingSteve032

Hello my name is Steve. I am planning to open carry a firearm when I turn 18 (6 more months!) and one sentence that can describe me is "A gun loving computer geek". I've been looking around the Virginia side of the forums for a while now and I decided to join to get into the discussions with people from my state and city. I thought it would be a good idea with me being able to OC so soon. So ya my name is Steve and love firearms.

PS: How well do you thing I did shooting a 1911 for the first from 21 feet?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1325396079478.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325396079478.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 190

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
First off, welcome aboard OCDO. We're please to have you with us. Second, I have to congratulate your well written post. Granted there were a few errors but frankly, it's refreshing to see someone your age writing so well. And lastly, a decent job of shooting for your first time out.

You will learn a lot on these forums. Some members can get a bit strong in their positions on the various topics, however it's all in good fun (generally) and quite informative. Enjoy your soon to be had freedoms.

KingSteve032

First off, welcome aboard OCDO. We're please to have you with us. Second, I have to congratulate your well written post. Granted there were a few errors but frankly, it's refreshing to see someone your age writing so well. And lastly, a decent job of shooting for your first time out.

You will learn a lot on these forums. Some members can get a bit strong in their positions on the various topics, however it's all in good fun (generally) and quite informative. Enjoy your soon to be had freedoms.

Haha its not my first time shooting. I've been shooting a lot it was my first time shooting a 1911 though. I have to say it's a pretty amazing gun to shoot.

Zak Kee

Haha its not my first time shooting. I've been shooting a lot it was my first time shooting a 1911 though. I have to say it's a pretty amazing gun to shoot.

Nice! I currently carry an XD40 but am getting my first Rock Island 1911 tomorrow! Cannot wait!

Glad your here, lot of good information on this site! Try and make it to a dinner sometime, some good people 'round here.

-Zak

Baked on Grease

Welcome! I just bought myself a Springfield 1911 mil-spec myself, put 400 rounds through it and not a single problem with the gun. Very well made. It was my first time shooting .45 at all, and after 400 rounds my hand was sorta numb :p

What will you be carrying and what area of Virginia are you in?

If you haven't done so already, go checkout and join the Virginia Citizens Defense
league Vcdl.org

Sent using tapatalk

Last edited:

Zak Kee

2r3xn4j.jpg

This is my first 1911 I ended up trading for today. Cannot wait to take her to the range!

The Wolfhound

Welcome to the OCDO forum

Good to hear from you, Steve. +1 on joining VCDL. You should keep watch for open carry dinners in your area. It is a great way to socialize with other gun folk.

t33j

Hello my name is Steve. I am planning to open carry a firearm when I turn 18 (6 more months!) and one sentence that can describe me is "A gun loving computer geek". I've been looking around the Virginia side of the forums for a while now and I decided to join to get into the discussions with people from my state and city. I thought it would be a good idea with me being able to OC so soon. So ya my name is Steve and love firearms.

PS: How well do you thing I did shooting a 1911 for the first from 21 feet?

Not bad.

Check out the monthly Airfield Shooting Club bowling pin matches, and the Lafayette Gun Club Practical Pistol matches. Unfortunately both events won't be running again until warmer weather in February or March. I know there's a guy who drives from Norfolk to every practical pistol match if you're looking for a ride.

KingSteve032

Welcome! I just bought myself a Springfield 1911 mil-spec myself, put 400 rounds through it and not a single problem with the gun. Very well made. It was my first time shooting .45 at all, and after 400 rounds my hand was sorta numb :p

What will you be carrying and what area of Virginia are you in?

If you haven't done so already, go checkout and join the Virginia Citizens Defense
league Vcdl.org

Sent using tapatalk
Well I'm asking for a 1911 for my 18 birthday, it would be be nice if I got one haha. Also I'll be carrying in the Virginia beach area and Norfolk area since my job takes me out there. I'll join the vcdl when my job starts backup, not many people call in to get their house power washed and gutters clean during the winter.

MSC 45ACP

Welcome to OCDO. We have a few folks down there at the beach. Travis (Wylde 007) is a very knowledgeable gentleman in your area.
He is a wealth of information and possesses a more valueable commodity: History.
He is a serious scholar of Virginia History. Be careful what you ask for; You may just get it...

mike

ocholsteroc

Well I turned 18 and got this!
View attachment 8820
Rock Island Armory M1911A1 GI Model

(Sorry for bumping this thread)

RIA are very good entry level 1911's I hear nothing but great reviews on them. I seen them used as low as $350 and NIB $450. It's my first choice for a 1911(low budget I'm poor) lol

I passed up a used one once for $340 with $100 in upgrades with over 500 rounds down the pipe. Was a good deal :(

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

Well I turned 18 and got this!
View attachment 8820
Rock Island Armory M1911A1 GI Model

(Sorry for bumping this thread)

No need to apologize for "bumping" the thread with a legitimate post. You had something to say!

Happy Birthday and congratulations on your new pistol. I've carried many different .45's over the years and have recently gone "back to basics" and started carrying a Remington R1. It is very similar to your GI Model. I love it. It brings me back to the first gun I "OC'd": A Colt Government 1911A1 in "Sam Browne belt" and all kids of other "crap" on the belt with it. The weight of the 1911 was equal or less than the weight of the Four D-Cell MagLite on the other side of my belt. There were handcuffs (and in the days before OC (Pepper) Spray), CN "tear gas", a less effective irritant than Pepper Spray (OC).

I carried a Kimber Ultra Crimsom Carry II for a long time, but the more I read about HP rounds not "opening properly" because the short barrel (significantly slowing the round down), I was concerned for my safety. Don't get me wrong... I LOVED the Kimber. It was a semi-custom pistol with a great trigger squeeze, and heavy match-grade barrel and bushing. It was as accurate at 25 yards as any Match pistol I ever shot.

Before the Kimber, I carried an H&K USP 45... It is a wonderful RANGE gun, but unless you are young and have no structural problems with your body, it isn't a good carry gun because of it's weight. It also had a great trigger job and was exceptionally accurate.

I look forward to meeting you at a dinner or at the range.

Mike