Thread: Any experience shooting .327 Federal?

on the move

Question Any experience shooting .327 Federal?

My wife is considering applying for a CCW. Based on her experience shooting my 9 mm autos and several rental guns in various calibers, we're leaning towards a snubnose revolver in .38 Special. But lately I've been reading about .327 Federal. If nothing else, I like that you can fit 6 in the cylinder instead of 5. Unfortunately, it's still rare enough that I can't find one to actually try out. Since the bullet weight and velocity are comparable to a 9 mm, I've been guessing that recoil is comparable in a gun of similar size/weight. In a lightweight snubby (S&W Airweight, Charter Undercover Lite, etc.), how does the recoil compare to other loads (.38 Spl, .357 Mag)?

And since Ruger pioneered the round, how come the LCR isn't available in .327?
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

North Chesterfield VA
    I suffered a QC horror story with Charter Arms' snubby .327, which ended up with an exchange for the 4-inch model that I like. I also had a Taurus snubby I liked a lot that for reasons I'd rather not go into got sold to a friend for his wfe's CCW piece. Reports from there are that she likes it.

The .327's recoil is a bit snappier than a .38spl, but less that .38spl+P+. It is noticeably less than .357M.

I have no idea what the availability of ammo is, due to a peace offering that I'm still working on reducing to spent brass.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"

Havent tried it myself,yet, but wouldnt mind grabbing one for a snubbie. Ballistics are supposedly roughly equal to a .38 Super.
    Finding local places with ammo for it still seems to be the biggest thing holding it back though..
    Last edited by j4l; 01-01-2012 at 11:32 AM.