• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any experience shooting .327 Federal?

Eeyore

My wife is considering applying for a CCW. Based on her experience shooting my 9 mm autos and several rental guns in various calibers, we're leaning towards a snubnose revolver in .38 Special. But lately I've been reading about .327 Federal. If nothing else, I like that you can fit 6 in the cylinder instead of 5. Unfortunately, it's still rare enough that I can't find one to actually try out. Since the bullet weight and velocity are comparable to a 9 mm, I've been guessing that recoil is comparable in a gun of similar size/weight. In a lightweight snubby (S&W Airweight, Charter Undercover Lite, etc.), how does the recoil compare to other loads (.38 Spl, .357 Mag)?

And since Ruger pioneered the round, how come the LCR isn't available in .327?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I suffered a QC horror story with Charter Arms' snubby .327, which ended up with an exchange for the 4-inch model that I like. I also had a Taurus snubby I liked a lot that for reasons I'd rather not go into got sold to a friend for his wfe's CCW piece. Reports from there are that she likes it.

The .327's recoil is a bit snappier than a .38spl, but less that .38spl+P+. It is noticeably less than .357M.

I have no idea what the availability of ammo is, due to a peace offering that I'm still working on reducing to spent brass.

stay safe.

j4l

Havent tried it myself,yet, but wouldnt mind grabbing one for a snubbie. Ballistics are supposedly roughly equal to a .38 Super.
Finding local places with ammo for it still seems to be the biggest thing holding it back though..

Last edited: