• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SC Women shoots homeless man inside home

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
We are going to see a LOT more stories of real estate people encountering "homeless" people squatting in vacant homes.

Some of them are going to end very sadly.

Jag, I had to read the link before I knew what happened. A wrong word and no punctuation made your summary much more difficult to understand. Just punctuation alone would have made the difference; we understand few are perfect spellers.

Last edited:

rscottie

The media attempt to spin this story to gain sympathy for the "homeless" man is despicable.

The story headline should have been "Burglar attempts to grab arm of homeowner holding gun and gets shot by homeowner's wife."

The homeless part is spin and irrelevant to the story.

What is relevant is that the burglar, (trespasser at best) grabbed someone by the arm that was holding a gun on them. There is no way we can know what the intentions of the burglar/trespasser were but by grabbing the arm of the gun holder, we can only assume that they were trying to gain control of the firearm.

The wife had no choice but to shoot.

Ken56

Poor article, bad reporting. As previously stated the spin on this by adding in "homeless man" was BS and not relevant. He was a trespasser breaking the law. I have to wonder if the police were called right away when the owners were notified of his presence. Isn't that what they want/tell people to do? To protect and serve? Thats what we're here for? The owners could have been on the recieving end and the wife could be planning a funeral now. I'm not so sure I would have confronted him like that myself. I may have gone to the property and monitored his activity and made sure he didn't get away but........ I'm just glad the owners didn't get hurt in this.

jag06

I agree they tried to spin the story to gain sympathy for the robber/home invader. It was a good shoot, hate the husband and wife had to go through that at all.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Agreed that the news media tried to spin the story to gain sympathy for the criminal. I always heard that "sympathy" was a word in the dictionary between "s..t" and "syphilis".

Two mistakes from what little information was in the story:

1. Husband apparently got too close to the criminal, allowing the criminal an opportunity to try and seize his weapon.

2. Police should have been called first in this instance and the homeowner should just have monitored the criminal's activities until the police arrived.

Hats off to the wife for acting appropriately in defending her husband.

I do agree that we are going to see more of this sort of activity and more home invasions.

Kirbinator

You ever met a homeless person?

You ever met a SANE homeless person?

You ever met an INSANE homeless person?

What about a schizophrenic "Here one moment and not the next" person?

If a person doesn't respond to commands and keeps moving, they will cease to be moving... permanently.

okboomer

I would (and have) have gone to the property and walked in to see what was going on ... if it was just someone trying to get in out of the weather, I would then have called LEO to provide services and help remove him from the property, no charges pressed.

If it was someone trying to squat on/in my property who then became confrontational, I most definitely would have been holding them at gunpoint with 911 on the phone, charges will be pressed.

It is a toss up as to which you will meet ... but I don't want to cause someone down on their luck to get cross-wise with LEO if not necessary and at certain times, LEO is the only ones that can access aid services (nights, weekends, holidays) where I live.