• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My New Year's resolution

Pat Gardner

First off Happy New Year to all of the OCers out there hope you all have a great yr. Now on with my New Year's resolution: To start Ocing my .22 cal model 88 Revolver that I've had since i was 13, I'm now 44.:banana: seeing i live in the gold star State of Idaho:monkey. I just need to find out what the Coeur d'Alene tribe says about ocing on the Reservation seeing that Plummer id is on the Reservation. again i hope everyone has a Great New Year.

oldbanger

If you can find out what the Coeur d'Alene tribe says about ocing on the Reservation, that would be very helpful for all OCDO members.

Carry on Reservations is up to the Tribe and its Ordinances/laws. They fall outside the state laws on carrying firearms. Even a permit/license issued by the state is not valid on Reservations unless the Tribe OK’s it. It is very difficult to find out what their Ordinances/laws are on carrying firearms. Check with the Reservation Police/Government before carrying a firearm onto a Reservation.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

"Non-Indians are not subject to the jurisdiction of Indian courts and cannot be tried in Indian courts on trespass [435 U.S. 191, 206] charges. Further, there are no Federal laws which can be invoked against trespassers.

...but a non-Indian trespasser on an Indian reservation enjoys immunity. This is by reason of the fact that Indian tribal law is enforcible against Indians only; not against non-Indians.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=435&invol=191

be kerful

Pat Gardner

Thanks for the advice, i will be contacting the tribe chief of police here in Plummer to find out what he says about ocing, when i find out I'll post the information i get.

Thor80

Did you find anything out?
P.S. Again, you don't need to ask permission or find out peoples views on a lawful act...... :D You'll get more comfortable with OC the more you practice it. If you make it up to Spokane again let me know, if we have a few days notice might be able to get some folks together for coffee while you're here. I know for me at first it was more comfortable to OC with a group, its kind of like a jump-start. You get done hanging out with the group and realize that no one called the cops and no one screamed or yelled at you......

Thor

Pat Gardner

Thor,

I had talked to the trible police here in Plummer and they said that they know about OC being legal in Idaho and that the tribe fallows state law, so good to go on Open carrying on the res. the only thing that the officer said was that even though you can open carry he said they advise against it as you could get in trouble. I told him politely that it was my right to carry openly by law and i was going too, and i said thank you for the info. So yes you can carry on the Couer d Alene reservation. Also maybe this spring after it warms up and all this snow that we have had goes away i will go to Spokane.