• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first problem oc'ing

the beard

I went to the food lion on lawndale in greensboro and had some issues and wanted some feedback. i walked in and shopped around for about 20 mins with no problems. a stock guy even complimented me on my beretta 96. as i was in line the store manager and another employee were standing there staring at me. I just thought they were nervous. when i walked out the door they followed me to my car about 15 feet behind me which was making me nervous and when i got in my car to leave the employee wrote down my license plate number and shouted something at me which i didn't hear. i just drove away. they never confronted me and as far as i know food lion is very oc friendly. i shop there frequently and have never had a problem before. any advice?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would have spoken to the manager at the store. You could simply ask him where something is. Then at that point he is obligated to speak with you. Since you didn't do that the next best option is to call and speak to the store manager about your experience and how you felt as a customer. If you don't like what you hear from him then contact the district manager.

Dreamer

This employee writing down your license plate number is a DIRECT result in this tattle-tale "See Something, Say Something" mentality being fostered by DHS. This employee didn't know the law, didn't care about your rights or personal safety, and was just goose-stepping in line with the status quo attitude that ANYONE who owns a firearm and doesn't wear a badge is a criminal or a terrorist.

I would take it to the store manager. I would have also taken a video of the employee harassing me to show to the store manager. But that's just me...

rotorhead

I would notify the local police and the Food Lion corporate HQ and let them know that two of the Food Lion employees were stalking you and acting extremely creepy- including following you and taking down your tag number. If I felt weirded-out enough, I'd go down to the sheriff's office and request a restraining order on them, too.

Store employees stalking their customers into parking lots and writing down stuff isn't exactly normal business. Don't automatically assume the the bad guy roll. Make the law work for you, too.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would notify the local police and the Food Lion corporate HQ and let them know that two of the Food Lion employees were stalking you and acting extremely creepy- including following you and taking down your tag number. If I felt weirded-out enough, I'd go down to the sheriff's office and request a restraining order on them, too.

Store employees stalking their customers into parking lots and writing down stuff isn't exactly normal business. Don't automatically assume the the bad guy roll. Make the law work for you, too.

While I agree with your sentiment, I am pretty sure store employees can follow you if they want to. They can also write down your plate number if they want. It's private property and license plates are public information. That being said the OP should certainly work his way up Food Lion's chain of command. Just because they can do something, doesn't mean they should.

Last edited:

rotorhead

While I agree with your sentiment, I am pretty sure store employees can follow you if they want to. They can also write down your plate number if they want. It's private property and license plates are public information. That being said the OP should certainly work his way up Food Lion's chain of command. Just because they can do something, doesn't mean they should.

You can follow someone around a mall all day and then follow them into the parking lot and take down info, too, if you'd like I guess. It's all public property. But still, when actions begin to get a little creepy, we should be able to use the law like others do. Like you say, because they can do it, doesn't mean they should. There's nothing wrong with having them checked out, right? Maybe they'd get a taste of what some other people get when they are simply minding their own business and have the law called on them.

But, it's a discretionary call I reckon. It all depends on what the OP wants to do to resolve the matter. If heading off and minding his own business is all, that's fair enough. There's certainly no rule against not being a pain in the ass paranoid idiot like the employees were.

the beard

i could care less about the stares and the license plate but them following me so closely creeped me out. i didn't like having two guys behind my back eyeballing me. its not a good feeling.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You can follow someone around a mall all day and then follow them into the parking lot and take down info, too, if you'd like I guess. It's all public property. But still, when actions begin to get a little creepy, we should be able to use the law like others do. Like you say, because they can do it, doesn't mean they should. There's nothing wrong with having them checked out, right? Maybe they'd get a taste of what some other people get when they are simply minding their own business and have the law called on them.

But, it's a discretionary call I reckon. It all depends on what the OP wants to do to resolve the matter. If heading off and minding his own business is all, that's fair enough. There's certainly no rule against not being a pain in the ass paranoid idiot like the employees were.

I think you took me the wrong way. To me there is a difference between employees following someone and a random stranger following someone. I agree that a stranger would be creepy and cause for concern to the point of involving the police. Store employees are a different situation and there are times that warrant an employee following a customer, this not being one of them in my opinion.

lonewolf2810

I just wonder what they would have said or done if you were to have confronted them as to why they were following by saying (is there a problem sir have I done something wrong) as you reached your car.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I just wonder what they would have said or done if you were to have confronted them as to why they were following by saying (is there a problem sir have I done something wrong) as you reached your car.

I think you should have stopped half way to the car and turned around. Don't be shy.

hermannr

If it was obvious while you were in the store that they were particularly interested in you, for whatever reason, I would have asked them if there was something I could do for them. If they asked me to disarm, I would have said, "no gun, no money" and walked out of the store with everything I had picked up at the checkout counter for them to put away.

If they said no; there was nothing, I would have checked out, then if they continued to follow me, I would have stopped and approached them again and told them that I did not appreciate their following me, and if they continued to do so, I would file a formal complaint with corporate for their actions.

BTW: in a public place like that, you do not need to have your own camara, their security camera will take care of that for you.

ncwabbit

i agree w/rotohead et al.

about notifying and officially filing a report w/the local constabulary about what occured because...using the infamous 'WHAT IF' concepts forum membership like to use...

what if these individuals report you to the police as a shoplifter? the reason gave to the police that they did not confront you was because of store policy of non-confrontation of shoplifters and the obvious firearm on your hip - they were scared for their life.

what if they are not store employees? and are stalking you since you have shown a high value firearm and might have more at home.

what i wouldn't do is talk to the store manager and instead recommend complaining directly to the district manager. rational: the store manager might have been involved and if you complain to them, it won't go anywhere. express your sincere concern about this awkward behaviour of their store employee(s) and management as you actually were concerned for your safety. do not mention you were oc'g and so there is no bias in their investagation...you were doing shopping and this occurred. PERIOD...do not volunteer extranous information...finally state you are disappointed this occurred...

finally, if i have someone following me and taking an inordinate interest in my movements...trust me i will be on the fone chatting w/local constabulary advising on the suspicious behaviour exhibited and further state i am getting concerned for my personal safety...please intervene immediately!!

sorry, i am not being paranoid or a nervous nelly but proactive... thanks for noticing and asking...

wabbit

PS: find and keep your receipt...

PPS: you were right to exhibit restraint and not be confrontational to them..

Last edited:

rotorhead

I think you took me the wrong way. To me there is a difference between employees following someone and a random stranger following someone. I agree that a stranger would be creepy and cause for concern to the point of involving the police. Store employees are a different situation and there are times that warrant an employee following a customer, this not being one of them in my opinion.

No, I understood you fine :)

To me, it makes it even more creepy that it was store employees rather than a random stranger. Either one is odd in my book, but I would expect more from the employees there.

We agree that this situation would not be warranted behavior on their part. To me that's enough cause to call the police and see what's going on. A person doesn't become immune from weirdo behavior just by donning a Food Lion smock.

We just see it differently, that's all.

chiefjason

Forget the cops, it's a non issue to them and nothing they can do anyway.

Take it up with management, it's an employee issue.

Next time just turn around and ask, "Is there something I can help you with?" Never underestimate the power of just opening your mouth and being polite.

rotorhead

Forget the cops, it's a non issue to them and nothing they can do anyway.

Take it up with management, it's an employee issue.

Next time just turn around and ask, "Is there something I can help you with?" Never underestimate the power of just opening your mouth and being polite.

Really.

So when the employees call the cops and give them a tag number, you're saying they will not come out or do anything?

rotorhead

I think he was referring to calling the cops on the employees. Could be wrong though

He was.

My point was that if cops can be used by them, why not use them too? We're supposed to be citizens too, and if we see suspicious behavior, we're supposed to report it.

Look, I know I'm in the minority here. Most people would simply either brush off the rudeness on the part of the employees or maybe even confront the employees to ask them what the deal was. I have nothing against either scenario. All I'm doing is introducing another possible action other than simply laying down and taking it.

One could:

1. Ignore them and drive away. This is probably what most people would do.

2. Turn around and ask them what they are doing. This could work two ways. The employees could possibly be dazzled with the OC's friendly attitude and everyone would have a good laugh when the air was cleared. Or, the employees could take the confrontation completely the wrong way and be freaked out with it, and decide to call 911 on him. Now you have a situation where store employees have made themselves out to be a victim and the OC as the aggressor by simply being the ones to call 911 first. The cops will almost surely take this position when they arrive on the scene. Now you have a situation where the OP is in a distinct disadvantage.

3. You could sit in your vehicle and call 911 and report the incident to the local LEA and make a report based on being followed out the door and having weirdos take down your tag number. I'm sorry, but this is not normal behavior.

Ok, I don't want to appear like I'm arguing against the first two scenarios. Either one is acceptable in my mind. But, number 3 is also logical to me, as well. The cops may see quickly that there is no danger once they come out, but I just feel it's better that I'm not the one that's automatically assumed to be the aggressor due to them calling first.

I understand that maybe many here do not agree. That's fine. :)

ncwabbit

the police will come out

a very good friend worked as a greeter @ food lion type store...(read as security). they stopped numerous ppl who were 'sneaking' out of the store pushing their cart w/o paying for its contents. merchandise included massive amounts of laundry soap (drug making material), meats, canned goods, etc. one cart contained $850 worth of merchandise. sr mgmt told my friend since they had put in the greeter corp, after reviewing what was being taken, they believed they were preventing merchandise lost in the amount of $18 - 20K a week!!.

every time my firends group challenged someone, the perp normally abandoned and left their cart in the doorway, my friend stated they wouldn't chase but just 'casually' walk outside to get the license number, if it could be obtained, and they notified the police. every time the police were notified they arrived (abet hours later but they arrived to clear the call) and made a report. several times my friend was key in identifying the suspect.

several police officers indicated if they felt the information was timely and the suspect managed to get away w/merchandise, they would put out a broadcast to see if they could catch the BG. it was an easy collar as they now know where the supects live.

remember this is big business and presents a huge loss to the bottom line of that business. police reports lend credence to prove to accountants and tax examiners the business can take the $$$$$$ loss off of their corp returns.

bottom line, from the OP's post, it appears these store employees were following food lion's loss recovery policy(s) and the real question is if they actually put the number on their police report list.

wabbit

PS: i initially felt this kinda theft was due to the current economic downturn (read recession) and was wondering how i could help these unfortunate ppl. after talking to my friend at length on the merchandise stolen and some of the responding officers, they informed me for the most part they theft has nothing to do w/feeding a family but rather drug trade (massive amounts of detergent) and ppl taking orders from friends and they go in and steal the merchandise and then selling it to the ppl who ordered it for pennies on the dollar.

PPS: a sidebar...please support and continue to support your local food banks, commerical, religious entity, or wherever, as there are ppl throughout your community who are experiencing a tremendous hardship maintaining their lives. one rule of thumb i use...for every five boxes of ammo i purchase or a new firearm, i buy a case or two of canned corn, peas, etc. and then deliver it to the local bank monthly.

Last edited:

the beard

just to reiterate. i've shopped at this food lion for 3 years now and i've been oc'ing for about a year of that. i literally live about 3 blocks away. i was just a little pist about the fact that they obviously knew who i was. its ok though i'll just oc in there over and over again till they get it through their heads i'm not some gun nut or they ask me to leave. as for the manager it looks like life already took care of that payback.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
just to reiterate. i've shopped at this food lion for 3 years now and i've been oc'ing for about a year of that. i literally live about 3 blocks away. i was just a little pist about the fact that they obviously knew who i was. its ok though i'll just oc in there over and over again till they get it through their heads i'm not some gun nut or they ask me to leave. as for the manager it looks like life already took care of that payback.

"life took care of that payback"?

What happened to the manager?