• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

West Virginia Open carry with magazine and in full battery?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dreamer,

I agree with you 100% that the WV AG can not say that open carry is for WV residents only. Handgunlaw.us is only reporting what is presented by those elected officials who represent the head of Law Enforcement in West Virginia. That line needs struck from the WV Firearms Brochure as there is no law to back it up. Handgunlaw.us reports what the lawful officials are reporting in their state. The WV AG also lists "Police Stations" as Off Limits in WV. That is not true. WV Law specifically states where firearms are not allowed to be carried and Police Stations are not listed anywhere in WV Code. But the AG Lists it as a place off limits to those with a valid Permit/License so Handgunlaw.us lists them also. I try to keep my opinion off Handgunlaw.us. I supply the information as presented by those in authority. Should I just not report that? Would I be doing the people who are not residents a service by not listing that?

WV is not the only state where elected and appointed officials are overstepping the bounds of the laws as written. But until they remove what such information Handgunlaw.us has to report it.

IMHO opinion the task is to disseminate accurate information in accordance with the stated laws. By quoting, repeating, or reporting such "opinions" of elected officials as factual conditions of law then a false impression of fact is perpetuated. We thereby become part of the problem.

Perhaps would be better to state what the law says and * or footnote the actual application or promotion thereof as it relates to the law.
Ex: Nothing in the statutes forbid carrying in a Police Station, but the AG lists them as off limits. That would be stating only facts too.

ccwnwv

Loaded handgun in a vehicle

Here is the printed read from the site;
Q. Is it lawful to carry weapons (e.g. rifles, shotguns, and pistols) in my vehicle when I travel in West Virginia?

A. Individuals who possess a valid concealed carry permit may carry a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle for purpose of self defense only. West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun. If you choose to carry an unconcealed handgun in your vehicle and are stopped by a law-enforcement officer, you must understand that that the weapon will immediately attract the attention of the police officer. The presence of the weapon may lead to action by the officer to ensure his or her safety such as the drawing of his or her weapon, ordering you from the vehicle, and/or performing a pat-down search. Weapons intended for hunting must be unloaded and in a case when transported in a vehicle. It is strongly recommended that, if you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, while traveling in a vehicle, that all firearms be unloaded and cased in a location in the vehicle that is not readily accessible to any of the occupants. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate location from the firearm.

http://www.statepolice.wv.gov/about/Pages/LegalDivisionFAQs.aspx