Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Park Ranger Shot

OT: Park Ranger Shot

http://www.nwcn.com/news/Ranger-shot...136505173.html

Prayers for the officer. Hope they catch this felon.

Update: Ranger has passed away, according to NWCN

UPDATE 2 JANUARY: Suspect believed to be dead.
    http://www.king5.com/news/crime/Mass...136532718.html
    Last edited by Stretch; 01-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Unhappy

She was only 34, and married with two kids I hope they catch the bastard.

A little more information. No doubt this person needs to be captured.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...k-ranger-shot/

KOMO tweeted about this...
    @KOMOnews Deputies have recovered a car filled w/weapons & body armor, along with survivalist gear but won't say car belongs to that person yet.
    Sounds like my car... I have a Kevlar vest in my trunk... Usually have weapons, and some survival gear... Just in case the SHTF... I think they are sensationalizing something that isn't inherently illegal. While this is tragic, there are people out there that are law abiding that carry stuff like that...

I hope they catch this guy sooner rather then later before he does something else... Sounds like if it his car that he is probably way ahead of them in the woods by now, and has the know-how to survive out there for some time until the search either ends, or he can make it to somewhere at get another set of wheels...

The day they searched Richard Jewel's house, they announced on CNN that they had found nails, duct tape, and steel pipe in his garage. I was sitting next to a State Trooper while he and I were donating blood. The nurse shook her head and says, "that's just terrible that they found all that stuff at his house." The Trooper and I looked at each other and started laughing. When the nurse asked why, the Trooper said - "tell her." So I told her, "I've got all that same stuff in my garage" and the Trooper says, "me too - and so does probably 90 percent of the people in the country."

Too many times these announcements are just sensationalism.

Your reloading scale is "drug paraphernalia," too.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Front page msnbc news. Seems quite a few more details available in the article, including the sediments statement below.

It has been legal for people to take loaded firearms into Mount Rainier since 2010, when a controversial federal law went into effect that made possession of firearms in national parks subject to state gun laws.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-national-park
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 01-02-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Fox News Update.

Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said late Sunday afternoon Benjamin Colton Barnes, a 24-year-old believed to have survivalist skills, was a "strong person of interest" in the slaying of Margaret Anderson. A parks spokesman said Barnes was an Iraq war veteran. Authorities recovered his vehicle, which had weapons and body armor inside, Troyer said.

Barnes was also a suspect in the early Sunday morning shooting of four people at a house party south of Seattle, police said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/01/ranger-killed-in-mount-rainier-national-park-shooting/#ixzz1iHC55cl4
    Some Vets have issues from mild to severe when returning home, there are programs and sometimes those who run those programs do an injustice to our vets while others do a good job, but none justify actions as this.
    Last edited by BigDave; 01-02-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

What I want to know is how he got in the military in the first place. The picture of him with those tats look white supremest/gang related. Which usually keeps you out. Of course if there had been a sign that said no guns allowed he would have turned around (sarcasum off).
    (Retired Army)
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

News said they're holding tourists in the visitor center and not letting them leave.

2 problems.

1. How can they detain these people without their consent.

2. How am I supposed to be detained illegally, then forced into a building where I would not be able to be lawfully (armed).

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    News said they're holding tourists in the visitor center and not letting them leave.

2 problems.

2. How am I supposed to be detained illegally, then forced into a building where I would not be able to be lawfully (armed).
    Those two questions have been rattling around in my head too. I have my thoughts on it...
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    Those two questions have been rattling around in my head too. I have my thoughts on it...
    I third that. Of course all the people there are probably helpless sheeple who WANT to be detained "for their own protection" (barf)...

But if one of them DID want to leave, what then?

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter66 View Post
    KOMO tweeted about this...

Sounds like my car... I have a Kevlar vest in my trunk... Usually have weapons, and some survival gear... Just in case the SHTF... I think they are sensationalizing something that isn't inherently illegal. While this is tragic, there are people out there that are law abiding that carry stuff like that...
    Let's not forget he's also carrying a bona-fide select-fire "assault rifle" according to Q13 *facepalm*
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

2 problems.

Kevin Bacher, a spokesman for the park, said about 125 people would spend Sunday night in the visitor center basement along with five law enforcement officers protecting the facility.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-national-park
    Can you cite where they report people are being detained or with out their consent?
    Last edited by BigDave; 01-02-2012 at 01:55 AM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I'm somewhat disturbed by this:

At Mount Rainier around 10:20 a.m. Sunday, Bacher said the gunman had sped past a checkpoint.

Founder's Club Member

2 problems.

ABC News just reported that over a hundred people are on lock-down inside the Jackson Visitor Center.

Boy, when they say "the park is closed", they really mean it. /sarcasm

From the NWCN.COM article: "The park was closed while police searched for the suspect. Visitors at the Paradise area were put in lock down at the Jackson Visitor Center along with park staff. Armored vehicles were being brought in to transport people from the surrounding cabins out of the area."

This may be why they locked the people in, so they could provide them safe travel out of the facilities the visitors were located at.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    SNIP This may be why they locked the people in, so they could provide them safe travel out of the facilities the visitors were located at.
    Huh!?! The government locked them in so they could transport them out?

I could go for the government locked out any bad guys until transport could be arranged, but locking people in strongly implies imprisonment, meaning non-consensually.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    But, but, but, it was for the CHILDREN!
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    I'm somewhat disturbed by this:
    News said it was a chain-up checkpoint, for checking tire snow chains. Not quite so nefarious.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

2 problems.

This has been on my mind as well. Most of the sheep proibably feel safe because 6 officers are guarding them. I for one would not consent to being detained especialy if I know that there was a combat vet out there and my only protection was 6 cops.

Is there a law that allows the authoritys to detain you like this, protectove custody?

I'm thinking that 'the whole mountain is a crime scene, and you can't disturb it' and 'we had to ascertain if any of the people were witnesses to the crime' would be the justification if someone pushed the issue.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    This has been on my mind as well. Most of the sheep proibably feel safe because 6 officers are guarding them. I for one would not consent to being detained especialy if I know that there was a combat vet out there and my only protection was 6 cops.

Is there a law that allows the authoritys to detain you like this, protectove custody?
    Even if there is a law, is the law valid under the constitutions of our state and nation?

They shut down a public park, and then imprison the public!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Anyone else disturbed by this?

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/0...night-for.html

snip..."Evacuee Dinh Jackson, a mother from Olympia, who came to the mountain to sled with family and friends, told The Associated Press that officials ordered people to hurry into the lodge after the shooting.

Jackson said officials had everyone get on their knees and place hands behind their heads as they went through the building, looking at faces to make sure the gunman was not among them."
    Last edited by dadada; 01-02-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    Anyone else disturbed by this?

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/0...night-for.html

snip..."Evacuee Dinh Jackson, a mother from Olympia, who came to the mountain to sled with family and friends, told The Associated Press that officials ordered people to hurry into the lodge after the shooting.

Jackson said officials had everyone get on their knees and place hands behind their heads as they went through the building, looking at faces to make sure the gunman was not among them."

For officer safety, of course.

Now here's the tricky part.

They claim it's to see if the suspect was one of them.

If I refuse to comply, they can very clearly see my face... negating any reason to interact with me.....yet I'm betting they'd force compliance..

Are you guys thinking the same way every time a school is "locked down" when there has been a shooting anywhere within a few miles? The kids can't leave, but neither are you allowed to go get your children, either. I happens a couple of times a year around here.

And people who home-school their children are just weird.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast