• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Park Ranger Shot

MadHatter66

KOMO tweeted about this...
@KOMOnews Deputies have recovered a car filled w/weapons & body armor, along with survivalist gear but won't say car belongs to that person yet.

Sounds like my car... I have a Kevlar vest in my trunk... Usually have weapons, and some survival gear... Just in case the SHTF... I think they are sensationalizing something that isn't inherently illegal. While this is tragic, there are people out there that are law abiding that carry stuff like that...

I hope they catch this guy sooner rather then later before he does something else... Sounds like if it his car that he is probably way ahead of them in the woods by now, and has the know-how to survive out there for some time until the search either ends, or he can make it to somewhere at get another set of wheels...

New Daddy

The day they searched Richard Jewel's house, they announced on CNN that they had found nails, duct tape, and steel pipe in his garage. I was sitting next to a State Trooper while he and I were donating blood. The nurse shook her head and says, "that's just terrible that they found all that stuff at his house." The Trooper and I looked at each other and started laughing. When the nurse asked why, the Trooper said - "tell her." So I told her, "I've got all that same stuff in my garage" and the Trooper says, "me too - and so does probably 90 percent of the people in the country."

Too many times these announcements are just sensationalism.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Fox News Update.

Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said late Sunday afternoon Benjamin Colton Barnes, a 24-year-old believed to have survivalist skills, was a "strong person of interest" in the slaying of Margaret Anderson. A parks spokesman said Barnes was an Iraq war veteran. Authorities recovered his vehicle, which had weapons and body armor inside, Troyer said.

Barnes was also a suspect in the early Sunday morning shooting of four people at a house party south of Seattle, police said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/01/ranger-killed-in-mount-rainier-national-park-shooting/#ixzz1iHC55cl4

Some Vets have issues from mild to severe when returning home, there are programs and sometimes those who run those programs do an injustice to our vets while others do a good job, but none justify actions as this.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
What I want to know is how he got in the military in the first place. The picture of him with those tats look white supremest/gang related. Which usually keeps you out. Of course if there had been a sign that said no guns allowed he would have turned around (sarcasum off).
(Retired Army)

TechnoWeenie

News said they're holding tourists in the visitor center and not letting them leave.

2 problems.

1. How can they detain these people without their consent.

2. How am I supposed to be detained illegally, then forced into a building where I would not be able to be lawfully (armed).

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
News said they're holding tourists in the visitor center and not letting them leave.

2 problems.

2. How am I supposed to be detained illegally, then forced into a building where I would not be able to be lawfully (armed).

Those two questions have been rattling around in my head too. I have my thoughts on it...

Metalhead47

Those two questions have been rattling around in my head too. I have my thoughts on it...

I third that. Of course all the people there are probably helpless sheeple who WANT to be detained "for their own protection" (barf)...

But if one of them DID want to leave, what then?

KOMO tweeted about this...

Sounds like my car... I have a Kevlar vest in my trunk... Usually have weapons, and some survival gear... Just in case the SHTF... I think they are sensationalizing something that isn't inherently illegal. While this is tragic, there are people out there that are law abiding that carry stuff like that...

Let's not forget he's also carrying a bona-fide select-fire "assault rifle" according to Q13 *facepalm*

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

2 problems.

Kevin Bacher, a spokesman for the park, said about 125 people would spend Sunday night in the visitor center basement along with five law enforcement officers protecting the facility.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...r-fatally-shot-at-mount-rainier-national-park

Can you cite where they report people are being detained or with out their consent?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

2 problems.

ABC News just reported that over a hundred people are on lock-down inside the Jackson Visitor Center.

Boy, when they say "the park is closed", they really mean it. /sarcasm

Stretch

From the NWCN.COM article: "The park was closed while police searched for the suspect. Visitors at the Paradise area were put in lock down at the Jackson Visitor Center along with park staff. Armored vehicles were being brought in to transport people from the surrounding cabins out of the area."

This may be why they locked the people in, so they could provide them safe travel out of the facilities the visitors were located at.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP This may be why they locked the people in, so they could provide them safe travel out of the facilities the visitors were located at.

Huh!?! The government locked them in so they could transport them out?

I could go for the government locked out any bad guys until transport could be arranged, but locking people in strongly implies imprisonment, meaning non-consensually.

Jeff Hayes

2 problems.

This has been on my mind as well. Most of the sheep proibably feel safe because 6 officers are guarding them. I for one would not consent to being detained especialy if I know that there was a combat vet out there and my only protection was 6 cops.

Is there a law that allows the authoritys to detain you like this, protectove custody?