Thread: Blanchard (Oklahoma) woman shoots, kills intruder

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association

Blanchard (Oklahoma) woman shoots, kills intruder

http://newsok.com/blanchard-woman-sh...rticle/3636876

Blanchard police responded to a home invasion Saturday. Chief Walt Thompson said Justin Shane Martin, 24, of Blanchard, was shot and killed after breaking into a home. A second intruder fled the scene was later surrendered to officers.

Good for her!! This old man is tickled pink to see these young women standing up and defending themselves. I hate it that a young man lost his life and another lost his freedom, but it was their choice.

Just needs to be more young women like her. I do hope she is able to move on from this event and not be forever haunted by it.

Here is a link to the NEWS9 story, where they interviewed her.

http://www.news9.com/story/16427212/...-home-invasion

Wow. Husband died, her dogs were possibly poisoned, now all this.

The only thing not absolutely horrible about that story is that she had the means, ability and willingness to defend herself and her child. I'll admit it, thinking about everything that poor woman has gone through kinda got me choked up a bit.

Centurion
    I am very glad that the mother and child are PHYSICALLY healthy and safe. It is truly sad that she was FORCED to defend herself and child with lethal force--- Glad that she did have the means available to her to do so.

I hope that she can and will recover from this emotional trauma forced upon her by these to persons that are a waste of skin and now at least one will no longer consume oxygen.

Question: Does Oklahoma, like some other states have a statute allowing trying the "other" burglar for the death of his partner... you know, a death that happens during the commission of a crime?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Question: Does Oklahoma, like some other states have a statute allowing trying the "other" burglar for the death of his partner... you know, a death that happens during the commission of a crime?
    Yes, and the accomplice is being charged with Murder1.

Here is a follow up story, with video interview of the young lady.
    http://newsok.com/teen-mother-kills-...rticle/3637495
    Last edited by okiebryan; 01-05-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the link...duh.

Oklahoma-
    Castle doctrine - check (just adopted recently)
    Accomplice charged if death occurs - check.

=======
    States with weak or no specific Castle Law (wiki)

These states uphold castle doctrine in general, but may rely on case law instead of specific legislation, may enforce a duty to retreat, and may impose specific restrictions on the use of deadly force.

* Idaho (Homicide is justified if defending a home from "tumultuous" entry; duty to retreat not specifically removed)
    * South Dakota "Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person while resisting any attempt to murder such person, or to commit any felony upon him or her, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person is." SD Codified Laws 22-16-34 (2005).
    * Iowa ([41])
    * Nebraska
    * New Mexico
    * Virginia
    * Vermont
    * District of Columbia
    ----
    All criminals should move to DC, IMO. (lol, see what I did there?) Or, South Dakota - nobody lives there, heh.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Stories like this make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Activist Member
    I also saw nothing wrong in how she defended herself. If the suspect forced his way in after countless measures she was doing to protect from him getting inside her home, then she had no choice.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Oklahoma-
    Castle doctrine - check (just amended recently)
    Accomplice charged if death occurs - check.
    fixed it for you

05/12/05 - Gov. Brad Henry signed into a "Stand Your Ground" bill. “This act will allow law-abiding Oklahomans to protect themselves, their loved ones and their property,” Gov. Henry said. The effective date of the bill is 11/01/2006. Oklahoma’s "Make My Day" law currently provides citizens the right to protect themselves inside their homes, but that right does not extend to other locations. The major provisions of the new law will

And this modified the already existing the Oklahoma Self Defense Act ... basically removed some constraints on homeowners defending themselves such as duty to retreat, fleeing felon issues, inside the threshold/outside the threshold, etc. Oklahomans have always had the authority to shoot intruders inside the home.

The latest modification to the SDA was in response to the charges and conviction of the Oklahoma Pharmacist Erslin recently. His conviction is currently making it's way to the Appeals Court, and if they don't vacate the conviction, Gov. Fallin has pledged to act.
    Last edited by okboomer; 01-09-2012 at 12:46 AM.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

What get's me is that these to idjits targeted the house, knowing the husband passed away from cancer, and that they were after the narcotic pain meds he would have been on. Don't they know that the hospital sends a couple of RNs out to inventory and secure the meds as soon as they are notified of the death? The doctor used to do it (home hospice physicians), but with all the new 'drug laws', it is now the responsibility of the local county hospital to round up all the meds.

Equally disturbing is the interview with Sarah's mom in which she says that she thinks one of these two guys had stalked her daughter several years earlier after he spotted her at a fair.

What is not in question is that they TARGETED this home specifically!

I would also expect the defense attorney to move for a change of venue as Blanchard is a small community for all intents and purposes in this situation. Everyone in town will know one of the three central figures, or know someone who is related to one of them. I'll have to check with the cousins that live there and see how well known these folks are.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!