• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blanchard (Oklahoma) woman shoots, kills intruder

SFCRetired

Good for her!! This old man is tickled pink to see these young women standing up and defending themselves. I hate it that a young man lost his life and another lost his freedom, but it was their choice.

Just needs to be more young women like her. I do hope she is able to move on from this event and not be forever haunted by it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
The only thing not absolutely horrible about that story is that she had the means, ability and willingness to defend herself and her child. I'll admit it, thinking about everything that poor woman has gone through kinda got me choked up a bit.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am very glad that the mother and child are PHYSICALLY healthy and safe. It is truly sad that she was FORCED to defend herself and child with lethal force--- Glad that she did have the means available to her to do so.

I hope that she can and will recover from this emotional trauma forced upon her by these to persons that are a waste of skin and now at least one will no longer consume oxygen.

Question: Does Oklahoma, like some other states have a statute allowing trying the "other" burglar for the death of his partner... you know, a death that happens during the commission of a crime?

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Oklahoma-
Castle doctrine - check (just adopted recently)
Accomplice charged if death occurs - check.

=======
States with weak or no specific Castle Law (wiki)

These states uphold castle doctrine in general, but may rely on case law instead of specific legislation, may enforce a duty to retreat, and may impose specific restrictions on the use of deadly force.

* Idaho (Homicide is justified if defending a home from "tumultuous" entry; duty to retreat not specifically removed)
* South Dakota "Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person while resisting any attempt to murder such person, or to commit any felony upon him or her, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person is." SD Codified Laws 22-16-34 (2005).
* Iowa ([41])
* Nebraska
* New Mexico
* Virginia
* Vermont
* District of Columbia
----
All criminals should move to DC, IMO. (lol, see what I did there?) Or, South Dakota - nobody lives there, heh.

DWCook

Activist Member
I also saw nothing wrong in how she defended herself. If the suspect forced his way in after countless measures she was doing to protect from him getting inside her home, then she had no choice.

okboomer

Oklahoma-
Castle doctrine - check (just amended recently)
Accomplice charged if death occurs - check.

fixed it for you :D

05/12/05 - Gov. Brad Henry signed into a "Stand Your Ground" bill. “This act will allow law-abiding Oklahomans to protect themselves, their loved ones and their property,” Gov. Henry said. The effective date of the bill is 11/01/2006. Oklahoma’s "Make My Day" law currently provides citizens the right to protect themselves inside their homes, but that right does not extend to other locations. The major provisions of the new law will

And this modified the already existing the Oklahoma Self Defense Act ... basically removed some constraints on homeowners defending themselves such as duty to retreat, fleeing felon issues, inside the threshold/outside the threshold, etc. Oklahomans have always had the authority to shoot intruders inside the home.

The latest modification to the SDA was in response to the charges and conviction of the Oklahoma Pharmacist Erslin recently. His conviction is currently making it's way to the Appeals Court, and if they don't vacate the conviction, Gov. Fallin has pledged to act.

Last edited:

okboomer

What get's me is that these to idjits targeted the house, knowing the husband passed away from cancer, and that they were after the narcotic pain meds he would have been on. Don't they know that the hospital sends a couple of RNs out to inventory and secure the meds as soon as they are notified of the death? The doctor used to do it (home hospice physicians), but with all the new 'drug laws', it is now the responsibility of the local county hospital to round up all the meds.

Equally disturbing is the interview with Sarah's mom in which she says that she thinks one of these two guys had stalked her daughter several years earlier after he spotted her at a fair.

What is not in question is that they TARGETED this home specifically!

I would also expect the defense attorney to move for a change of venue as Blanchard is a small community for all intents and purposes in this situation. Everyone in town will know one of the three central figures, or know someone who is related to one of them. I'll have to check with the cousins that live there and see how well known these folks are.