• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun when building a barn

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was trying to do an addition to my barn on Saturday.
Zeus and I went to town to get something and when we got back, Dog Hunters. Notice how happy the SOBS's are to see me.

They scatter like cockroaches so I spent the next 4 hours looking for all of them. I was at it well after dark.

I almost shot a snipe by mistake...it looked a little like it was about to do grievous bodily harm.:lol:

Anyway, I got them all cleared out and they went to someone else's place that wasn't home:uhoh:

And yeah...I'm wearing baggy pants, but no wifebeaters.

[video=vimeo;34445103]http://vimeo.com/34445103[/video]

Last edited:

JamesB

I was trying to do an addition to my barn on Saturday.
Zeus and I went to town to get something and when we got back, Dog Hunters. Notice how happy the SOBS's are to see me.

They scatter like cockroaches so I spent the next 4 hours looking for all of them. I was at it well after dark.

I almost shot a snipe by mistake...it looked a little like it was about to do grievous bodily harm.:lol:

Anyway, I got them all cleared out and they went to someone else's place that wasn't home:uhoh:

And yeah...I'm wearing baggy pants, but no wifebeaters.

So, I know about deer hunters, but...

So are wild dogs a problem there? Where do ya get a permit? How do they taste?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So they were illegally trespassing on your property?

The usual....

One bunch was on the public road and another sneaked in to turn the dogs loose. Then the dogs would supposedly run the deer out. Doesn't work but Dog Hunters are lazy, not smart.

It was the ones that had sneaked in I was after.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The usual....

One bunch was on the public road and another sneaked in to turn the dogs loose. Then the dogs would supposedly run the deer out. Doesn't work but Dog Hunters are lazy, not smart.

Just to get an idea, this is about a mile as the crow flies, into my farm.

dog-2.jpg

Last edited:

VApatriot

The usual....

The dogs aren't much smarter either. I was driving through G.W. National Forest on my way to shoot some squirrels in Highland County on the day after Christmas, and I had to come to about a complete stop to avoid a dog that decided to stand in the middle of the road. It had evidently wandered any from a large group of hunters that I had passed about a quarter-mile back.

Zak Kee

with a well aimed 223 or 5.56 round after all they could be dangerous ........no dawgs no dog hunters problem solved

I have had to do it before. Was deer hunting on our own private property and someone let dogs loose just as I took aim from a deer stand. The dogs ran my buck out from in front of my sights, so the dog ended up doing some acrobatics at full speed. Did what I had to...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
...about me "dog hunting". Am I on ths #$%^ list now? :)

Course not!
I thought I replied to the PM:banghead:

You'll enjoy this. This is the one I decided not to shoot early in the season.:lol:

[video=vimeo;34448954]http://vimeo.com/34448954[/video]

Ranger

Know the Law - Hunting Dogs are Protected by Law

I would not recommend admitting to committing a criminal act in such a place. I am new to deer hunting with dogs and have enjoyed the excitement of the hunts. I also enjoy still hunting and am also annoyed when other hunters decide my property is better for them.

Remember it is not the dogs fault on where it does what it enjoys and is bread to do. Call the police and conservation officers to report hunting crimes, treaspassing hunting has got to stop.

It is a class one misdemeanor in Virginia to remove a tracking collar (§ 18.2-97.1). The penalty may be up to a one thousand dollar fine and one year in prison. Obviously, there are other charges that may be filed related to the destruction or attempt to dispose of the collar. The theft of the dog (§18.2-97) or killing a dog (§ 18.2-144) are both class five felonies with prison time, fines and the loss of citizenship (loss of the right to keep and bear arms) as a consequence. It is unlawful for any person to deliver or release any animal not owned by that person to a pound, animal shelter or humane society or to pretend to be the agent of the owner (§ 18.2-144.2).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I would not recommend admitting to committing a criminal act in such a place. I am new to deer hunting with dogs and have enjoyed the excitement of the hunts. I also enjoy still hunting and am also annoyed when other hunters decide my property is better for them.

Remember it is not the dogs fault on where it does what it enjoys and is bread to do. Call the police and conservation officers to report hunting crimes, treaspassing hunting has got to stop.

It is a class one misdemeanor in Virginia to remove a tracking collar (§ 18.2-97.1). The penalty may be up to a one thousand dollar fine and one year in prison. Obviously, there are other charges that may be filed related to the destruction or attempt to dispose of the collar. The theft of the dog (§18.2-97) or killing a dog (§ 18.2-144) are both class five felonies with prison time, fines and the loss of citizenship (loss of the right to keep and bear arms) as a consequence. It is unlawful for any person to deliver or release any animal not owned by that person to a pound, animal shelter or humane society or to pretend to be the agent of the owner (§ 18.2-144.2).

And who said they shot dogs, removed collars or turned dogs into pounds?
Fact is, I like dogs...a hell of a lot more than I do some dog hunters!

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

scouser

I told peter about what a colleague of mine did at the start of gun season. He has several acres and said he was tired of dog hunters allowing their dogs to run through his property including going up to his house and urinating on his deck (the dogs not the humans), so he invited people he knew to come out to his home and bring their firearms. He turned his yard into a makeshift firing range and we made rather a lot of noise to scare the dogs away. We only saw one the whole day, he said usually he'd see a couple of dozen or more. We did see one pickup truck drive up to his house, past countless no trespassing signs, until it got to where we were all parked and we walked over with black long guns (ie obviously not hunting rifles) slung across our chests, whereupon they left rather quickly

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I told peter about what a colleague of mine did at the start of gun season. He has several acres and said he was tired of dog hunters allowing their dogs to run through his property including going up to his house and urinating on his deck (the dogs not the humans), so he invited people he knew to come out to his home and bring their firearms. He turned his yard into a makeshift firing range and we made rather a lot of noise to scare the dogs away. We only saw one the whole day, he said usually he'd see a couple of dozen or more. We did see one pickup truck drive up to his house, past countless no trespassing signs, until it got to where we were all parked and we walked over with black long guns (ie obviously not hunting rifles) slung across our chests, whereupon they left rather quickly

That's part of the problem Scouser. Ranger is a good example. He quoted some laws that weren't really applicable and I suspect it's because he heard it from another dog hunter who heard it from Kirby Birtch.

What he didn't quote was that hunters can retrieve their dogs on posted property.
The key word is retrieve, not look for. I had one idiot tell me as long as he had a leash in his hand, he could go anywhere he wanted. He left kinda fast for some reason.

The hunters driving to your friends house is another example. The law very bluntly says they cannot take a vehicle or a weapon on posted property. They have to walk. Just driving past the posted sign was a violation.

These morons think the law applies to everyone but them and that's why they are killing the sport for all dog hunters, even the ethical ones.

Old Virginia Joe

Actually, the penalty is a up to a $2500 fine, and/or 12 months (not one year) in jail (not prison).....

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-11

I just read a bunch here about what the penalties are for people trying by various ways to maintain control over their own land, and they are pretty steep. Just what are the penalties for the violations related to trespassing, and setting dogs to run another man's land? A kiss and a hug? I bet the penalties are stacked against the landowner. "It's for the cheeeldren (animals)" don't you know. PETA and all that, I guess. Here in Isle of Wight County I am another one fed up with having my land over run with unknown dogs every stinking year, and people driving up my long lane, and parking all along the public road in front of my house, watching me come and go, waiting on something on four legs to come out of the woods or fields.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I just read a bunch here about what the penalties are for people trying by various ways to maintain control over their own land, and they are pretty steep. Just what are the penalties for the violations related to trespassing, and setting dogs to run another man's land? A kiss and a hug? I bet the penalties are stacked against the landowner. "It's for the cheeeldren (animals)" don't you know. PETA and all that, I guess. Here in Isle of Wight County I am another one fed up with having my land over run with unknown dogs every stinking year, and people driving up my long lane, and parking all along the public road in front of my house, watching me come and go, waiting on something on four legs to come out of the woods or fields.

Well Joe, all it takes is getting bills past the Agriculture Committee. It's the landowners Death Star. A Dog Hunting bill goes there and it's dead.
Old Virginia has several hundred landowners that have pushed for protection. We need more. I was able to sneak in a Lease bill a while back that will come in handy if I can get another bill I'm working on, through.

A couple of years ago there was a Bill to increase the penalties for violating the existing hunting laws. I had enough votes to pass it in both the House and Senate. I even convinced Saslaw it was an anti gun bill and he promised to vote for it.

The Committee stopped it dead in it's tracks.

Come join the fight, save a few dogs and help us get some legislation through.

67GT390FB

Actually you are correct that PETA is the cause of some of these laws. I think the penalties for removing collars and turning in dogs to the pound came about from several PETA activists getting caught redhanded stealing hunting dogs. See PETA hates dog hunting thinks its cruel to the dogs blah blah blah. now on the other hand i think peter needs to buy himself some chickens for his farm and then the effing dogs would be chasing his livestock and therefore free game since he can't shoot the cockroaches.