Thread: where to put a gun in a car

where to put a gun in a car

alright, so im 18 and was wondering where can i keep my gun at in my car? right now i have it in the door compartment but i got to thinking if my leg is right there than would it be CC?

i know the glove box and on the dash broad but where else? is it fine where it is?

Quote Originally Posted by righttobarearms View Post
    alright, so im 18 and was wondering where can i keep my gun at in my car? right now i have it in the door compartment but i got to thinking if my leg is right there than would it be CC?

i know the glove box and on the dash broad but where else? is it fine where it is?
    Any factory installed compartment, with or without a locking mechanism~ I think it's CC if you wear it on your hip or a drop-leg, not for sure on that one. Nor am I for sure on the door compartment~
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

1) Read SEction 8 at http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/020.PDF

3) Learn how to do basic legal research like looking up the laws. Depending on what someone on the internet tells you is as safe as bobbing for apples with a bloody nose in a tub full of pirhana.

3) Remember that OCDO expects posters to provide citations to support their statements about what a law allows or prohibits. If someone does not provide a citation read #2 above once more.

4) Be sure to check http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/110.pdf to make sure you are good to go at age 18. Just reading to see where you can stow your handgun may not give you the complete answer.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 01-02-2012 at 04:30 AM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Activist Member
    Console, glove box, seat pocket, under the seat storage, rear storage, anywhere as long as it's an enclosed compartment and was installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle. It does not have to be locked, and your firearm can be loaded. You can carry any other deadly weapon in these places as well, like batons, any knife, brass knuckles, nunchucks..... Not that these are things that would normally be carried, but state law does allow us to carry these weapons as well.

All the places mentioned above sound right but remember you can also carry a gun openly in your vehicle. The places mentioned above are the places one can carry a gun concealed but it will not be legally considered concealed. The best advice for you is to read and understand the law for yourself. I know I am not a lawyer just like mist people you will talk to on the Internet.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Console, glove box, seat pocket, under the seat storage, rear storage, anywhere as long as it's an enclosed compartment and was installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle. It does not have to be locked, and your firearm can be loaded. You can carry any other deadly weapon in these places as well, like batons, any knife, brass knuckles, nunchucks..... Not that these are things that would normally be carried, but state law does allow us to carry these weapons as well.

I thought brass knuckles were outlawed in Kentucky?
    I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands! ~ Charlton Heston (1923 -- 2008)

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand be faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had a gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass. ~ The Gunfighter’s Prayer

Nope, they're even mentioned in the CCDW laws as legal to be carried concealed with a CCDW.

http://docjt.jus.state.ky.us/forms/C...%20WEAPONS.pdf

As used in the Kentucky Penal Code, (See KRS 500.080.) "Deadly weapon" means any
    of the following:

(h) Artificial knuckles made from metal, plastic, or other similar hard material;

Cool

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit! I'm buying me a set. muahahahahaha
    I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands! ~ Charlton Heston (1923 -- 2008)

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand be faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had a gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass. ~ The Gunfighter’s Prayer

Activist Member
    Yep, you can also carry them in the open on your person, if you don't have a cdwl, although I imagine it would be slightly difficult.

There are actually brass knuckles manufactured that also function as a belt buckle. I don't know how quick a fellow could deploy them, but I guess that would qualify as open carry.