• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

where to put a gun in a car

righttobarearms

alright, so im 18 and was wondering where can i keep my gun at in my car? right now i have it in the door compartment but i got to thinking if my leg is right there than would it be CC?

i know the glove box and on the dash broad but where else? is it fine where it is?

DrakeZ07

alright, so im 18 and was wondering where can i keep my gun at in my car? right now i have it in the door compartment but i got to thinking if my leg is right there than would it be CC?

i know the glove box and on the dash broad but where else? is it fine where it is?

Any factory installed compartment, with or without a locking mechanism~ I think it's CC if you wear it on your hip or a drop-leg, not for sure on that one. Nor am I for sure on the door compartment~

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
1) Read SEction 8 at http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/020.PDF

3) Learn how to do basic legal research like looking up the laws. Depending on what someone on the internet tells you is as safe as bobbing for apples with a bloody nose in a tub full of pirhana.

3) Remember that OCDO expects posters to provide citations to support their statements about what a law allows or prohibits. If someone does not provide a citation read #2 above once more.

4) Be sure to check http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/110.pdf to make sure you are good to go at age 18. Just reading to see where you can stow your handgun may not give you the complete answer.

stay safe.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Console, glove box, seat pocket, under the seat storage, rear storage, anywhere as long as it's an enclosed compartment and was installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle. It does not have to be locked, and your firearm can be loaded. You can carry any other deadly weapon in these places as well, like batons, any knife, brass knuckles, nunchucks..... Not that these are things that would normally be carried, but state law does allow us to carry these weapons as well.

mellio

All the places mentioned above sound right but remember you can also carry a gun openly in your vehicle. The places mentioned above are the places one can carry a gun concealed but it will not be legally considered concealed. The best advice for you is to read and understand the law for yourself. I know I am not a lawyer just like mist people you will talk to on the Internet.

mem1977

Console, glove box, seat pocket, under the seat storage, rear storage, anywhere as long as it's an enclosed compartment and was installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle. It does not have to be locked, and your firearm can be loaded. You can carry any other deadly weapon in these places as well, like batons, any knife, brass knuckles, nunchucks..... Not that these are things that would normally be carried, but state law does allow us to carry these weapons as well.

I thought brass knuckles were outlawed in Kentucky? :eek::confused:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Yep, you can also carry them in the open on your person, if you don't have a cdwl, although I imagine it would be slightly difficult.

2A Pride

There are actually brass knuckles manufactured that also function as a belt buckle. I don't know how quick a fellow could deploy them, but I guess that would qualify as open carry.