• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the board, My first post.

person DJ

In Dover the front door of our court house does have a no weapon sign. The first floor is where one conducts business like paying property taxes or renewing license plates. All court procedings are on the second floor. I know by law no guns are allowed in court. I wonder if this sign is in the wrong place. I fell sure the court house is not on private property. My question is, should a person be allowed to carry to do business in the court house Or do I not understand the law.

Fallguy

You are right in that a room where a judicial proceeding is taking place is off-limits by law (39-17-1306). You are also correct that it doesn't mean the whole courthouse is off-limits.

However the posting law (39-17-1359), allows any local, state or federal government entity to post their property in addition to privately owned property. So the county can legally post the entire court house.

I would contact your county mayor about the sign and/or go to the next county commissioners meeting.