Thread: Journalism fail - national park ranger shot

Journalism fail - national park ranger shot

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss
    snip
    A man who was being sought in the shooting of four people at a New Year's party in South King County early Sunday is suspected in the fatal shooting of a park ranger in Mount Rainier National Park later in the morning.

Park Ranger Margaret Anderson, a mother of two who was married to another ranger at the park, was shot about 10:30 a.m. after setting up a roadblock to stop a car that was fleeing another officer.

She was shot when the driver apparently stepped out of the vehicle with a shotgun and opened fire. It took authorities nearly 90 minutes to get to her because the assailant continued to fire an assault rifle at Pierce County SWAT team officers as they tried to assist the injured ranger, officials said.
    The fail...(IMO, maybe you think this is why the shooting was able to take place.):

Congress lifted a ban on carrying loaded guns in national parks in February 2010 amid warnings by critics that the action would lead to gun violence and poaching.
    Seriously? This is implying that a ban on loaded guns would stop this guy. O_O Isn't there already a ban on shooting park rangers and fleeing form law enforcement?
    Last edited by Schlitz; 01-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

I'm so glad this article came out. We need gun bans to stop criminals from shooting at police while fleeing arrest.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss
    snip

The fail...(IMO, maybe you think this is why the shooting was able to take place.):

Seriously? This is implying that a ban on loaded guns would stop this guy. O_O Isn't there already a ban on shooting park rangers and fleeing form law enforcement?
    . YOU SIR NAILED THAT ONE ON THE HEAD !! The ANTI GUN'S will use anything and everything to strike down the 2nd amendment ....

in my opinion this journalist is pathetic for even putting it like that . FAIL
    Last edited by thieltech; 01-02-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__ <<<<<<<<< I like this guys jeep .
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_) INNOvATIONS are what i leave behind for history

This is an absolute tragedy, and I know I'm going to be flamed to no end for this, but this really just proves that public places are absolutely no place for firearms. I'm all for firearms ownership and defense in the home and your vehicle, but if there is any chance that a ban on firearms in National Parks still in effect would have stopped this heinous crime, a wife, mother, and protector of the innocent would still be alive today. I don't think you *need* a firearm when you're grocery shopping or at Wal Mart, but that's a little off topic. Can someone please tell me a justifiable reason why anyone would need a firearm in a National Park? They have Park Rangers for a reason, as well as designated trails to mitigate the chance of running into dangerous wildlife. This all could have been avoided if sensible gun control was left in effect. I hope the Brady Campaign tears this apart./troll
    Last edited by shastadude17; 01-02-2012 at 02:24 PM.

It is not just the Seattle Times with poor reporting.

Below is what is on Foxnews.com and appears to have taken most of the report from the AP.

"It has been legal for people to take loaded firearms into Mount Rainier since 2010, when a federal law went into effect that made possession of firearms in national parks subject to state gun laws.

Bill Wade, the outgoing chair of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, said Congress should be regretting its decision to allow loaded weapons in national parks. He called Sunday's fatal shooting a tragedy that could have been prevented. He hopes Congress will reconsider the law that took effect in early 2010, but doubts that will happen in today's political climate."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/02...#ixzz1iKZeAx3M

I am curious to how Sunday's fatal shooting could have been prevented by a gun buster sign?

Quote Originally Posted by shastadude17 View Post
    This is an absolute tragedy, and I know I'm going to be flamed to no end for this, but this really just proves that public places are absolutely no place for firearms. I'm all for firearms ownership and defense in the home and your vehicle, but if there is any chance that a ban on firearms in National Parks still in effect would have stopped this heinous crime, a wife, mother, and protector of the innocent would still be alive today. I don't think you *need* a firearm when you're grocery shopping or at Wal Mart, but that's a little off topic. Can someone please tell me a justifiable reason why anyone would need a firearm in a National Park? They have Park Rangers for a reason, as well as designated trails to mitigate the chance of running into dangerous wildlife. This all could have been avoided if sensible gun control was left in effect. I hope the Brady Campaign tears this apart./troll
    can't tell if serious troll or not, so here goes.

This one's easy. To give ourselves a chance at defending ourselves against a psycho like the guy in the story.

But I have a question for you, Mr. shastadudetroll. What makes you think having a ban on guns in the park is going to stop some dude that already has the wherewithal to shoot someone in the first place? Do you really think he's going to care? This guy is probably illegally in posession of this gun in the first place.

As for the "Park Rangers for a reason" statement, I have another question for you: How long do you think the shooter is going to wait while I call up the park rangers to come stop him? How is having a park ranger halfway across the park going to help me when I have about 5 seconds left to live?

If you're serious, these are serious questions I'd like to know the answers to.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

You know what else could have stopped this? A law against killing people. Or a law that makes it illegal to carry without a permit. Or a background check...oh wait. There are laws on the books already in regards to these things and they didn't stop him. So what makes you think another law would have magically stopped him?

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    You know what else could have stopped this? A law against killing people. Or a law that makes it illegal to carry without a permit. Or a background check...oh wait. There are laws on the books already in regards to these things and they didn't stop him. So what makes you think another law would have magically stopped him?
    I couldn't have said it better.

If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

I was trolling...hence /troll

/troll
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    can't tell if serious troll or not, so here goes.
    /troll

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    So what makes you think another law would have magically stopped him?
    /troll
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    I couldn't have said it better.

/troll
    I get the feeling that this guy was being sarcastic....you know...since the post ended with /troll, like some end with /sarcasm....
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

well,,,

I get the feeling that this guy was being sarcastic....you know...since the post ended with /troll, like some end with /sarcasm....
    I enjoyed his post,,, i could smell the sarcazm as i read,,, when at the end I saw /troll,,, I knew I was right.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

/sarcasm would work better. Just because someone is trolling doesn't mean that they don't actually feel the way that they are sounding, it just means that they are purposely trying to rile others up. And when he did /troll I took it as him stating that he was either purposely trolling us, or he was expecting to get called a troll. As this is the internet it can sometimes be hard to tell one's intentions

I wonder what the arrival time of a Ranger in the woods is...downtown Seattle is a few minutes, Rangers must be at least an hour. Maybe if you were being attacked by a turtle?!
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 01-03-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

On stumbleupon.com I have found this story 4 or so times, each talk about how the law was changed. And some had comments asking why that was in there.

I don't think anyone believes that, in this case, it would have helped to have made the carrying of guns in a national park illegal. But if you prod it around in peoples minds you can move them very fast in the direction you want them to go. But that is the right of a journalist, as long as it isn't slander they have the right to print/post it.

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Hence my brief response.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...