Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Hero Fired.....

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    276

    Hero Fired.....


  2. #2
    Regular Member G22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    74
    Reporter: "So they were pointing a gun in your face, did you sense despite the fact that they were pointing a gun, that you were threatened?"

    You just can't make this stuff up...Where do they find these "journalists"?

  3. #3
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by G22 View Post
    Reporter: "So they were pointing a gun in your face, did you sense despite the fact that they were pointing a gun, that you were threatened?"

    You just can't make this stuff up...Where do they find these "journalists"?
    Actually, the journalist was spot on in the whole interview, and did a great job exposing the stupidity of the company for firing an employee who defended his own life. I think the point of the question you quoted was for the journalist to elicit from the employee that there was more than one factor giving the employee reason to fear for his life. Journalists, like lawyers, sometimes ask questions they already know the answer to, in order to hammer something home.

    This was an intelligent journalist, with a great piece that was favorable toward self-defense and ridiculing of the company's (Circle K) stupid anti self-defense policy.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  4. #4
    Regular Member NHCGRPR45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesterfield Township, MI
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Actually, the journalist was spot on in the whole interview, and did a great job exposing the stupidity of the company for firing an employee who defended his own life. I think the point of the question you quoted was for the journalist to elicit from the employee that there was more than one factor giving the employee reason to fear for his life. Journalists, like lawyers, sometimes ask questions they already know the answer to, in order to hammer something home.

    This was an intelligent journalist, with a great piece that was favorable toward self-defense and ridiculing of the company's (Circle K) stupid anti self-defense policy.
    Agreed, unfortunately it is about liabillity, it costs less for the employee to get killed than for the employee to get the company sued after defending him/herself. He did well and should be commended for his presence of mind and restraint, not fired.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

    Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    What liability?

    ^all caps auto censored^
    Last edited by stainless1911; 01-03-2012 at 12:53 AM.

  6. #6
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    What liability?

    ^all caps auto censored^
    A start
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_of_life

    The liability angle is bunk. If I'm killed while on the job because I couldn't have a firearm, my heirs will sue the employer AND the shooter. And they will pay out something. So it costs them (Employer or Insurance company) money.

    If I defend myself with the blessing of my employer and I kill a bad guy the bad guys family will sue the employer and me (I will have some shaky legal protection from suit if shooting is justified.) the employer will not have protection and will pay out money.

    In both cases the Employer gets sued and more than likely settles.

    In one case the bad guys know the employees are defenseless and in the other they may not be. Which place does the bad guy target? Which one will have the less in-the-long-run liability due to being pro-active?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  7. #7
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Circle K is owned by a Canadian company these days isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Why would ANY judge award money to a criminal or the family of one, from either the SD citizen, or an employer?

  9. #9
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Why would ANY judge award money to a criminal or the family of one, from either the SD citizen, or an employer?
    You assume too much. Settlements don't need no judge.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wayne County, MI.
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    A start
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_of_life

    The liability angle is bunk. If I'm killed while on the job because I couldn't have a firearm, my heirs will sue the employer AND the shooter. And they will pay out something. So it costs them (Employer or Insurance company) money.

    If I defend myself with the blessing of my employer and I kill a bad guy the bad guys family will sue the employer and me (I will have some shaky legal protection from suit if shooting is justified.) the employer will not have protection and will pay out money.

    In both cases the Employer gets sued and more than likely settles.

    In one case the bad guys know the employees are defenseless and in the other they may not be. Which place does the bad guy target? Which one will have the less in-the-long-run liability due to being pro-active?
    It was explained to me that you did not have to work anyplace that didn't allow you to defend yourself, so if you end up dead it was your own fault for voluntarily taking that job.
    Last edited by Super Trucker; 01-03-2012 at 11:12 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member NHCGRPR45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesterfield Township, MI
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Why would ANY judge award money to a criminal or the family of one, from either the SD citizen, or an employer?
    Some of Castle Doctrine laws were written to ensure a criminal couldn't sue a person for getting hurt in your home. I have heard of the criminal who fell through a families sky light and won millions, no I can't cite it. Its something I heard a long time ago.

    And I don't think its the issue of being sued in the first place its more of a damage control measure. My company has armed and unarmed accounts the armed accounts not only cost more for the better trained security officer but the insurance premiums that go along with it. Being sued is a given, its just how much the insurance company/client has to pay out before the insurance stops and the personal checks start.

    Do I agree with it mostly no, but I do understand it.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

    Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I think the skylight thing was in Europe somewhere, not sure tho.

  13. #13
    Regular Member fozzy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    932
    Last edited by fozzy71; 01-04-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

  14. #14
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    It was explained to me that you did not have to work anyplace that didn't allow you to defend yourself, so if you end up dead it was your own fault for voluntarily taking that job.
    Still wont stop a suit.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •