Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open carry?

open carry?

why is it that everywhere i look says that ct is a open carry but im told that if i open carry i could lose my premit ? is there something im missing or am i just misunderstanding what i have read?

Quote Originally Posted by jason84 View Post
    why is it that everywhere i look says that ct is a open carry but im told that if i open carry i could lose my premit ? is there something im missing or am i just misunderstanding what i have read?

Who told you you can lose your permit? Maybe if you surrender it but nobody has been convicted of any crime for OCing for awhile now. What may well happen is you get harassed, detained & scrutinized though. Its pretty well settled that there is no concealment requirement at this point, though you will get different opinions from LEO, those are just opinions & not worth much in court.

thank you

thank you for the info also i have only just been approved my permit and have yet to go to middletown to get the 5 year permit can anyone tell me the process for when i go to middletown so i know how long roughly i will be there

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jason84 View Post
    Have no idea who is telling you that you can lose your permit for OCing, but just not so.

Summary
    Connecticut is not a traditional open carry state. Outside of your own residence or place of business, a permit is required to carry. The permit that Connecticut issues is a carry permit, not a concealed carry permit, so open carry IS legal with a permit.
    http://www.opencarry.org/ct.html

Caution warranted - CT does not have state preemption, individual localities can (some do) restrict carry:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/connecticut.pdf
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Who told you that you can lose your permit for carrying unconcealed?

What he said.

The BFPE has said time and time again, that is not a reason to revoke a permit. Those are fast hearings too!

I would like Florida's laws about towns not following statutes.... they pay the fine. Town and individual causing the infraction. If we had more of that, we'd have less municipalities dragging their feet. The one thing they don't like losing is money.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

I don't think it matters who told him that seeing as, in my experience, I haven't met anyone personally who knows that open carry is legal in CT. Every class that I teach, the students ask about it and when I tell them that it is legal, they say something along the lines of, "But (insert sister's brother-in-law's name) said that if someone sees your gun, you can get arrested" or, "But I've never seen anyone open carry".

Not one person so far has known the truth and I end up spending an hour every class convincing them that it is legal.

The word just isn't out there. In order for someone to find out, they need to actively seek out the truth and there just aren't enough people out there doing that and 95% of them are most likely gun owners or perspective gun owners. People are raised knowing the rules of the road or the golden rule. Education of the public needs to be done on a large scale. Not very many people go to a particular Starbucks on a particular day to make a real difference.

I am, however, a hypocrite because I have never carried openly even though I preach its legality.

Quote Originally Posted by SickPythons View Post
    "But I've never seen anyone open carry".
    And this is why everyone who knows the truth needs to be out there carrying unconcealed.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    And this is why everyone who knows the truth needs to be out there carrying unconcealed.
    "A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost" - believe it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I don't think they NEED to. It's a choice. I do in the city where I live and depending on what I'm doing otherwise.

It should remain a permit holders CHOICE. That being said, I want us to stay open carry in this state!

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by SickPythons View Post

I am, however, a hypocrite because I have never carried openly even though I preach its legality.
    I don't see that as hypocritical. Even if you aren't practicing OC, you are still supporting it, and that's what matters

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    I don't think they NEED to. It's a choice.
    It goes without saying that it is a choice, but actions speak louder than words.

I'm still getting used to people telling me I'm scaring the public, not engaging in conversations with those that are curious and overall not having any impact on those that are "gun shy".

Of course, those that are telling me this also tell me either OC is illegal or should be.

Some just say it won't accomplish anything, but I've had rather pleasant chats with people and never had an issue. Not like that rather larger Springfield XD doesn't really stand out.

Jonathan

Here's a scary one:

My wife told me a patron came to her place of business and somehow a conversation about recent home invasions led to the guy saying he is a firearms instructor. He said that he actually teaches his students that if they see anyone open-carrying, they should call 911! He said something to the effect of "all these people open-carrying in stores and such don't even deserve to have a permit." He went on to say that he doesn't see the need to carry all of the time and that he was not carrying at that particular moment.

WOW

His instructions are not only ignorant, but dangerous as well. I would argue he doesn't deserve to have an instructor's certificate.

This guy sounds like another Mark Vanaman....
    America, where freedom* reigns.

*Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

-----------

“What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Freiheit417 View Post
    I would argue he doesn't deserve to have an instructor's certificate.

Scary indeed.

However, on the "not carrying right now" bit.... he is correct. You're not supposed to have live ammo in the room when you're teaching a class. If you don't have ammo, I'd hardly consider that carrying!

All else is utter stupidity!

Jonathan

Scary indeed.

However, on the "not carrying right now" bit.... he is correct. You're not supposed to have live ammo in the room when you're teaching a class. If you don't have ammo, I'd hardly consider that carrying!

All else is utter stupidity!

Jonathan
    Jon- I think he said he was not carrying right now meaning during his conversation with farenheit's wife at her place of business not while he was teaching.

It seems like this guy is worse than those just using the concealed weapons permit terminology. He tells students to call 911 on fellow permit holders OCing!!! Even though I have yet to really OC in public I try to tell as many people as I can about it (which is why I mention OC on Wtnh comment section about that idiot threatening somebody with a gun at the bar in Old Saybrook.

Quote Originally Posted by hobie16 View Post
    Jon- I think he said he was not carrying right now meaning during his conversation with farenheit's wife at her place of business not while he was teaching.
    Reread and stand corrected.

100 percent idiot he is indeed.

Jonathan

.... You're not supposed to have live ammo in the room when you're teaching a class.
    I know it is "safer" but if you do not trust your students you probably need to find another line of work or a better grade of student. Just because whoever issued your credential that says you qualify as an instructor "prefers" that there be no live ammo in the room only means they do not trust students either.

Lay down the 4 Rules and do nothing in class that will require the student to administratively handle their firearm and you should be good to go. Any manipulation can be done using training props until you get to the range where there is a safe "downrange" direction that ends with a safe backstop.

On a personal note - I'd love to see all instructors have their students sign a waiver saying that if the student so much as touches the firearm during the classroom portion of instruction the instructor can beat the student over the head with a heavy object. And then do it! Mutual trust in action: students are trusted not to touch their firearms in an unsafe manner or in an unsafe environment and instructors are trusted to follow through with consequences for breaking the classroom rules. (And yes, I would settle for the student who violated the rule being thrown out of class and not given a refund. I can dream, but I really am not bloodthirsty.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Freiheit417 View Post
    Here's a scary one:

My wife told me a patron came to her place of business and somehow a conversation about recent home invasions led to the guy saying he is a firearms instructor. He said that he actually teaches his students that if they see anyone open-carrying, they should call 911! He said something to the effect of "all these people open-carrying in stores and such don't even deserve to have a permit." He went on to say that he doesn't see the need to carry all of the time and that he was not carrying at that particular moment.

WOW

His instructions are not only ignorant, but dangerous as well. I would argue he doesn't deserve to have an instructor's certificate.

Freiheit, could you disclose what town this was in. I'm from the "quiet corner" and recently had a phone conversation with a guy that has been running an ad in a local paper for his "Conceal Carry" classes. This guy had the exact mentality when it came to me questioning his position on OC. Just curious if it may be the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I know it is "safer" but if you do not trust your students you probably need to find another line of work or a better grade of student. Just because whoever issued your credential that says you qualify as an instructor "prefers" that there be no live ammo in the room only means they do not trust students either.
    It's not a preference according to their outline. They say no live ammo in class. I teach their course, so I follow their rules. If I deviate, I'm not teaching their program.

Now, that being said, I have a portion where the NRA class is done and they are free to ask away any questions and such that aren't in the purview of the class and I do what I can to accommodate them.

Jonathan

Banned
    I'm still getting used to people telling me I'm scaring the public,
    You would be scaring liberals. When the bill last year to limit magazines to holding 10 rounds was up I was pissed .. what good is that to a guy who has a M16? I had to go over to my senator's home to speak to the senator about it because the senator would not return my calls. Boy was that senator surprised .. but I have gone to US senator's homes too when they don't return a call and its an issue I want him to know my opinion about.

So if you open carry, expect a lot of interaction with police responding to 911 calls.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    So if you open carry, expect a lot of interaction with police responding to 911 calls.
    What is this based on? Rumors? Gun store lore?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    And this is based on? I live in a freaking Agenda 21 city and nobody has done jack to me yet (and I 100% open carry as I want to be a law abiding citizen).

Had a few great conversations with people (liberals even) but mostly...... nobody notices.

Jonathan

Had a few great conversations with people (liberals even) but mostly...... nobody notices.
    Indeed, this is the vast majority of my experience as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctclassic View Post
    Freiheit, could you disclose what town this was in. I'm from the "quiet corner" and recently had a phone conversation with a guy that has been running an ad in a local paper for his "Conceal Carry" classes. This guy had the exact mentality when it came to me questioning his position on OC. Just curious if it may be the same guy.
    Not likely the same guy since this was the other side of the state - Winsted area.

My wife recently took a class from a different instructor and when she told him about this other guy, her instructor was NOT HAPPY! He wanted to know who he was too. Her instructor taught that OC is 100% legal in CT, but the only thing he warned is that there may be some uninformed people out there like the other instructor.
    America, where freedom* reigns.

*Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

-----------

“What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast