Thread: Open carry in Phenix City Al

Open carry in Phenix City Al

I visited the kangaroo earlier today, the one where Phenix City's finest like to hang out... I tried to pump fuel, but my card would not work at the pump, so I headed inside to pay cash... With G23 on my hip where it usually is, but in plain view because I had taken my jacket off in the car. After my business in the store was completed, I returned to my car. As I was reaching for the pump to fuel my vehicle, a black policeman with a gold toothe grin yelled at me across the parking lot. "Sir.. Sir..SIR!!" I said "yes?" "Are you a law enforcement officer?" "No", I replied. "Come over here away from the vehicle." he began to explain that I was breaking the law by having a weapon in plain view, and why that it was illegal. I gave him my Handgun Carry Permit and explained that I was a resident of Tennesse and that my understanding of the law was that Alabama was an "open carry" freindly state. He proceded to tell me that I could not carry openly, not even in my car, that it had to be concealed at all times outside my residence or place of business. He told me that he did not percieve me to be a threat, or that he would have drawn his weapon and it "would have got ugly quick". He did let us go on our way after running my driver liscense, HCP, and liscence plate. Anyway, just thought that I would share that with the forum, and I would like to hear everyones feedback. thanks

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Trust that you got the officer's name etc - would follow through with an official complaint.

Quite a few wrongs here.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Nah. he had his jacket zipped up, couldnt see his nametag. I was afraid to ask for fear of escalating the situation.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...OOpenCarry.pdf

Not according to the AG's opinion. Open carry seems just fine.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasond5746 View Post
    Nah. he had his jacket zipped up, couldnt see his nametag. I was afraid to ask for fear of escalating the situation.
    Missed a good opportunity to educate, but understandable.

Many of us carry digital recorders for just such possible events - mine is turned on before I ever leave the house and remains on all day.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

You sure you talked to a cop, or just someone pretending to be a cop?
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Please site the law I am violating and write me a ticket, and I well surrender my ID...

I was told by an officer once LE does not like OC, and if I wanted to OC I could go to the academy like he did...another of their little eletist things...I am realy glad my county doesn't see things that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jasond5746 View Post
    I He proceded to tell me that I could not carry openly, not even in my car, that it had to be concealed at all times outside my residence or place of business. He told me that he did not percieve me to be a threat, or that he would have drawn his weapon and it "would have got ugly quick".
    shame you didn't get his ID because that probably qualifies as assault and you should have pressed charges with his department

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Please site the law I am violating and write me a ticket, and I well surrender my ID...
    This...

I was told by an officer once LE does not like OC, and if I wanted to OC I could go to the academy like he did...another of their little eletist things....
    show him this article http://www.vdare.com/posts/the-wheel...e-grind-slowly and tell him that you tried but you scored too high on the intelligence test for accpetance

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post
    This...
    show him this article http://www.vdare.com/posts/the-wheel...e-grind-slowly and tell him that you tried but you scored too high on the intelligence test for accpetance
    ^ Like/+1

Illegally open carrying a weapon? Isn't that, I dunno... a crime?
    What's with all these law enforcement officers just letting cold-blooded criminals walk around doing illegal stuff like being openly armed in violation of Alabama law?

Guess he was just "a mite bit too busy to arrest no criminals now, but you watch out now y'hear, nobody might not be so nice as I is."

Please site the law I am violating and write me a ticket, and I well surrender my ID....
    Cite me for violating the law and I will Identify myself. If the charge is regarding a licensed activity, I will produce my license to do so. I don't carry "I.D."

If Officer Friendly encounters me anywhere outside my car, I hope he has comfy shoes and packed a lunch, it could take me HOURS to find where I parked my car and produce my driver's license. I keep it in the sun visor in my car as I need a license to drive.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-05-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    You sure you talked to a cop, or just someone pretending to be a cop?
    Pretty sure he was... He was in uniform and he was driving a police cruiser....My wife told me later that some of the bystanders (black) thought the cop (also black) was harrassing me because I am white....
    Last edited by jasond5746; 01-07-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Well, why not? Have you ever seen a black cop who was friendly to black youth because they were armed? No. Because they don't know the law and it's against the law to conceal weapons but it's completely legal to have them in plain sight.

Provided you're not committing another crime, like loitering....