• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Phenix City Al

jasond5746

I visited the kangaroo earlier today, the one where Phenix City's finest like to hang out... I tried to pump fuel, but my card would not work at the pump, so I headed inside to pay cash... With G23 on my hip where it usually is, but in plain view because I had taken my jacket off in the car. After my business in the store was completed, I returned to my car. As I was reaching for the pump to fuel my vehicle, a black policeman with a gold toothe grin yelled at me across the parking lot. "Sir.. Sir..SIR!!" I said "yes?" "Are you a law enforcement officer?" "No", I replied. "Come over here away from the vehicle." he began to explain that I was breaking the law by having a weapon in plain view, and why that it was illegal. I gave him my Handgun Carry Permit and explained that I was a resident of Tennesse and that my understanding of the law was that Alabama was an "open carry" freindly state. He proceded to tell me that I could not carry openly, not even in my car, that it had to be concealed at all times outside my residence or place of business. He told me that he did not percieve me to be a threat, or that he would have drawn his weapon and it "would have got ugly quick". He did let us go on our way after running my driver liscense, HCP, and liscence plate. Anyway, just thought that I would share that with the forum, and I would like to hear everyones feedback. thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Trust that you got the officer's name etc - would follow through with an official complaint.

Quite a few wrongs here.

jasond5746

Nah. he had his jacket zipped up, couldnt see his nametag. I was afraid to ask for fear of escalating the situation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nah. he had his jacket zipped up, couldnt see his nametag. I was afraid to ask for fear of escalating the situation.

Missed a good opportunity to educate, but understandable.

Many of us carry digital recorders for just such possible events - mine is turned on before I ever leave the house and remains on all day.

hermannr

Please site the law I am violating and write me a ticket, and I well surrender my ID...

I was told by an officer once LE does not like OC, and if I wanted to OC I could go to the academy like he did...another of their little eletist things...I am realy glad my county doesn't see things that way.

RockyMtnScotsman

I He proceded to tell me that I could not carry openly, not even in my car, that it had to be concealed at all times outside my residence or place of business. He told me that he did not percieve me to be a threat, or that he would have drawn his weapon and it "would have got ugly quick".

shame you didn't get his ID because that probably qualifies as assault and you should have pressed charges with his department

RockyMtnScotsman

Fallschirjmäger

Illegally open carrying a weapon? Isn't that, I dunno... a crime?
What's with all these law enforcement officers just letting cold-blooded criminals walk around doing illegal stuff like being openly armed in violation of Alabama law?

Guess he was just "a mite bit too busy to arrest no criminals now, but you watch out now y'hear, nobody might not be so nice as I is."

Please site the law I am violating and write me a ticket, and I well surrender my ID....
Cite me for violating the law and I will Identify myself. If the charge is regarding a licensed activity, I will produce my license to do so. I don't carry "I.D."

If Officer Friendly encounters me anywhere outside my car, I hope he has comfy shoes and packed a lunch, it could take me HOURS to find where I parked my car and produce my driver's license. I keep it in the sun visor in my car as I need a license to drive.

Last edited:

jasond5746

You sure you talked to a cop, or just someone pretending to be a cop?

Pretty sure he was... He was in uniform and he was driving a police cruiser....My wife told me later that some of the bystanders (black) thought the cop (also black) was harrassing me because I am white....

Last edited:

Kirbinator

Well, why not? Have you ever seen a black cop who was friendly to black youth because they were armed? No. Because they don't know the law and it's against the law to conceal weapons but it's completely legal to have them in plain sight.

Provided you're not committing another crime, like loitering....