• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on a boat?

futzin

A while back (a year or two), I was trying to determine how to legally carry on my boat (or if I even could, esp. considering I sometimes boat within Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest). After reading the law which repeatedly uses the word 'vehicle' but doesn't define it, I placed a call to the KSP for verification. Three conversations later I was no wiser.

So what are your opinions on carrying on a boat on KY waterways? I do not have a CC license yet.

hotrod

I carry every weekend I am at Cumberland Lake, Dale Hollow, or Laurel Lake. I have heard these arguments that try to establish some oversight by the Corps of Engineers. I have talked to lawyers and prosecutors, both state and federal, and can not find an instance that someone was arrested for carry at any of the above lakes, with the exception of another criminal complaint or activity (drug dealing, manufacturing etc). If you were to be stopped, searched and arrested for violation of a federal law, what law enforcement agency would be doing the stop, search and arrest? FBI, DEA, Federal Wildlife, TSA?

Put your weapon in any compartment made by the manufacturer and you will be legal. A boat is considered a vehicle, just like your car.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

[...]Put your weapon in any compartment made by the manufacturer and you will be legal. A boat is considered a vehicle, just like your car.

Does an inflatable john boat with a rubberized Velcro cover, originally made for the boat and attached to it, also count as a vehicle? What types of water inflatables and such count as a vehicle? Jet ski's, Bass boats, aluminum john boats? or canoes?

(why does some of my words link to ebay?)

Last edited:

hotrod

Does an inflatable john boat with a rubberized Velcro cover, originally made for the boat and attached to it, also count as a vehicle? What types of water inflatables and such count as a vehicle? Jet ski's, Bass boats, aluminum john boats? or canoes?

(why does some of my words link to ebay?)

If it has registration numbers, yes it would qualify. KRS 235.090 says that all boats will be registered in the automated vehicle registration system. Registered as a vehicle is my interpretation.