Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Boy shot from distance of miles

  1. #1
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585

    Boy shot from distance of miles

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/02...d-florida-boy/

    Umm didn't mythbusters prove this type of thing fake???

  2. #2
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    It is not possible to prove in principle a negative.

    Within the month there was a report of a BP rifle, fired to clear before cleaning, killing a girl at 1.5 miles range. That is a less than 1/20 million chance if the ballistics are sufficient.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585
    It is saying it entered the top of his head and making it sound like it was coming down. Wasn't the record for a sniper shot less than a mile

  4. #4
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    It is saying it entered the top of his head and making it sound like it was coming down. Wasn't the record for a sniper shot less than a mile
    Prior to Vietnam, yeah.

  5. #5
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    It is not possible to prove in principle a negative.

    Within the month there was a report of a BP rifle, fired to clear before cleaning, killing a girl at 1.5 miles range. That is a less than 1/20 million chance if the ballistics are sufficient.
    I have a feeling that in that case the rifle wasn't angled that far above the horizon. I would think that at most it was held 45 above the horizon. At that angle, and the ballistics that I would think a blackpowder round would take, I think it would be easy for the round to take someone out at 1.5 miles. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same story in this case.

    We all know how easy it is to get a rifle round to travel a mile. Maybe not accurately, but it'll go that far easy. The only thing Mythbusters proved was that a rifle round fired straight up doesn't have sufficient velocity on its return trip to cause death. They didn't test a rifle round fired at a 45 angle because it's near impossible to recover a round fired that way.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  6. #6
    Regular Member William Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxford, Ohio
    Posts
    238
    2430 meters or 1 1/2 mils was the record sniper shot in afganistan.

    Last edited by William Fisher; 01-02-2012 at 10:42 PM.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    I agree that it all depends on the angle at which the round was fired. Anything greater than a certain angle (0 degrees being parallel to the ground) and the bullet will fall harmlessly, being slowed down by the drag of the air around it to it's terminal velocity. Unless it's a huge bullet, terminal velocity won't kill anyone. Determining the exact angle would be dependent on a lot of things and would be different for different cartridges, muzzle velocities and environmental conditions. Generally, we can all agree it's not very smart to fire a gun in the air; especially anywhere that's densely populated. You could argue that shooting one straight up is relatively safe but try and shoot one straight up; hell, it's hard enough drilling a straight hole with a hand drill.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  8. #8
    Regular Member William Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxford, Ohio
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    I agree that it all depends on the angle at which the round was fired. Anything greater than a certain angle (0 degrees being parallel to the ground) and the bullet will fall harmlessly, being slowed down by the drag of the air around it to it's terminal velocity. Unless it's a huge bullet, terminal velocity won't kill anyone. Determining the exact angle would be dependent on a lot of things and would be different for different cartridges, muzzle velocities and environmental conditions. Generally, we can all agree it's not very smart to fire a gun in the air; especially anywhere that's densely populated. You could argue that shooting one straight up is relatively safe but try and shoot one straight up; hell, it's hard enough drilling a straight hole with a hand drill.
    Yeh, you see some idiots in places fire mutiple rounds into the air whooping it up, not thinking "What goes up, must come down".

  9. #9
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713
    As said previously, a bullet going straight up will fall down without much velocity, but it doesn't take much of an angle to retain a lethal horizontal component to the velocity.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    127

    Falling Projectile

    Hatchers Notebook, pg. 514 paragraph four discusses the terminal effect (fired straight up)of various projectiles relative to their weight. A fifty caliber projectile of 718 grains returning base first has a velocity of 500fps with 400 foot pounds of energy. This is enough to cause a lethal wound. The .30 caliber projectiles retained a velocity of about 300 fps with an energy level of approximately 100 foot pounds. Bad bruise maybe but not generally fatal. Hatchers Notebook is loaded with information of this sort--and much more. General Hatcher spent his entire military career doing all the things with firearms all of us would like to do--and got paid for it!! If you shoot or own firearms this is required reading. With this book lot of arguments can be won.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Mythbusters never proved such a thing impossible. They did show that a bullet fired straight up would have only terminal velocity when reaching the ground again, thus making a fatal wound highly improbable. 45 degrees will almost yeld the farthest distance possible from a firearm and is far from straight up, it can be very deadly still.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  12. #12
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164
    Demonstrating the principles of windage and elevation at work.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •