• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A letter I wrote...with your help

Trip20

One question that I do have, is your job such as you would need to fear for your life or a need to defend property with lethal force?

One could ask the same question about our lives in general. But of course we would sound like WAVE activists.

bigdaddy1

And how many times do we hear, "I never thought this would happen"?

One could ask the same question about our lives in general. But of course we would sound like WAVE activists.

My assumption is his employer will decline his request, and one reason they may use is there is no reason to be armed. As many know crime happens, and events can escalate quickly. If he is prepared for any objections they may have he might be better "armed" to defend his position. Really wasn't meant to be an actual question.

Outdoorsman1

Probably too late to apply to the OP but just for clarificatioin in my own mind.... (?)

I am looking at this original quote...

Once again, I am asking you to allow [removed] security personnel the right to openly or conceal carry a firearm for the protection of themselves, others, and their property. [removed] would not be held liable if security personnel are given the okay to carry firearms openly or concealed. We were hired and entrusted with security of all [removed] buildings and money deposits. We can be entrusted to carry a firearm and use our best judgment while doing so.

I could be wrong but I thinking the right to use deadly force does not include protecting "property".... As in....

―A person is privileged to threaten or intentionally use force against another for the purpose of preventing or terminating what the person reasonably believes to be an unlawful interference with his or her person by such other person. The actor may intentionally use only such force or threat thereof as the actor reasonably believes is necessary to prevent or terminate the interference. The actor may not intentionally use force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself.‖ Wis. Stat. § 939.48(1).
―A person who provokes an attack, whether by lawful or unlawful conduct, with intent to use such attack as an excuse to cause death or great bodily harm to his or her assailant is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense.‖ Wis. Stat. § 939.48(2)(c).
―A person is privileged to defend a 3rd person from real or apparent unlawful interference by another under the same conditions and by the same means as those under and by which the person is privileged to defend himself or herself from real or apparent unlawful interference, provided that the person reasonably believes that the facts are such that the 3rd person would be privileged to act in self-defense and that the person‘s intervention is necessary for the protection of the 3rd person.‖ Wis. Stat. § 939.48(4).

Maybe with the new Castle Doctrin Law, property in included after there is someone already in your house but that does not apply to the OP...

Thoughts...????????

Outdoorsman1

ETD... I admire the OP's strength of his convictions and his desire to make them known, but... basically regarding the actuall letter.... I tend to agree with apjonas in his post (#9).....

Last edited:

sawah

If I can hazard a guess, I think the reason they do not want to allow guards to carry firearms is due to their insurance carrier, either not covering it, or they think they won't cover it, and I suspect that's the reason you'll be given. I wouldn't push it past the first denial.

Good luck, though.

msteinhilber

From post #9 and others I have revamped the letter. Security recently received our own email address and I will be sending it off to the head of security to send it to who he feels is necessary.

I am not worried about losing my job because if I do I am not really at a loss. I am underemployed with the company and they treat the security like garbage anyway. No respect at all.

I will let you know what happens. I plan to send it off this weekend and should get a reply in a few weeks.

It's been over a month and you haven't sent off the letter yet, but are complaining about being underemployed and gloating about how a loss of your job would be no real loss? Do you procrastinate this long with on the job duties as well?

revolverrandy

It's been over a month and you haven't sent off the letter yet, but are complaining about being underemployed and gloating about how a loss of your job would be no real loss? Do you procrastinate this long with on the job duties as well?

Not everyone comes into a conversation and just starts spitting their mouth off only to wish they have though things out a little more first.Some people actually like to put thought in the message they are conveying.Give it a try sometime msteinhilber.You could learn a thing or 2.