• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peterson v. Martinez (10th Circuit) Official Appeals Thread

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Starting the Official Appeals thread for my case in the 10th Circuit, Peterson v. Martinez. To get everyone up to speed.

U.S. Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals Status
  • This case was scheduled for oral argument on November 17th, 2011, 8:30AM.
  • The pertinent case filings can be found here
  • The oral argument is can be downloaded here.
  • An unofficial transcript of the proceedings can be downloaded here.
  • The 10th Circuit Panel (Circuit Judges Lucero, Hartz, and Baldock) stated in panel that they would be rehearing the case.
  • The 10th Circuit Panel has rescheduled the case for March 19th, 2012, 2:00PM, for a special session of the court.
  • The 10th Circuit Panel also granted amici curiae 10 minutes for oral argument. At this time, we are trying to determine if they mean all groups who filed an amicus, or if they mean just the NRA-Civil Rights Defense Fund.
  • The panel also stated that they may be asking for supplemental briefing.

My commentary on the oral arguments will be necessarily limited, because I will make these comments as it was specifically discussed in oral argument and post-argument court orders:

1) We (myself and my attorney) did plead the Denver carry ban in the complaint in the district court. In similar fashion to Heller and McDonald, the prayer for relief was narrowly asked in order to not have questions of whether or not it is appropriate to license the right. The 10th Circuit may grant different relief than what was asked in the district court in accordance with the federal rules of appellate procedure. It is not in any way the intention to enshrine licensing as a pre-requisite, as prayers for relief and the granting of such relief do not determine the scope of the right.

2) The fact that amicus parties was asked sua sponte to argue in front of the court separate from the main parties is a testament to the seriousness that this panel is taking the constitutional issues at stake, unlike than mis-conceptualize the issues as the district court did in this case in a similar fashion to Ezell v. City of Chicago (total range ban prohibition, overturned by the 7th Circuit).

3) Peterson is shaping up to be the first case to be decided on the merits by an federal appellate court on the meaning of "bear" in the 2nd amendment.

4) Unlike the situation in DC and Chicago passing additional infringing ordinances requiring additional litigation (DC is DC and Illinois has no preemption), Denver is significantly cabin-ed by the state preemption statutes and state court rulings on the subject matter of state preemption and home rule in the state courts.

-Gray

Last edited:

Anubis

Thanks for the update! Looks like you had all of 3 minutes to state your case.

I don't agree with the discussion of the reciprocity statute by the panel. The statute 18-12-213 is crystal clear to me: if state X recognizes ours, we recognize theirs. There is no wiggle room for recalcitrant sheriffs, and the fact that it specifies what decides, rather than who decides,which states are on the list, or does not further elaborate that sheriffs must follow this law like all others is irrelevant. Maybe I just don't possess the necessary legal "logical" ability to see the loopholes and deficiencies discussed by the panel.

18-12-213 Reciprocity.
(1) A permit to carry a concealed handgun or a concealed weapon that is issued by a state that recognizes the validity of permits issued pursuant to this part 2 shall be valid in this state in all respects as a permit issued pursuant to this part 2 if the permit is issued to a person who is:
(a) Twenty-one years of age or older; and
(b) (I) A resident of the state that issued the permit, as demonstrated by the address stated on a valid picture identification that is issued by the state that issued the permit and is carried by the permit holder; or
(II) A resident of Colorado for no more than ninety days, as determined by the date of issuance on a valid picture identification issued by Colorado and carried by the permit holder.
(2) For purposes of this section, a "valid picture identification" means a driver's license or a state identification issued in lieu of a driver's license.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Alan Gura will be arguing on behalf of SAF/State Orgs, NRA-CRDF Files Motion...

All,

Yesterday, Alan Gura, the winning lawyer in both Heller and McDonald, took over from the previous attorney at SAF, and he will be arguing on behalf of the Second Amendment Foundation as well as 17 other state organizations.

The 10th Circuit also directed that the case be re-argued in front of the panel who originally heard it in November. It will occur on March 19th, 2012, at 2PM. This will be a special panel convening. 10 minutes was given to all amici curiae.

Today, the National Rifle Association's Civil Rights Defense fund filed, on behalf of all amici (The NRA-CRDF, SAF/State Orgs, and the Brady Campaign) for enlargement of oral argument time to 20 minutes. SAF and the NRA will each have 5 minutes to argue. The Brady folks will get 10 minutes.

View attachment NRAEnlargeArgumentTime.pdf

This is shaping up to be a very major case. I will be traveling to Denver to attend the arguments this time around.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
All,

Yesterday, Alan Gura, the winning lawyer in both Heller and McDonald, took over from the previous attorney at SAF, and he will be arguing on behalf of the Second Amendment Foundation as well as 17 other state organizations. ...SNIP

Traveling in style there Gray! Best of luck!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Here we are sneaking up on a date nearly a month after the March 19th date reported earlier in this thread, with no update of recent vintage.

Hence... Whazzup? What happened on 19 March?

I suspect there must have been some movement on this case since then and am hanging on the edge of my seat to learn new developments.

And a month on the edge of a seat can put a serious crease in one's backside.

So help me out here. What came out of the March 19th date, and since that time?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
June has arrived, with all the glory of springtime in the Rockys; the snows in the high country melting slowly away as wildflowers appear in great profusion and the rains come across the wide expanse of the eastern plains to the delight of ranchers and farmers dependent on nature's own irrigation to grow their crops. It is a month wherein skiis are put aside in favor of fishing rods and swim suits, horses romp with their new foals in pastures green, and roadside vegetable stands crop up like so many mushrooms across the front range.

Springtime in the Rockys means warmer weather and less clothing. Less clothing means less concealing of sidearms. It is the perfect time to focus our thoughts on the whole subject of open carry in Colorado, and to assess our good fortune to live in a place such as this, where open carry is recognized as a right of every citizen... except for Denver! And a time, perhaps to renew our focus, on legal issues affecting our ability to open carry or even our essential right, in places such as Denver.

This thread hasn't been updated much, and at last report, was supposed to see movement in March. A couple of months have passed since then, and the silence is more profound than an evening alone in Cave of the Winds.

Sure would appreciate any update on the case.
What's the status of this case?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Brass

I'm guessing the Supremes are taking there own sweet time on deciding this in the hopes that a national reciprocity law comes about and they can just punt.

lucky256

I've been waiting for a decision on this too. A while ago I found this post by Gray himself on the Calguns forum:

Gray Peterson
05-05-2012, 1:07 AM
It's been awfully quiet in here on the progress of any carry cases in CA and around the country. Not really any news of any sort since the Nordyke nondecision. Are our teams regrouping figuring out what to do next? Do we expect anything of benefit to actually come out of Nordyke, other than releasing the chains on the other cases? :gene:

What are the next steps for Scocca, Richards, Peruta, etc?

Sure, I'll be glad to:

Richards & Peruta: On hold for Nordyke

Peterson (10th Circuit): Awaiting decision, this panel takes about 1-3.5 months to decision.

Kachalsky (2nd Circuit): All briefings have been completed, oral arguments are being calendared for the week of 8/20

Pizcatowski (3rd Circuit): Appellant briefing has started. Awaiting the state's response

Hightower: (1st Circuit): All briefing has been completed. Oral argument is calendared for early June.

Moore and Shepard (7th Circuit): Preliminary Injunction Appeal, currently on accelerated schedule, briefings will be done in late June.

Woollard: (District of Maryland & 4th Circuit): Appeal filed by the state on merits. District Court is currently considering stay during appeal, has asked for briefings on a full stay, a temporary stay is in place, court will rule by the end of this month on the stay, if not early next month. If there's no stay in district, the state may ask the 4th Circuit to stay it for abuse of discretion by the district judge (extremely unlikely).

M-Taliesin

M,

A decision is expected by the end of this month.

Howdy Gray!
Thanks so much for your reply.
I'm keep fingers crossed, along with toes and eyes, hoping for a favorable outcome.
I surely do appreciate your taking time to respond!

Especially now that Spring is in full bloom!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin