Thread: Camping, state and federal parks. summation of allowances?

Camping, state and federal parks. summation of allowances?

Can anyone give me a summation of carry laws regarding WI state parks and US Parks/Federal lands (parks and forests) Thanks guys!

In national forests and national forest campgrounds you're good to go. Permit required only if CC. I can't answer for anything else.

Sent from my g2x using Tapatalk
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

In National Parks you have to follow the law of the state you're in, plus you still have to stay out of buildings such as visitor centers. In Wisconsin state parks, if you have a valid CCW permit you're good to go, otherwise the previous (old) restrictions still apply (i.e., firearms must be unloaded and encased unless hunting at designated times and parks.)
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    In Wisconsin state parks, if you have a valid CCW permit you're good to go, otherwise the previous (old) restrictions still apply (i.e., firearms must be unloaded and encased unless hunting at designated times and parks.)
    Since we can't open carry in state buildings anymore, I take it that it applies to facility's in the state parks such as ranger stations and shower buildings?

So we can conceal or open carry in the parks, but only conceal carry in the buildings?

Is my understanding (and I will admit I didn't read the rules from the governor) that if you are open carrying in a building they will ask you to conceal or leave but it isn't a violation at that point?

Last question where does a state recreational area fit in ie Bong, I'm guessing a state park but I've been fooled before.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jason in WI; 01-05-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in WI View Post
    Since we can't open carry in state buildings anymore, I take it that it applies to facility's in the state parks such as ranger stations and shower buildings?

So we can conceal or open carry in the parks, but only conceal carry in the buildings?

Is my understanding (and I will admit I didn't read the rules from the governor) that if you are open carrying in a building they will ask you to conceal or leave but it isn't a violation at that point?

Last question where does a state recreational area fit in ie Bong, I'm guessing a state park but I've been fooled before.

We can OC in state buildings just not the Capitol.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    When will the state (be required to) post informative gun-carry signs?

"Please uncover your legal gun before entering. Concealment is prohibited within, open carry is allowed."

"Legally carried guns welcome." "All gun carriers prohibited."

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Cool, I thought I read it was going to apply to places like the dmv also. I really need to find time too look up the actual code or whatever it is. I was just assuming it applied to all state buildings until I read it myself to make sure I stayed out of trouble.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in WI View Post
    Cool, I thought I read it was going to apply to places like the dmv also. I really need to find time too look up the actual code or whatever it is. I was just assuming it applied to all state buildings until I read it myself to make sure I stayed out of trouble.

That's the thing. It isn't part of the law. The law, 167.31, says we can't carry at all in government buildings unless we have a license. The trespassing statute says they can post. The WI Department of Administration believes it can preclude open carrying only in one building. Personally, I think it has to be all or nothing (open vs concealed) but no one has challenged it yet.