Thread: Best type of OC holster.

Best type of OC holster.

Since becoming a member of this forum, I have purchased my second handgun that I plan on OC'ing from time to time. I purchased a Gen 3, Glock model 23. My question is which is the best type of holster to use for this. I picked up a Fobus, paddle holster as I figured it would best suit me for both OC and CC as soon as my CC license gets back from KSP. Any comments would be appreciated and if anyone thinks I have already purchased a quality holster in the Fobus, I would love to hear your input. Thanks again!!
    Last edited by NewGunOwner; 01-03-2012 at 09:19 PM.

I OC with a fobus paddle holster, but I am looking to get something with a retention system. For a carry gun the fobus isn't too bad but I wouldn't put anything you want to keep in "mint" condition in it as the plastic starts to wear on the finish after a couple hundred times pulling the gun out/putting it back in.

Only thing I found about the Fobus, is that it put the gun in a strangle hold. Its so freaking tight in the holster. I guess like most things it just needs a break in period. My wife got me a DeSantis holster for my Ruger LC9 for christmas, but thats a leather holster and it has gotten trained to that gun very well.

Activist Member
    Blackhawk serpa, or anything galco with a thumbbreak. If you want a holster for OC/cc I would go with the leather. Blackhawk is making some pretty decent leather theirselves now, so check em all out.

I really like my safariland 6378 paddle holster, it also comes with a belt loop system to change out from the paddle if you do not like the paddle

http://www.copquest.com/23-0830.htm

This is about the cheapest place I found it $53 out the door, the ALS system is also great, it feels more natural to me than a Blackhawk Serpa, it also feels sturdier than the Serpa IMO.
    Last edited by Cgm2414; 01-03-2012 at 10:18 PM.

You need to loosen the screw on the Fobus a little bit.

I OC with a Fobus. I just had to loosen the tension screw a bit for a quicker draw.

I understand what you mean with the Fobus Paddle holster. When asking a friend that carried the same model Glock and had the same holster, he informed me that, that type of holster is made for clean straight up drawing. He showed me a couple things about getting it, "broke" in. Hopefully it works out as I really like this one I have. As soon as my CC comes in, I will carry both my Glock and LC9 at the same time, can never have to much protection. The LC9 is being carried in a DeSantis, "Insider", IWB holster.

I CC often with a Fobus paddle holster which works great as I unfortunately have to remove my sidearm often times during the day. The only downside is that it is starting to leave a wear line on the Kimber's slide. Still looking for leather that I really like as a reaplacement.

That being said, I only OC with that holster in very limited circumstances when I'm not going to be near any crowded areas like when I am traveling from a non-OCto non-OC area but OC in between for comfort. If I am planning OC day to day I use a Blackhawk CQC which I like both for the security of the paddle as it doesn't pull out easily and the sidearm retention. There are a lot of other excellent retention holsters and everyone has personal preferences. I just don't like OC day to day without retention as the reality is that everyone has distracted moments IRL and if that is when a bad guy is behind you the delayed attempted grab because of the retention may be the difference between a bad day and a horrible day...