Thread: Carry Loaded In VA

Carry Loaded In VA

I've read the laws on Carrying a loaded firearm. now its not too clear. so for y'all experienced OCr's. Can one carry with loaded Mag and Chamber. The laws are misleading.

V/R
    Easy

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

Keep it under 20 rounds and you're good.
    Last edited by Lolcanoe; 01-04-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    3. Move thumb safety down taking gun off safety. Caution: The gun is now ready to fire. Be prepared for noise and recoil when pistol fires.

guess I'll have to drop in a regular Mag. Thanks for the Quick Response.

VR

Easy

Quote Originally Posted by EasyComp View Post
    guess I'll have to drop in a regular Mag. Thanks for the Quick Response.

VR

Easy
    Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!

If you have a Virginia CHP you are exempt from the magazine limitation.

If you are not already a member you should check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.org
    Last edited by thebigsd; 01-04-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Welcome to OCDO.

Just curious - what caused you to wonder about this in the first place?

stay safe.

PS - If you can, join us at Lobby Day on Monday, Jan. 16th at the General Assembly Building in Richmond. Besides the chance yo let your elected representatives know how you feel it's a great opportunity to meet like-minded folks. Believe it or not, there are some from out your way.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Richmond

Thanks Skid. I was clearing up some doubt on my end. I would like to go to richmond the 16th but I go to college in NY. No dice. THanks again for clearing everything up for me.

VR
    Easy

Stop by the VCDL table at the gun show and pick up some pocket cards that list the important laws. And remember that the law only says what you cannot do - if it is not mentioned it's not illegal.

The trick is in knowing how and where to look to see if it's mentioned.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

pocket cards

will do

Regards,
    Easy

Not to hijack the thread, but as a recent NY refugee, where do you go to school? I went to SUNY Brockport...

I actually had a guy come up to me while I was OCing in the grocery store and ask me this exact question. My response was "You can absolutely carry it loaded, and I wouldn't recommend any other way."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!

If you have a Virginia CHP you are exempt from the magazine limitation.
    Does this apply only to CC? Or can I OC above 20 rds with a CHP? I can imagine something with a mag capacity above 20 would be a little hard to conceal, lol.

If you have a CHP you can open carry with any sized magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyComp View Post
    I've read the laws on Carrying a loaded firearm. now its not too clear. so for y'all experienced OCr's. Can one carry with loaded Mag and Chamber. The laws are misleading.

V/R
    Easy
    To answer clearly and succinctly, carry loaded and one in the chamber is ok so long as the magazine itself cannot hold more than 20. A 9mm XDm carries 19 plus one in the chamber, it's legal.

That's not to say that 20+ magazines themselves are illegal, you can still have them when at a range and such, just don't carry them loaded with you.

Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    To answer clearly and succinctly, carry loaded and one in the chamber is ok so long as the magazine itself cannot hold more than 20. A 9mm XDm carries 19 plus one in the chamber, it's legal.

That's not to say that 20+ magazines themselves are illegal, you can still have them when at a range and such, just don't carry them loaded with you.

Sent using tapatalk
    If you have a Virginia CHP, you are exempt from the 20 round restriction, regardless of how you carry.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 01-13-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."