• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Loaded In VA

EasyComp

I've read the laws on Carrying a loaded firearm. now its not too clear. so for y'all experienced OCr's. Can one carry with loaded Mag and Chamber. The laws are misleading.

V/R
Easy

Lolcanoe

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

Keep it under 20 rounds and you're good.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
guess I'll have to drop in a regular Mag. Thanks for the Quick Response.

VR

Easy

Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!

If you have a Virginia CHP you are exempt from the magazine limitation.

If you are not already a member you should check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.org

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Just curious - what caused you to wonder about this in the first place?

stay safe.

PS - If you can, join us at Lobby Day on Monday, Jan. 16th at the General Assembly Building in Richmond. Besides the chance yo let your elected representatives know how you feel it's a great opportunity to meet like-minded folks. Believe it or not, there are some from out your way.

EasyComp

Richmond

Thanks Skid. I was clearing up some doubt on my end. I would like to go to richmond the 16th but I go to college in NY. No dice. THanks again for clearing everything up for me.

VR
Easy

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Stop by the VCDL table at the gun show and pick up some pocket cards that list the important laws. And remember that the law only says what you cannot do - if it is not mentioned it's not illegal.

The trick is in knowing how and where to look to see if it's mentioned.

stay safe.

Kotyaer

Not to hijack the thread, but as a recent NY refugee, where do you go to school? I went to SUNY Brockport...

Dr Phil

I actually had a guy come up to me while I was OCing in the grocery store and ask me this exact question. My response was "You can absolutely carry it loaded, and I wouldn't recommend any other way."

Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!

If you have a Virginia CHP you are exempt from the magazine limitation.

Does this apply only to CC? Or can I OC above 20 rds with a CHP? I can imagine something with a mag capacity above 20 would be a little hard to conceal, lol.

Baked on Grease

I've read the laws on Carrying a loaded firearm. now its not too clear. so for y'all experienced OCr's. Can one carry with loaded Mag and Chamber. The laws are misleading.

V/R
Easy

To answer clearly and succinctly, carry loaded and one in the chamber is ok so long as the magazine itself cannot hold more than 20. A 9mm XDm carries 19 plus one in the chamber, it's legal.

That's not to say that 20+ magazines themselves are illegal, you can still have them when at a range and such, just don't carry them loaded with you.

Sent using tapatalk

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
To answer clearly and succinctly, carry loaded and one in the chamber is ok so long as the magazine itself cannot hold more than 20. A 9mm XDm carries 19 plus one in the chamber, it's legal.

That's not to say that 20+ magazines themselves are illegal, you can still have them when at a range and such, just don't carry them loaded with you.

Sent using tapatalk

If you have a Virginia CHP, you are exempt from the 20 round restriction, regardless of how you carry.

Last edited: