• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can i open carry in carry that is not mine?

righttobarearms

just came across this, ive looked in the krs and says nothing about the car having to be mine. but idk if i missed it?
so does anybody know if i can open carry in a car that is not mine? nor a family members car?

i am 18 not 21 so i can not cc

DrakeZ07

I'm honestly not sure, and have no citations to KRS or Federal statues, only what common sense tells me; As long as you have the permission of the vehicles owner, it should be fine, once again my thought on it, if there isn't a law forbidding, nor allowing it, then just grab written permission from the owner as a fall back.

Though, I'm not sure how the law, state or federal reflects on OC in a vehicle, but I would think it to be considered CC if you have the sidearm -on- you, as no one outside the vehicle can see or take notice, unless you was sitting in an awkward position and the person was standing at your door. </3 gray areas.

0.02$

Last edited:

righttobarearms

yeah i was thinking the same thing you said about the persons saying it was fine to have it in their car and as long as they are not a felon them self.as for ocing in a car what i read on and everyone has told me on these forums its fine if you put it in the right places.

as of now i open carry in my girlfriends car but than i came across this and stopped just to make sure it was fine to do so now im asking!
thanks for your help

09jisaac

Laws only state if something is illegal in most circumstances. If it is not against the law then it is legal. I would guess that as long as you keep possession of the gun you could even wear it on your hip in a felons car. I would also venture to say that wearing it on your hip, even in a car, isn't conceal carry anytime. Same logic would state that you can't OC in walmart because anyone outside can't see your gun.

Johnburns15

In my opinion, as long as you have permission to drive the vehicle, then it is in your possession. It being in your possession makes it responsibility, therefore while you're in possession, the vehicle is considered yours, even though it isn't registered to you

Let's say you're pulled Over in a friends car, there's 10 pounds of marijuana in the trunk, at that point that would be your responsibility. So I believe the same goes with a gun, if you're legally carrying it, and have permission to drive the vehicle you're fine.

Johnburns15

Laws only state if something is illegal in most circumstances. If it is not against the law then it is legal. I would guess that as long as you keep possession of the gun you could even wear it on your hip in a felons car. I would also venture to say that wearing it on your hip, even in a car, isn't conceal carry anytime. Same logic would state that you can't OC in walmart because anyone outside can't see your gun.

I like your point of view on keeping your firearm in your holster in your car. I always have, but I'm always having people ask me "isn't that concealed?" which I always respond with, "No, it's still visible, that would be like asking if it's concealed because my firearm is on my right hip, my left hip is facing you, and you cannot see it. It's not considered concealed then."
Then I always get the excuse "it's still concealed" lol

righttobarearms

thank all of you
you gave me the info i needed!
now just got to find a different gun range
right now i go to marks but i hate it its like they dont even care about you they just sit and talk to each other and dont even notice you
went there 3 days ago and im not lying when i say this that it was snowing in side range from the vents they have going

i was thinking about going to shooters

anyone know any good ranges close to florence?