• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry loaded.

EasyComp

Im knew to OC and was wondering if someone could fill me in. One can OC Hot and not get ticketed for it right? I read the laws on the VSP website and it said one cannot. any advise will help.

VR

Easy

MSC 45ACP

Welcome to OCDO.

Q: What is the definition of an unloaded pistol?
A: Hammer.

Yes you carry loaded. What silliness did you read that said you couldn't carry a loaded firearm?

VApatriot

Is this what you read? http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813.)

If so, many are confused by this section, but it only applies to firearms that fall under the highlighted section. This does not apply to the vast majority of handguns, and it does not apply at all if you have a valid Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP).

EasyComp

Just wanted an Answer is all. thanks y'all. Now what is a good way to carry in the vehicle? I know with no CCL i must have it unloaded but I can I put her in her case then load it after I get out of the car? or does it have to be in a different compartment than the ammo?

VR
Easy

Lolcanoe

18.2-308
10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

Loaded in a glovebox (which is a compartment) is OK while driving. I just keep mine on my hip though.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just wanted an Answer is all. thanks y'all. Now what is a good way to carry in the vehicle? I know with no CCL i must have it unloaded but I can I put her in her case then load it after I get out of the car? or does it have to be in a different compartment than the ammo? VR Easy
Welcome to the site EC. I'm going to assume (That word again) you don't eat Billygoats and just misunderstood...
You can carry loaded, openly on your person (without a CCL:uhoh:).
You can carry loaded in the vehicle (without a CCL:uhoh:) In the vehicle you can keep it in plain sight or in a secured container like the glove box, console, any container that can be secured (Not Locked).
Oh..in Va it's not a CCL, it's a CHP. CHP stands for Commonwealth Handgun Perks.:banghead:

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Best way to carry and legal is fully loaded, in a holster, on your hip, whether in or out of the vehicle.

The only caveats are that you not be a restricted person and observe all laws - know where and under what circumstances you cannot carry. Having a CHP does extend your range and options.

A quick pocket guide can be found here.

Sign up for the free Va-Alerts and stay current on what is happening throughout the state and the changes to the laws.

curtiswr

Just wanted an Answer is all. thanks y'all. Now what is a good way to carry in the vehicle? I know with no CCL i must have it unloaded but I can I put her in her case then load it after I get out of the car? or does it have to be in a different compartment than the ammo?

VR
Easy

You have to keep it in the confines of the (re)search text entry box.

mathew85

Is this what you read? http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

If so, many are confused by this section, but it only applies to firearms that fall under the highlighted section. This does not apply to the vast majority of handguns, and it does not apply at all if you have a valid Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP).

iam going to open carry sometimes but waiting on my CHP before i do. would like the extra insurance. just in case.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
iam going to open carry sometimes but waiting on my CHP before i do. would like the extra insurance. just in case.

Another one in my state:banghead:

Why don't you get one of these too. Then you can dress up as a kindakop when you're not pretending to be an OC'er.

SA0008.jpg

Last edited: