• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why the Criminal History Records Check backlog?

Edward Peruta

Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:49 AM
To: 'Edward Peruta'
Cc: Lussier, Christina
Subject: RE: Finger Print Status

Sir,

Please note, that pursuant to your below request, we have opened a new FOI request for you (#12-008).

Please consider this to be our initial response.

All the best,

Tpr. Hatfield

Tpr. Thomas Hatfield Esq.
Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection
Legal Affairs
(860) 685-8150 (Telephone)
(860) 685-8354 (Facsimile)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission (and any attachments accompanying it) is privileged, confidential and intended only for the individual or entity named. If you or your office is not the intended recipient, the dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy all copies of this transmission. Thank you.

Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:47 AM
To: Hatfield, Thomas; Mancini, Seth; Hellier, Dawn
Cc:
rbaird@rachelbairdlaw.com; 'Richard Burgess'
Subject: RE: Finger Print Status

Trooper Hatfield,

This email follows our recent phone conversation regarding SPBI records checks and the current backlog of approximately 4 weeks.

This request is specifically directed to the Commissioner as the custodian of records for your agency.

This request is for prompt access to any and all computerized information, (Name and Town), regarding pending requests for State and National Criminal History Records checks that have yet to be submitted to the FBI CJIS for Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers by individuals who have not yet been issued or are not in possession of a State Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers.

This request is for the name of the individual who is the subject of the request and the name of the submitting issuing authority only.

This request is made with the knowledge that any information pertaining to an individual in possession of a CURRENT AND VALID Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers is exempt from disclosure.

made application for Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

I request prompt ACCESS during normal business hours to All National Criminal History Records Check requests currently awaiting submission via Live Scan by SPBI for 60 Day Temporary Permits To Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

I request prompt ACCESS during normal business hours to All National Criminal History Records Check results currently completed by SPBI via Live Scan for 60 Day Temporary Permits To Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

To clarify this request, I am prepared to explain in detail the records being requested to narrow the request and save time in processing same.

I am currently in the State of Florida and will designate an individual to examine the public records in my absence.

Respectfully,

Edward A. Peruta
American News and Information Services Inc.
Via email
edperuta@amcable.tv

Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 8:34 AM
To: 'Edward Peruta'
Cc: Mancini, Seth
Subject: Finger Print Status

Sir,

Thank you for your recent telephone call. In response, I have been informed that completion of finger print supported criminal history background checks for pistol permit applications currently includes an approximate 4 week time period at DESPP. For example, the oldest fingerprint supported criminal history background check request for a pistol permit application at DESPP is reported to be from the last week in November 2011.

Sincerely,

Tpr. Hatfield

KIX

Getting this on paper is a good idea.

Was helping someone last week that got a completely different response - 8 weeks for prints, on the phone.

Jonathan

KIX

Additionally.... I haven't gotten a straight answer federally as well. I'm thinking that will have to be in writing.

I've gotten anywhere from two to eight weeks, depending on who I speak to.

Jonathan

hansmike

I was just told a 14 week backlog from the Office of Identification at the DPS. I'm on week 11 and my local PD hasn't received anything from the state yet.

davidmcbeth

Banned
This is why I oppose background checks. This in addition to the fingerprinting (what am I a criminal?). The whole process is clearly not meant to weed out any unsuitable people.

The need for people to take "safety classes" is also just as dubious. I see no reason for this.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Bashing other gun rights groups

psyclone07

If they have not stated the reason for the delay in writing, you should have appealed at week 8.

I have a question. I submitted my paperwork and had my fingerprinting done on the 6th of December. I will be approaching the 8th week mark on the 31st of this month. i am not sure of the dates but have been hearing about backlogs from DPS i believe, should i set up an appeal if it passes the 8 week mark? WIll this end up giving me an appeal date of something beyond what would probably be a 3 month wait?

KIX

It will get the ball started on your appeal. If you don't have your permit by week 8, it is an administrative denial.

This also secures your spot as you fight forward. There is another option..... often, they get the paperwork and then process your application and let you know your permit is ready. Some jerk you around, others just don't want to waste a day at a hearing.

Either way, get the ball rolling so you don't have an even longer delay if you are indeed denied.

The only way I see to stop this nonsense is if the BFPE had hearings once a month for administrative denials. This way, the local issuing authority knows that they can't jerk you around for nearly a year. Also, this would help with the insanity in cities like Hartford.

Jonathan

Rich B

I have a question. I submitted my paperwork and had my fingerprinting done on the 6th of December. I will be approaching the 8th week mark on the 31st of this month. i am not sure of the dates but have been hearing about backlogs from DPS i believe, should i set up an appeal if it passes the 8 week mark? WIll this end up giving me an appeal date of something beyond what would probably be a 3 month wait?

Get the dates regardless, and appeal ASAP.

There is absolutely no need to wait 8 weeks to appeal as long as your dates prove either:

1) The PD did not submit your fingerprints to SPBI within 5 days.
2) The PD did not approve or deny your permit within one week of your FBI report being received from the SPBI.

At 7 weeks, I would surprised if at least one of these is not the case.

Last edited:

Edward Peruta

FOI Complaint filed

Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 8:31 AM
To: 'foi@ct.gov'
Cc: 'Rachel M. Baird'; 'attorney.general@ct.gov'
Subject: FOI Complaint regarding PROMPT ACCESS, DENIAL OF ACCESS TO PUBLIC INFORMATION, FAILURE TO PROVIDE IN SORTABLE MICROSOFT WORD OR EXCEL FORMAT IN A TIMELY MANNER.

To: The FOI
Re: Complaint and request for MAXIMUM CIVIL Penalties

Please consider this as a formal complaint by American News and Information Services Inc. and Edward Peruta against Commissioner Ruben Bradford, Trooper Thomas Hatfield, Attorney Dawn Hillier and Sgt. Seth Mancini of the Connecticut State Police.

Maximum civil penalties are requested from each of the named individuals.

Attached you will find a series of emails that address my request to PROMPTLY ACCESS APPROXIMATELY 1080 FINGERPRINT CARDS FOR INDIVIDUALS SEEKING A PERMIT TO CARRY PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS.

(PDF copies of all emails were attached to complaint)

The current backlog involves over $50,000.00 in funds submitted to the Connecticut State Police and THE CORE FEDERAL AND STATE RIGHT TO ACQUIRE, RECEIVE, POSSESS AND POSSIBLY CARRY A HANDGUN.

Due to the Constitutional Rights involved in this case, an expedited hearing is requested.

The issues are as follows:

1. Prompt Access
2. Providing initial information that was false and misleading regarding the length of the backlog(last week of November vs. October 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] of 2011)
3. Converting the public records to a form that prevents sorting and evaluation. (PDF vs. Word or Excel)
4. Failing to follow the letter of the law and the words contained in same.

Respectfully,

Edward A. Peruta
American News and Information Services Inc.
38 Parish Road
Rocky Hill, CT 06067

860-978-5455

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Isn't there such a thing as an "instant" background check? We have it here in Pennsylvania, and it connects into the FBI's NCIC. Once our application is turned in, a license to carry can be issued in less than 15 minutes (depends on the location).

Is any work being done to streamline your application process? Right now, from an outsider's view, it appears terribly convoluted (although not as bad as Washington, D.C.).

davidmcbeth

Banned
This is why I oppose background checks. This in addition to the fingerprinting (what am I a criminal?). The whole process is clearly not meant to weed out any unsuitable people.

The need for people to take "safety classes" is also just as dubious. I see no reason for this.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Bashing other gun rights groups

Administrator defending groups that like to take away our gun rights...

Rich B

Administrator defending groups that like to take away our gun rights...

Or enforcing the rules you agreed to abide by when you posted here.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules said:
(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!

Edward Peruta

How much have people paid since 2009

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:06 AM
To: 'reuben.bradford@ct.gov'; 'Hatfield, Thomas'; 'DPS Dawn Hellier'; Seth.Mancini@po.state.ct.us
Cc: 'Rachel M. Baird'; 'attorney.general@ct.gov'; 'robert.ward@cga.ct.gov'
Subject: FOI request for Prompt Access to public records

Commissioner Bradford C/O Tom Hatfield, Dawn Hillier and Seth Mancini,

As requested verbally to Trooper Hatfield previously, I am interested in inspection of electronic file data of redacted SPBI information regarding the number of Pistol Permit State and National Records checks submitted by issuing authorities since October 1, 2009.

I believe that this public information may be exported from the database to Microsoft Word so that the information may be manipulated/sorted by date(s) or communities who submitted the requests.

I am also requesting prompt access to any electronic or hard copy documents which mention the current backlog of Pistol Permit background checks including but not limited to any documents to or from Cynthia Powell.

I am including a post that was found at www.opencarry.org to give you a partial basis for this request.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98762-DPS-fingerprinting-backlog

Last edited: