• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So this doesn't get mixed up with that "other" Park Ranger thread

Dave Workman

I'm throwing this in, not to start a big debate..that's on the "other" thread.

But gun owners are stepping up to the plate

Gun owners coming through for ranger’s family; killer ‘kind of a jerk’

Firearms owners are digging into their pockets and wallets to support a benefit fund, announced Tuesday on SeattleGuns.net, for the family of fallen Mount Rainier National Park Ranger Margaret Anderson.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ugh-for-ranger-s-family-killer-kind-of-a-jerk

Dave_pro2a

I'm throwing this in, not to start a big debate..that's on the "other" thread.

But gun owners are stepping up to the plate

Gun owners coming through for ranger’s family; killer ‘kind of a jerk’

Firearms owners are digging into their pockets and wallets to support a benefit fund, announced Tuesday on SeattleGuns.net, for the family of fallen Mount Rainier National Park Ranger Margaret Anderson.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ugh-for-ranger-s-family-killer-kind-of-a-jerk

Anyone with a Law Enforcement job should carry enough life insurance to see to their family's needs, in case they pass away.

The family of LEOs who die on the job get a very charitable survivors benefits. At least they do locally, and I assume Federal LEO have similar benefits.

That's more than most employed people get in this country. I have to fund my life insurance policy 100% on my own. I carry 400k, and the policy will be in force until my last kid turns 21. That reflects my values and sense of personal responsibility to my family.

But the police (in general) seem to think they are special. That even if they die of a heart attack, while on vacation, they deserve FULL benefits equivalent to what they would get IF they were killed in the line of duty. http://www.workerscompensationsettl...te-death-benefits-law-for-police-officers.php I understand the motivation -- and I completely reject it.

My sincere sympathy is extended to the family, but not my money. Extending my money would 'prove' nothing, and imho there's no plate to step up to. But on the upside, at least donations are voluntary -- unlike mandatory tax funded survivor benefits if a cop dies of a heart attack while on vacation, scuba diving in Hawaii.

And that murderer was not "kind of a jerk," that makes light of how deplorable his actions were.

There's zero percent chance this is PTSD. I don't think the guy ever saw combat."—Pierce County Sheriff’s Det. Ed Troyer on Ron & Don Show, KIRO FM

That statement is logically inconsistent. You can't leap to the conclusion that there's ZERO chance, if you don't even KNOW the facts.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Workman said:
So this doesn't get mixed up with that "other" Park Ranger thread

Why did you feel the need for that title? I'm curious.

Since that "other" thread is not even in this sub-forum. Since this thread is obviously just you pumping your article, unlike that "other" thread.

Since you are a "Journalist" I'd love to hear about your decision making process for using that title.

Ahhh using quotation marks to try and convey a pejorative meaning, good times. At least, I assume that is what you were doing, because I can't think of any rules of punctuation that justify your use of quotation marks.

Last edited:

J1MB0B

I'm not defending the BG in anyway, but Ed Troyer is an idiot.

I've been in the army for just over 11 years now. I have had enough training and been to enough classes to know that someone does't have to see combat to suffer from PTSD.

George Washington

From the article:
He was eventually discharged for DUI and illegally bringing a personal weapon to Joint Base Lewis-McChord

Can someone provide more information about this law that prohibits people from bringing personal weapons to military installations?

FallonJeeper

You can generally take a personal weapon to a military base, if you are stationed there or have business there, BUT, you will be required to check it at the gate. Depending on the base, this can be a time consuming procedure. Signs are usually posted, at the gates. I don't have the regulation handy. I've lived and worked on military bases since 1976. Even residents, on the base, were not permitted to have firearms on the base at all the basses I was assigned.

Last edited:

FMCDH

From the article:

Can someone provide more information about this law that prohibits people from bringing personal weapons to military installations?

There isn't a "law" its left up to base COs to set policy for military bases on this matter, and the policies very widely.

Nearly across the board, personal firearms carry (CC/OC) is outright prohibited under any circumstance, and nearly all bases make it a requirement that all personal firearms must be declared at the security checkpoints when entering the base. Some require/allow that they be checked in/out at the base armory after deceleration for those living on the base, and yet other bases that have ranges open to the public simply require the firearm to be unloaded and locked until on the firing line of the range or in the persons abode.

The various punishments for breaking the policy would normally be covered under the UCMJ, and typically fall under the category of "failing to obey a standing order".

If the state the base is located also has laws against carry (such as Kalifornia) and the person is found to be carrying in an illegal manner, they could also face criminal prosecution from the state IF the bases wanted to get local law enforcement involved.

This is just a simple summary, and should not be taken as the end all and be all of how these matters are handled. I have seen base standing order from one end of the spectrum to the other on this matter.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

The Pentagon was looking at the firearms rules after the Ft Hood shooting. I've never seen anything official following that effort.