• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

background check

Snazuolu

i was reading an article on yahoo and something popped out at me. "Gun sellers in the Bluegrass State, which has just 4.3 million residents, generated almost 2.3 million instant background checks in 2011.... Kentucky's numbers were distorted because the state runs a fresh background check every month on gun owners with state-issued concealed weapons permits". Now the way i interpreted this was that if you have a concealed license, whether or not you buy a gun, the FBI does a background check on you every month. Granted this is talking about Kentucky, but i wondered if it is like that here in Va? hmmm if so, i dont think i like that. if you want a link to the story, here it is.

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-data-shows-spike-firearm-purchases-2011-045125172.html

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well if Va isn't doing it they will at some point. Then some fool will introduce a bill trying to exempt CHP holders from purchase checks completely, to keep them happy.

For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind

chp-sales.jpg

thieltech

wow thats bull sh** :shocker: ! how do we go from being born with a right to bear arms ... to then being on constant probation month to month monitoring ..... what a joke . hope they dont ever do that in wisconsin

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
wow thats bull sh** :shocker: ! how do we go from being born with a right to bear arms ... to then being on constant probation month to month monitoring ..... what a joke . hope they dont ever do that in wisconsin

I'm guessing the lawmakers do not trust the courts to report convictions that would impair the privilege of carrying concealed. Or the lawmakers figured the state police did not have enough to do. Or some hoplophobe convinced the lawmakers that permit holders were such a slippery bunch that there must be literaly scads of them out there who were not qualified, seeing as how some other state whose name is Florida or North Carolina was in the news about having all those folks with permits who did not qualify to have them.

But rest safely, Virginia. There is at least one Commonwealth's Attorney who takes the effort to write to the Clerk of the Circuit Court that issued a CHP when someone is accused of a crime that might disqualify someone from keeping their CHP if they are convicted. (Fortunately, there is also a Clerk of the Circuit Court who understand what the law requires in order to recommend suspending/revoking a CHP.)

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm guessing the lawmakers do not trust the courts to report convictions that would impair the privilege of carrying concealed. Or the lawmakers figured the state police did not have enough to do. Or some hoplophobe convinced the lawmakers that permit holders were such a slippery bunch that there must be literaly scads of them out there who were not qualified, seeing as how some other state whose name is Florida or North Carolina was in the news about having all those folks with permits who did not qualify to have them.

But rest safely, Virginia. There is at least one Commonwealth's Attorney who takes the effort to write to the Clerk of the Circuit Court that issued a CHP when someone is accused of a crime that might disqualify someone from keeping their CHP if they are convicted. (Fortunately, there is also a Clerk of the Circuit Court who understand what the law requires in order to recommend suspending/revoking a CHP.)

stay safe.

Why, I think that is in a Ferry Tale somewhere:lol:

sparkman2

I wonder if a National conceal carry law is passed if this would be a stipulation for states to comply if they want to continue receiving federal funds. Brings to my mind the old "55 MPH" regulations they enacted sometime ago to reduce fuel consumption and save lives. :)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I wonder if a National conceal carry law is passed if this would be a stipulation for states to comply if they want to continue receiving federal funds. Brings to my mind the old "55 MPH" regulations they enacted sometime ago to reduce fuel consumption and save lives.

That's a rhetorical question up there, isn't it?

I think folks say you should, even if it's not in the rules, use a smiley so all the other folks will know you were not serious.

stay safe.

hunter45

I caught a girl shoplifting the other night. She was stealing $600 worth of merchandise (a felony). And she had heroin and needles on her. When I brought her up to my office and asked for ID, she handed me her CHP. :banghead:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I caught a girl shoplifting the other night. She was stealing $600 worth of merchandise (a felony). And she had heroin and needles on her. When I brought her up to my office and asked for ID, she handed me her CHP. :banghead:

Are you sure it was hers? I mean, everybody[SUP]1[/SUP] knows[SUP]2[/SUP] that you need a government-issued photo ID along with your CHP.

stay safe.

[SUP]1[/SUP] - OK, except for maybe 100% of the shoplifters caught redhanded.

[SUP]2[/SUP] - If we went by what people are "supposed" to know in order to not get run over crossing the street there would be fewer traffic accidents at crosswalks, would't there?

architect

See what happens when you make it too easy to get a CHP? They start shoplifting! :dude:

hotrod

stay safe.

They run Kentucky CDWL monthly so that we may buy a firearm without the wait of calling in for approval. Our CDWL is our approval and they use our license number on the 4473 as the approval number.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They run Kentucky CDWL monthly so that we may buy a firearm without the wait of calling in for approval. Our CDWL is our approval and they use our license number on the 4473 as the approval number.

chp-4.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
They run Kentucky CDWL monthly ....

Does it turn to into a pumpkin at midnight on the 30th day?

Seriously, why do they need to "run" it unless they have an actual, valid need RFN to verify that it remains valid? As I work through this, you folks in KY are getting your names run through the system every 30 days whether or not you are buying a firearm or being charged with a crime or just sitting at home minding your own business. I fail to understand why you put up with the insult of being checked on for no valid reason, let alone paying for how ever many file clerks it takes to run the whole state list, and eating up my federal tax assessment as well to pay the feds' cost of running your names through the system.

Only thing I can come up with is you are so used to that state abbreveation that no matter how or where it is applied you folks think it is wonderful. (Yes, I almost typed "OK" but realized I have no beef with Oklahoma.)

stay safe.