Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Response from Goodwill Industires

Response from Goodwill Industires

I sent this question through the SE Wisconsin Goodwill website:

I have recently noticed your store located off of 124th and Capitol Dr has posted that Concealed Weapons are not allowed within the store. Is this the new policy of Goodwill Industries?

RetailCustomerService RetailCustomerService@goodwillsew.com
    9:51 AM (23 minutes ago)

to me
    Mr. Hockerman,

Thank you for your inquiry about our policy on Conceal Carry in our stores. After careful consideration Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin and Metropolitan Chicago decided not to allow concealed weapons within our stores. Goodwill values the safety of all of our patrons and employees. Customers that are properly licensed are allowed to carry concealed weapons while in our parking lots and at our drive up donation areas. As you may know, Goodwill is a non-for-profit organization that provides training, employment and supportive services for people with disabilities or disadvantages who seek greater independence. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you and for your support of the Goodwill mission.

Sincerely,

Kay Gottardi
    Administrative Assistant
    5420 21st Street
    Racine, WI 53406
    262-551-2850

I guess I will be sending a "looks like my donations will not find there way to you" return email.

What I actually sent.

Kay,
    Thank you for your reply. Due to Goodwill Industries discrimination against law abiding citizens who have gone through the proper channels of state/federal background checks to obtain a concealed carry license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, I will no longer be supporting the effort of Goodwill Industries. Your signs will only deter the law abiding public from patronizing you locations, those who choose to carry illegally will not be deterred by your signs as shown in the past instances across the nation. I have posted your reply on multiple forums I frequent. I will also suggest to all of my friends and family that they should no longer give there Donations or spend there money to support a company that does not support the freedoms given to us through the Constitution of the United States of America.

The only reason it bugs me is that the wife likes to go there to look for discarded/dontated prepper stuff
    Last edited by 2superblus; 01-05-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Sounds like open carry is still ok!

Being in IL I am always unarmed at Goodwill, but perhaps I will no longer shop there.

I have stopped eating at a few IL restraunts because at the national level they prohibit CCW. I'll probably do the same here.

What prepper stuff have you found at Goodwill?

Why is it always for customer safety that CCW/OCW isn't allowed? It's so counter-intuitive to me. You ONLY disarm those that follow the law with such signs. DUH

Sent today

To Whom It May Concern,
    I will no longer be supporting the efforts of Goodwill Industries. I have posted your reply I saw from another member on the forums I use. There are over 30,000 Wisconsin Legal Concealed carry license holders as of today and a vast majority belong not only to Wisconsin forums but nationwide as well. I do not support any business or corporation that does not support my rights as written in the Constitution.
    Those of us who choose to carry a firearm for personal protection are not the ones you should be concerned about. Criminals do not care nor respect signs or laws but we do. Having to disarm and then go into the store makes me feel very uncomfortable.
    The Wisconsin Law is set up so that without posting signs stores and corporations are immune from civil liability should a bad situation occur. By posting your store there is no immunity. Here is a direct link to the Wisconsin DOJ website for you to review.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...ealedCarry.asp

2011 Wisconsin ACT35 is the entire law. Here is the excerpt of the immunity clause I am referencing.
    (21) IMMUNITY. (a) The department of justice, the
    department of transportation, and the employees of each
    department; clerks, as defined in sub. (11) (a) 1. a., and
    their staff; and court automated information systems, as
    defined under sub. (11) (a) 1. b., and their employees are
    immune from liability arising from any act or omission
    under this section, if done so in good faith.
    (b) A person that does not prohibit an individual from
    carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person
    owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising
    from its decision.
    (c) An employer that does not prohibit one or more
    Employees from carrying a concealed weapon under sub.
    (15m) is immune from any liability arising from its decision.

Until this decision is changed, I will no longer purchase nor donate any items.
    No gun/weapons/firearms sign will ever deter a criminal. It only deters me from legally carrying a weapon. Yes, we could debate the pros and the cons all day but at the end of the day my life is worth living for.
    You are telling the criminals that your store is a Criminal Safe Zone.
    I look forward to receiving a reply by email on your decision.

Regards,

Me....

contactus@goodwill.org and also RetailCustomerService@goodwillsew.com as well. Hope it helps out....
    May I see your First, Fourth And Thirteenth Amendment Permits, please?

Guns do not make you a killer. I
    think killing makes you a killer. You can kill
    someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is
    trying to ban you from driving to the ball game. (Andy Rooney RIP)

Looks like we're boycotting Goodwill.

Im guessing that the Goodwills are set up as different business entities... the Portage and both Madison stores are not posted whereas the Beaver Dam store IS posted..AND the discount card/emails that are associated with the Portage store are no honored at the Beaver Dam store... I wont go in the BD store, but i do go to hte Madison stores quite frequently... (i look for any thing that can be prepper associated! )

My wife finds all kinds of donated military gear. Alice packs, ammo cans, boots,camp stove etc. Most look brand new.

sweet..ive not found any good stuff like that!

Quote Originally Posted by msusnVet View Post
    This is just great, give a non for profit organization that employs and trains disadvantaged and disabled people a hard time.

Speak for yourself and do not include the other 30,000 plus permit holders in your letters to the Goodwill. A vast majority does not agree with you.
    *sigh* I'm so tired of people like this that just don't get it...

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    *sigh* I'm so tired of people like this that just don't get it...
    When I last looked, and it has been some time, Goodwill Industries of South Carolina was/is posted. So is American Red Cross Blood Services.

Not posted in the three GW stores in my area. They don't accept firearms as donated items, but otherwise have no comment, that I'm aware.

They do employ the disadvantaged. There was a young boy with Down's putting clothes out and he was treated very nicely and spoken to kindly by the employee supervising him. I support GW industries.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

I do get it, I am one of the 30,000 plus permit holders and I resent this persons attempt to make it sound like all permit holders in Wisconsin hold his opinion.
    It's great that Goodwill wants to help the less fortunate in the community, but the signs have as much chance of protecting the people inside as if Goodwill posted a sign saying "No Criminals".

msusnVet, maybe you would feel differently if you and/or some of these "disadvantaged and disabled people" were threatened or actually shot by criminals because Goodwill's policy prevented the law-abiding citizens from carrying in the stores?
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke; The Liberty Manifesto
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

Recently, I was in the appleton/town of menasha Goodwill store and they are posted. Before I left, I asked to talk to whoever would be in charge of making policy and ended up talking to someone in front office. They told me that this store sets policy for others in this region..... so, I explained what I thought of their decision and got an "thats nice... now, go away" type response.
    <-----Leading by example....while armed

Wisconsin democrats are a tough bunch, and you know what they say-- "when the going gets tough...."

A "No Guns" sign protects me as much as a speed limit sign keeps people from speeding.

Please post the precise locations in the Friend or Foe website, so that all of us can be aware.

http://www.friendorfoe.us/Default.aspx#la15

Herr Heckler Koch
    We have only the rights that we defend as civil rights.

There's always Purple Heart.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

I frequent my local Goodwill store. I will abide by the state law that gives any business the ability to post a no weapons sign. If I felt unsafe going to my local Goodwill store, I simply would not enter said establishment.

If a criminal is in the mindset you describe above, the presence or non presence of signage means diddly.
    msusnVet, that is exactly the point. The only person that will abide by the sign is a law abiding citizen. If a criminal has the intent of robbing the store and/or patrons no sign will prevent him/her from carrying out those plans. However if that particular store does not prevent law abiding citizens the right of self defense those criminals will not have card blanc.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

I do get it, I am one of the 30,000 plus permit holders and I resent this persons attempt to make it sound like all permit holders in Wisconsin hold his opinion.
    Your post implies that we are obligated to support Goodwill because they are non profit and help the disabled. I will not give up the rights so many have died for, just because Goodwill has a community help program. If they will not respect my right to self defense, I will exercise my rights to shop elsewhere.

That, is what you don't get.

I frequent my local Goodwill store. I will abide by the state law that gives any business the ability to post a no weapons sign. If I felt unsafe going to my local Goodwill store, I simply would not enter said establishment.

If a criminal is in the mindset you describe above, the presence or non presence of signage means diddly.
    Thats what you are not understanding, a sign only affects Law Abiding Citizens, criminals care less what a sign says. The sign takes away my ability to protect myself, and my family. Would you be mad if the Government suddenly posted all of Wisconsin as a gun free zone? I will also boycott Goodwill!

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    I resent that all gun owners, much less permit holders, in Wisconsin DON'T hold his opinion. If they did, there would probably be 10 signs in the whole state.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Ummm

There are over 30,000 Wisconsin Legal Concealed carry license holders as of today and a vast majority belong not only to Wisconsin forums but nationwide as well. < that is my statement..........

Where does it specifically STATE my
    [/QUOTE] attempt to make it sound like all permit holders in Wisconsin hold his opinion.[/QUOTE]

I gave a factual number of permit holders and the fact there are other forums I belong to and Yes, I am not a spokesperson but I would bet you that a majority of permit holders do indeed feel that our rights are being deferred. You are most likley in the minority of those who feel as you do so set up a poll and lets see. We have power in numbers and that translates to $$$ in the pockets of those businesses that decide we are lawabiding. Criminals love soft targets and hate concealed carry as it could be the suprise of thier life. over and out...

+1000

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    There's always Purple Heart.
    AMEN to that !!

Why engage those that don't stand up for their rights? It is obvious they are here to stir the pot and cause dissent.

Just think if every property owner in the country posted "No Firearms" or "No Weapons Allowed" where would you or could you legally go with your newly acquired Concealed Weapons License and firearm? Welcome to the New World: No criminals, no weapons....everything is bliss. In who's mind do these beliefs exist?

I'll keep my money, freedom and guns. You can spend your money and support the anti 2nd Amendment businesses and people. I won't.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
    Over 40,000 CC licenses have been sent out as of today.
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

You have no idea what the views of the vast majority of license holders in Wisconsin are. Nor do I.
    anyone else see the humor in this?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast