• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response from Goodwill Industires

2superblus

I sent this question through the SE Wisconsin Goodwill website:

I have recently noticed your store located off of 124th and Capitol Dr has posted that Concealed Weapons are not allowed within the store. Is this the new policy of Goodwill Industries?

RetailCustomerService RetailCustomerService@goodwillsew.com
9:51 AM (23 minutes ago)

to me
Mr. Hockerman,

Thank you for your inquiry about our policy on Conceal Carry in our stores. After careful consideration Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin and Metropolitan Chicago decided not to allow concealed weapons within our stores. Goodwill values the safety of all of our patrons and employees. Customers that are properly licensed are allowed to carry concealed weapons while in our parking lots and at our drive up donation areas. As you may know, Goodwill is a non-for-profit organization that provides training, employment and supportive services for people with disabilities or disadvantages who seek greater independence. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you and for your support of the Goodwill mission.

Sincerely,

Kay Gottardi
Administrative Assistant
5420 21st Street
Racine, WI 53406
262-551-2850

I guess I will be sending a "looks like my donations will not find there way to you" return email.

What I actually sent.

Kay,
Thank you for your reply. Due to Goodwill Industries discrimination against law abiding citizens who have gone through the proper channels of state/federal background checks to obtain a concealed carry license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, I will no longer be supporting the effort of Goodwill Industries. Your signs will only deter the law abiding public from patronizing you locations, those who choose to carry illegally will not be deterred by your signs as shown in the past instances across the nation. I have posted your reply on multiple forums I frequent. I will also suggest to all of my friends and family that they should no longer give there Donations or spend there money to support a company that does not support the freedoms given to us through the Constitution of the United States of America.

The only reason it bugs me is that the wife likes to go there to look for discarded/dontated prepper stuff

Last edited:

TyGuy

Being in IL I am always unarmed at Goodwill, but perhaps I will no longer shop there.

I have stopped eating at a few IL restraunts because at the national level they prohibit CCW. I'll probably do the same here.

What prepper stuff have you found at Goodwill?

Why is it always for customer safety that CCW/OCW isn't allowed? It's so counter-intuitive to me. You ONLY disarm those that follow the law with such signs. DUH

Packfanatic

Sent today

To Whom It May Concern,
I will no longer be supporting the efforts of Goodwill Industries. I have posted your reply I saw from another member on the forums I use. There are over 30,000 Wisconsin Legal Concealed carry license holders as of today and a vast majority belong not only to Wisconsin forums but nationwide as well. I do not support any business or corporation that does not support my rights as written in the Constitution.
Those of us who choose to carry a firearm for personal protection are not the ones you should be concerned about. Criminals do not care nor respect signs or laws but we do. Having to disarm and then go into the store makes me feel very uncomfortable.
The Wisconsin Law is set up so that without posting signs stores and corporations are immune from civil liability should a bad situation occur. By posting your store there is no immunity. Here is a direct link to the Wisconsin DOJ website for you to review.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ConcealedCarry.asp

2011 Wisconsin ACT35 is the entire law. Here is the excerpt of the immunity clause I am referencing.
(21) IMMUNITY. (a) The department of justice, the
department of transportation, and the employees of each
department; clerks, as defined in sub. (11) (a) 1. a., and
their staff; and court automated information systems, as
defined under sub. (11) (a) 1. b., and their employees are
immune from liability arising from any act or omission
under this section, if done so in good faith.
(b) A person that does not prohibit an individual from
carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person
owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising
from its decision.
(c) An employer that does not prohibit one or more
Employees from carrying a concealed weapon under sub.
(15m) is immune from any liability arising from its decision.

Until this decision is changed, I will no longer purchase nor donate any items.
No gun/weapons/firearms sign will ever deter a criminal. It only deters me from legally carrying a weapon. Yes, we could debate the pros and the cons all day but at the end of the day my life is worth living for.
You are telling the criminals that your store is a Criminal Safe Zone.
I look forward to receiving a reply by email on your decision.

Regards,

Me....

contactus@goodwill.org and also RetailCustomerService@goodwillsew.com as well. Hope it helps out....

GlockRDH

Im guessing that the Goodwills are set up as different business entities... the Portage and both Madison stores are not posted whereas the Beaver Dam store IS posted..AND the discount card/emails that are associated with the Portage store are no honored at the Beaver Dam store... I wont go in the BD store, but i do go to hte Madison stores quite frequently... (i look for any thing that can be prepper associated! )

msusnVet

To Whom It May Concern,
I will no longer be supporting the efforts of Goodwill Industries. I have posted your reply I saw from another member on the forums I use. There are over 30,000 Wisconsin Legal Concealed carry license holders as of today and a vast majority belong not only to Wisconsin forums but nationwide as well. I do not support any business or corporation that does not support my rights as written in the Constitution.
Those of us who choose to carry a firearm for personal protection are not the ones you should be concerned about. Criminals do not care nor respect signs or laws but we do. Having to disarm and then go into the store makes me feel very uncomfortable.
The Wisconsin Law is set up so that without posting signs stores and corporations are immune from civil liability should a bad situation occur. By posting your store there is no immunity. Here is a direct link to the Wisconsin DOJ website for you to review.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ConcealedCarry.asp

2011 Wisconsin ACT35 is the entire law. Here is the excerpt of the immunity clause I am referencing.
(21) IMMUNITY. (a) The department of justice, the
department of transportation, and the employees of each
department; clerks, as defined in sub. (11) (a) 1. a., and
their staff; and court automated information systems, as
defined under sub. (11) (a) 1. b., and their employees are
immune from liability arising from any act or omission
under this section, if done so in good faith.
(b) A person that does not prohibit an individual from
carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person
owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising
from its decision.
(c) An employer that does not prohibit one or more
Employees from carrying a concealed weapon under sub.
(15m) is immune from any liability arising from its decision.

Until this decision is changed, I will no longer purchase nor donate any items.
No gun/weapons/firearms sign will ever deter a criminal. It only deters me from legally carrying a weapon. Yes, we could debate the pros and the cons all day but at the end of the day my life is worth living for.
You are telling the criminals that your store is a Criminal Safe Zone.
I look forward to receiving a reply by email on your decision.

Regards,

Me....

contactus@goodwill.org and also RetailCustomerService@goodwillsew.com as well. Hope it helps out....

This is just great, give a non for profit organization that employs and trains disadvantaged and disabled people a hard time.

Speak for yourself and do not include the other 30,000 plus permit holders in your letters to the Goodwill. A vast majority does not agree with you.

PistolPackingMomma

This is just great, give a non for profit organization that employs and trains disadvantaged and disabled people a hard time.

Speak for yourself and do not include the other 30,000 plus permit holders in your letters to the Goodwill. A vast majority does not agree with you.

*sigh* I'm so tired of people like this that just don't get it...

Badger Johnson

Not posted in the three GW stores in my area. They don't accept firearms as donated items, but otherwise have no comment, that I'm aware.

They do employ the disadvantaged. There was a young boy with Down's putting clothes out and he was treated very nicely and spoken to kindly by the employee supervising him. I support GW industries.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I do get it, I am one of the 30,000 plus permit holders and I resent this persons attempt to make it sound like all permit holders in Wisconsin hold his opinion.

It's great that Goodwill wants to help the less fortunate in the community, but the signs have as much chance of protecting the people inside as if Goodwill posted a sign saying "No Criminals".

msusnVet, maybe you would feel differently if you and/or some of these "disadvantaged and disabled people" were threatened or actually shot by criminals because Goodwill's policy prevented the law-abiding citizens from carrying in the stores?

Deek

Recently, I was in the appleton/town of menasha Goodwill store and they are posted. Before I left, I asked to talk to whoever would be in charge of making policy and ended up talking to someone in front office. They told me that this store sets policy for others in this region..... so, I explained what I thought of their decision and got an "thats nice... now, go away" type response.

msusnVet

It's great that Goodwill wants to help the less fortunate in the community, but the signs have as much chance of protecting the people inside as if Goodwill posted a sign saying "No Criminals".

msusnVet, maybe you would feel differently if you and/or some of these "disadvantaged and disabled people" were threatened or actually shot by criminals because Goodwill's policy prevented the law-abiding citizens from carrying in the stores?

I frequent my local Goodwill store. I will abide by the state law that gives any business the ability to post a no weapons sign. If I felt unsafe going to my local Goodwill store, I simply would not enter said establishment.

If a criminal is in the mindset you describe above, the presence or non presence of signage means diddly.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

We have only the rights that we defend as civil rights.

bigdaddy1

I frequent my local Goodwill store. I will abide by the state law that gives any business the ability to post a no weapons sign. If I felt unsafe going to my local Goodwill store, I simply would not enter said establishment.

If a criminal is in the mindset you describe above, the presence or non presence of signage means diddly.

msusnVet, that is exactly the point. The only person that will abide by the sign is a law abiding citizen. If a criminal has the intent of robbing the store and/or patrons no sign will prevent him/her from carrying out those plans. However if that particular store does not prevent law abiding citizens the right of self defense those criminals will not have card blanc.