• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response from Goodwill Industires

H

Herr Heckler Koch

1992 27th Amendment proposed in 1789
Maybe not graved in stone, but as alive as molasses in January. Spellcheck did ya a ******. boar out.​
Nope. I wrote and spelled just what I meant. What would you have written, what would you have meant?

wild boar

When one is given ultimatums, such as is the...

This little twist happens all too often in discussion on the topic of whether or not to patronize an establishment that posts. No one is claiming Goodwill has no right to post. Nor is anyone claiming the "Constitutions" does not allow for said right. Furthermore, choosing not to patronize a business is not showing disrespect for their decision to post.

It is possible to respect the rights of others while not compromising your own. This is exactly the premise behind the decision not to patronize an establishment who chooses to post.

Explain what is wrong with choosing to err on the side of one's Second Amendment right versus compromising that right and patronizing an establishment -- in this case Goodwill.

...case here, threat of a public boycott sanctioned by members of a national organization, displayed on open forum, it has to be seen as an attack on ones Rights. They pose no threat to you, you must simply go armed elsewhere. This cause is selective, as you would not deny yourself, or a loved one medical care for a posting. There are more entities you use that post, and with that said, I rest my case. You can stand and watch your house burn because that department posts, but I will not be that obstinate. boar out.

Trip20

...case here, threat of a public boycott sanctioned by members of a national organization, displayed on open forum, it has to be seen as an attack on ones Rights. They pose no threat to you, you must simply go armed elsewhere. This cause is selective, as you would not deny yourself, or a loved one medical care for a posting. There are more entities you use that post, and with that said, I rest my case. You can stand and watch your house burn because that department posts, but I will not be that obstinate. boar out.

You can rest your case but it's very poor, as is your use of hyperbole. Medical and fire department services have little/no alternative for starters. Hardly a good comparison.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
This little twist happens all too often in discussion on the topic of whether or not to patronize an establishment that posts. No one is claiming Goodwill has no right to post. Nor is anyone claiming the "Constitutions" does not allow for said right. Furthermore, choosing not to patronize a business is not showing disrespect for their decision to post.

It is possible to respect the rights of others while not compromising your own. This is exactly the premise behind the decision not to patronize an establishment who chooses to post.

Explain what is wrong with choosing to err on the side of one's Second Amendment right versus compromising that right and patronizing an establishment -- in this case Goodwill.

WIN

FAIL

The more that post and get away with it scott free, the more signs there will be. I'd say that's a threat. You can do whatever you want but you shouldn't enshrine the right of a business to post but decry the right we have to boycott that business at the same time. Do you respect everyone's rights or not?

There are consequences to exercising rights. One of them is no guns = no money. I'd boycott a store that decided to ban blacks or gays too....would you?

metalman383

Well Mr. Boar.
Thanks to the great people from this forum, we were able to persuade Mega Foods, and Mega Holiday to pull their signs. I can now shop at my usual grocery store, and fill up at my usual gas station. I don't think that the Mike Buck, the president of Mega Foods felt attacked, but rather realized his bottom line may be affected by making a political statement, rather that following state law.
I think that most of us are here to help gain, and maintain rights that have been stripped from us. Why would we not want a buisness to see a potential error in their ways?

IcrewUH60

Honestly, I don't even see it as a boycott. I applied for and received my application for a good reason: "To go armed wherever I may legally do so".

If they post, they are telling me, upfront, that they do not want me in their business. I will simply honor their wishes and go elsewhere. That's what "No Guns = No Money" means to me. [EDIT] To be fair, I will also make an effort to contact the decision makers and let them know why they have lost my business.

Then there's that whole "Know Guns = Know Money" spinoff :eek:

Last edited:

protias

Honestly, I don't even see it as a boycott. I applied for and received my application for a good reason: "To go armed wherever I may legally do so".

If they post, they are telling me, upfront, that they do not want me in their business. I will simply honor their wishes and go elsewhere. That's what "No Guns = No Money" means to me. [EDIT] To be fair, I will also make an effort to contact the decision makers and let them know why they have lost my business.

Then there's that whole "Know Guns = Know Money" spinoff :eek:

It is a boycott though, but not in the way most people see it. They are boycotting us, which I find just peachy. I have an easier time finding a new place to shop at than a business does getting new customers.

Last edited:

Packfanatic

+1000

At least my shoe didn't come from Goodwill. Did yours? Shop there and have a ball! I know I won't be there. In fact, if it makes you feel better, spend enough for all of us.

You can take that post any way you want... in fact, I don't know what he's talking about with the 30,000 figure, but I do not think he's speaking for me. I can speak for myself, with my patronage, especially when seeing that posing on the door.

Exactly. I did not allude to being a spokesperson for anyone or any entity in my letter. I guess i am guilty of implying that by using forums , friendorfoe , facebook , and other social networking tools we do have some what of a network that spreads the word and if even one other person decides to not do business with such a place they have lost money. With the economy the way it is they are wanting more not less customers.. TO me it is power in numbers.

What if we had not been proactive in getting Concealed carry or Castle Domain passed?? would those who are against using this method of informing stores ( who may have been misinformed as to the laws) be more happy if there was no concealed permit/liscense/permission slip? I doubt it very much. That being said I will not back down from letting corporate heads know my $$ will be spent eleswhere. Look to Starbucks and the pressure that was applied and what the results are. Over and finally Out. :)

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
It is a boycott though, but not in the way most people see it. They are boycotting us, which I find just peachy. I have an easier time finding a new place to shop at than a business does getting new customers.

Very well said Joe.

It doesn't matter to me WHAT the business is, if they do not want an honest citizen in their business while that citizen exercises his RKBA then so be it. I'll shop elsewhere. Goodwill, Kohl's, Burger King, whatever...if they are posted they are boycotting me. I'm not boycotting them.

PistolPackingMomma

Excellent responses everyone!

Boar, I find it very...odd...that you feel property rights trump our personal rights, and our ability to choose where we patronize or not. You're saying we shouldn't boycott Goodwill just because they want us defenseless?

Jonesy, I'm sure the Founding Fathers used more than common sense and compassion when they REVOLTED against England and the crown. I have no compassion for a business that has no compassion for me. Goodwill may do good things; but not respecting our 2A rights is not one of them, and just as you and Boar are free to continue patronizing Goodwill, are the rest of us free to refuse to do business with them.

Business rights < my rights.

PistolPackingMomma

.., that's your Right. And when overwhelming public opinion ***** *** ** *** ***** again, look to a mirror when you point a finger.

As fun as this has been guys, I really have to move on. boar out.

Good thing I hold very little value in public (baaaaa) opinion.

ManInBlack

If you have never done any time in the military, you will never know what the real meaning of excersizing your Constitutional rights is all about. If you in fact have served in the military, I will stand down.

This reveals all the thinking man needs to know about your mindset.

Big Dipper

I agree with all of the comments that say that NOT doing business with a posted business is NOT a boycott but is merely acceding to the business’s requirements as to what “types” of customers they wish to do business with.

A very similar instance would be one where I only keep $20 or less on my person and my wanting to treat several friends at some (pricey perhaps) restaurant that declares “cash only – no credit cards, no checks accepted”. Have they not themselves set the criteria for who an acceptable/qualified customer is? My opting to not go there is due to THEIR declaration that I am NOT an acceptable/qualified customer because I cannot agree to, nor can I comply with, the terms and conditions that THEY have set out.

I for one do not see a difference – no credit cards, no weapons. It is the business that has set the conditions which prevent the probable transaction from occuring.

I also see nothing wrong with passing along the information to other (possibly) unacceptable, unqualified, potential customers.

wild boar

By me stating a fact you conclude I...

Now YOU are speaking for the majority of the public. LOL!!

...am acting as a spokes person. Do you really believe the majority of the public is in agreement with the Conceal Carry Law in Wisconsin? Do you feel that we would have this law without changing the makeup of the State Government? BACK UP YOUR POST WITH FACTS SIR. boar out.