• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wentzville, MO Legal to Open Carry Yes or No

ThePhotog

Is Wentzville, MO Legal to Open Carry Yes or No and does anyone know the location of the law?

Thanks in advance

OC for ME

SECTION 210.250: WEAPONS -- CARRYING CONCEALED -- OTHER UNLAWFUL USE
A. A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he/she knowingly:
1. Carries concealed upon or about his/her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;
2. Sets a spring gun;
3. Discharges or shoots a firearm;
4. Exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner;
5. Possesses a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated;
6. Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;
7. Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.
D. Subparagraphs (1), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to Sections 571.101 to 571.121, RSMo., or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another State or political subdivision of another State.
E. Subparagraphs (3), (4), (5), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to persons who are engaged in a lawful act of defense pursuant to Section 563.031, RSMo.

http://z2.sullivanpublications.com/wentzville-slp/
Here ya go. Select Title II, Chapter 210, Article VI to Section 210,250.

I have yet to see anyone OCing in Wentzville.

sohighlyunlikely

Here ya go. Select Title II, Chapter 210, Article VI to Section 210,250.

I have yet to see anyone OCing in Wentzville.

In the last couple of years I have open carry in wentzville several times. 1 of the members on here by the name of superlite, probly open carry in wentzville on a weekly basis. but both of us are CCW permit holders.

Doc

Firedawg314

In the last couple of years I have open carry in wentzville several times. 1 of the members on here by the name of superlite, probly open carry in wentzville on a weekly basis. but both of us are CCW permit holders.

Doc

Here's my .02 cents... this is just my opinion/ thoughts....

I have "heard" people OCing there in Wentzville. BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE DO IT. My suggestion is this...during this time of year, wear a jacket and wear it on your hip. The jacket conceals it. (depending on your body type), for myself, I'm pretty atlethltc, I can walk with my thin jacket/ leather jacket and pretty much no one knows I'm carrying until I reach for my back pocket for my wallet.

If I'm not wearing a jacket, I normally wear a polo type shirt and its draps over the gun. Most people probably believe I am a cop... but it maybe the way I walk and talk from being in the militray for so many years. For the general public that rely on tv for information and the latest movies for guidiness... 90% of the time, its how your present yourself. If you dress like a teenager, they are going to assume you are a thug. If you dress like an adult without the slang... they will assume you are a cop... go figure... I guess it helps them to sleep at night.

Then it all depends on how the community "sees" having a gun on you. If they could, they would make having a CCW illegal. Sometimes we have to remember that... to "conceal" it. Treat it like VD... no one needs to know until that moment...LOL. Espeically in some bad areas... pretty much if they see you with a gun... they will change their approch on you... which would be bad, because, at that moment you are either shot or out gunned. But if the bad guy thinks you are unarmed... its a wonderful surpirse for them to see then end of your barrel, espeically if they brought a knife... to a gun fight.

I know the main issue is... to have the choice to CC or OC, the answer is... I don't know. But know that your CCW is welcome there. Good luck and take care.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I open carry in Wentzville all the time. My son lives there and Kellee loves to shop at CATO there. I can be seen there no less than once a month outside smoking lol.

Been to walmart there as well. There is a photo of the sign I made for ARMYGEAR.NET is here on this site as they promote open and concealed carry and invite it into their store.

mspgunner

I've been to Army Gear and OC'd, nice fella, never bats an eye!

He sure knows you LMTD!
And because of you I and others go there, OC and shop to support a place that supports us with the welcome sign.

Now support OC:

I attendend the last meeting of the GCLA here in the STL area. They discussed their 2A priorities for 2012.
Public transit and College campus were on the list.
They asked for suggestions from the "membership".
I suggested "pre-emption" for open carry.
The BOD shot it down immediate and point blank!

I suppose some of the pro-2A groups don't even know what 2A rights are about.
January 14th is the BOD meeting for MSSA, I'm going!

We in the open carry community need to contact our legislators and ask them to support a bill for "pre-emption" of open carry rights.
We are not going to get help from the "pro-2A" organiztions.

These and other groups have a lobbyist in Jefferson City. I don't see "our" interests being pushed by him

This is the link to the Missouri House of Representatives:
http://www.house.mo.gov/
There you can find a link to find you House Representative and a "link" to the Missouri Senate to find your State Senator.

St. louis will host the annual NRA convention in April, probably the largest convention in Missouri this year! WE have a governor who has signed pro-2A bills.
And we have a veto-proof 2A Majority in the House and senate.

Pre-emption and even constitutional carry may be within our grasp and another opportunity may never be had again!

Go to the web site, contact your legislator, tell them you want to see a bill to become law supporting your 2nd amendment rights of carrying a firearm without having to pay for a"right which shall not be infringed", you want a right to carry a firearm without "local governements" making a decision that over rides Art. 1 Sec. 23 of the Missouri Constitution, the right ot keep and bear arms.

This can be our year, you can make it happen!
If you don't, who will? The opportunity will be lost.

DO IT NOW!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Here's my .02 cents... this is just my opinion/ thoughts....

I have "heard" people OCing there in Wentzville. BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE DO IT. My suggestion is this...during this time of year, wear a jacket and wear it on your hip. The jacket conceals it. (depending on your body type), for myself, I'm pretty atlethltc, I can walk with my thin jacket/ leather jacket and pretty much no one knows I'm carrying until I reach for my back pocket for my wallet.

If I'm not wearing a jacket, I normally wear a polo type shirt and its draps over the gun. Most people probably believe I am a cop... but it maybe the way I walk and talk from being in the militray for so many years. For the general public that rely on tv for information and the latest movies for guidiness... 90% of the time, its how your present yourself. If you dress like a teenager, they are going to assume you are a thug. If you dress like an adult without the slang... they will assume you are a cop... go figure... I guess it helps them to sleep at night.

Then it all depends on how the community "sees" having a gun on you. If they could, they would make having a CCW illegal. Sometimes we have to remember that... to "conceal" it. Treat it like VD... no one needs to know until that moment...LOL. Espeically in some bad areas... pretty much if they see you with a gun... they will change their approch on you... which would be bad, because, at that moment you are either shot or out gunned. But if the bad guy thinks you are unarmed... its a wonderful surpirse for them to see then end of your barrel, espeically if they brought a knife... to a gun fight.

I know the main issue is... to have the choice to CC or OC, the answer is... I don't know. But know that your CCW is welcome there. Good luck and take care.

You could have been succinct and written, "Here's what I do, I CC. Oh, and how you dress is important but looking sloppy with an untucked polo shirt to conceal is better than looking squared away with a nice polo shirt tucked in OC. I know this is an OPEN carry forum, but I still want to push a CC agenda. Good luck." 0_o /snark

I'll follow-up that obviously snarky comment with some politeness. :) Here's some general info since you are new that may give you some broader perspective of the forum. The fact is that most OCDO members have CCW/CPLs. Over the years, forum polling has indicated that the majority of OCDO members both CC and OC depending on circumstances, weather, personal comfort and obviously legality. I, for example, CC daily because of a city ordinance banning OC. I do OC other places in the county/state and almost exclusively OC in KY where I go with some frequency. A lot of that was on the old forum which I don't think is accessible so I'm just giving a bit of history.

OCDO members who are oppossed to CC are typically oppossed to the "permission slip" of a license/permit from the government to exercise a constitutional right rather than CC itself. Missouri is an intersting dynamic in that regard as our constitution protects the right to carry but not CC. So, under our state constitution one would think that OC would constitutionally preempt any anti-OC laws and that the CC law would meet state constitutional requirements. Unfortunately, MO has and has had some awful judiciary such that CC is preempted and OC rights are trampled in much of the state.

So, yeah, we can CC in Wentzville and any other city because of preemption. There is no need to ask on the forum if we can carry CC with a CCW in any particular MO political jurisdiction (although specific buildings/locations are sometimes confusing). Unfortunately, a lack of preemption law as to OC and a judiciary that has often thumbed its nose at the state constitution's plain language, makes OC an iffy proposition in many places in MO, especially in the St. Louis area given the god-awful huge number off political subdivisions (if memory serves, St. Louis county has 92 or 93 separate political subdivisions within its borders - the most anywhhere in the nation by area - interesting history about why that happened).

Welcome to OCDO (a few months late). There are a lot of very knowledgeable and intelligent people around here. I have learned an enormous amount on this forum, had many lively and enlightening discussions, and have found need to re-think several preconceptions and viewpoints. Hope you enjoy your time here.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
The great OC/CC debate.

1. Carry.
2. Have a CCW so you are restricted fewer places and get past the GFSZA which was stupid at its inception.
3. Have the CCW so that if you are OC you can cover it in the rain, even Remoil can't stop a thunderstorm from causing rust fast.

4. am most importantly, CARRY AS YOU SEE FIT. Those of us pushing for OC legislation are not saying everyone or any one should OC, we are simply saying EVERYONE should have that choice as our constitutions clearly define that RIGHT of choice.

Morpheus97

+1

Sometimes I CC, sometimes I OC. One point of clarification on LMTD's post, an in-state CCW permit is required to be excluded from the GFSZA.