• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lobby Day 2012, Jan 16th - Be there!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have my own opinion on the bills that I have seen/read.

I know Bills are still being filed but I was wondering if we are going to see a VCDL stance on any of the bills BEFORE lobby day?

Today and tomorrow should see some progress on this at the GA.

First the senate "issue" to address, then committees and chairmen, then bills to be introduced.

Old Virginia Joe

First the senate "issue" to address, then committees and chairmen, then bills to be introduced.

Grape---How does this response address what is the "VCDL stance" on the proposed bills? I must be dumb---I cannot understand what your response means, by addressing what the GA might do "today and tomorrow."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have my own opinion on the bills that I have seen/read.

I know Bills are still being filed but I was wondering if we are going to see a VCDL stance on any of the bills BEFORE lobby day?

Grape---How does this response address what is the "VCDL stance" on the proposed bills? I must be dumb---I cannot understand what your response means, by addressing what the GA might do "today and tomorrow."

Simple enough - until bills are introduced, it is hard to have a stance on them.

Very little of major report has been prefiled excepting Castle Doctrine submissions - I believe there are 3 such. None of them measure up and would be a huge step backwards from present case law. Constitutional Carry hasn't generated much positive response from the GA - don't think its time has come to VA yet.

The entire GA has been focused on the Senate Rules Committee and the effect their decisions will have on how bills are handled and by whom. It is a totally new ballgame. Therein lies the key to what bills are even worth submitting, much less supporting.

Old Virginia Joe

Simple enough - until bills are introduced, it is hard to have a stance on them.

and by whom. It is a totally new ballgame. Therein lies the key to what bills are even worth submitting, much less supporting.

If this is true, then maybe our lobby day date is pre-mature. We have only a few days left now to learn and get conversant about what it is we are supposed to be doing as "lobbyists!" Hmmm?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If this is true, then maybe our lobby day date is pre-mature. We have only a few days left now to learn and get conversant about what it is we are supposed to be doing as "lobbyists!" Hmmm?

Somewhat late to change the date and expect to have an analysis and further wish list at the meeting tonight.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The drum beats. The flag waves. The ranks fill.

Stand tall, stand proud. Remember that each one of us represents others that can't make this trip.

We are the point element, the vanguard.

We represent the voice and will of responsible, conservative Virginians.........and we vote.

ribbon.gif

MSC 45ACP

Mike I hope to see you there. Probably wont make breakfast long ride from over here in Gods country. Leaving Shore at 0445 to get there by 0830. Lonely ride :cry:

Too bad you don't have a fast, seaworthy boat. It would almost be cheaper and faster to go from Cape Charles straight across the Bay to the public pier at Yorktown. Its only 25.3 NM from Cape Charles to my daughter's boyfriend's pier ( southern branch of Wormley Creek) or 27 miles to the public pier at Yorktown (not as protected).

In a good workboat, you could make that trip in an hour (give or take a few minutes). Do you have any buddies with workboats that would be able to take you across the Bay @ 0430 Monday? I know most watermen are already up and around at that hour, but they may not be willing to make the trip if its nasty.

We can make room for you in my car if it isn't too late to make those arrangements.

Just a thought...

Mike

Marco

Very little of major report has been prefiled excepting Castle Doctrine submissions - I believe there are 3 such. None of them measure up and would be a huge step backwards from present case law. Constitutional Carry hasn't generated much positive response from the GA - don't think its time has come to VA yet.

The entire GA has been focused on the Senate Rules Committee and the effect their decisions will have on how bills are handled and by whom. It is a totally new ballgame. Therein lies the key to what bills are even worth submitting, much less supporting.

Introduced Bills for 2012 session - so far

Fri Jan 13 2012 12:20 PM

I leave it up to you to read and decide if a proposed bill is good or bad for 2A or for freedom minded patriots.

This has nothing to do with VCDL list as they haven't gotten their list together yet.

I ask that you PLEASE read the full text of the bills and contact your Elected officals.
Here is a link to the LIS Bill Tracking .

HB 14
Persons acting in defense of property; civil immunity provided for an occupant of dwelling, etc.
Gregory D. Habeeb

Summary as introduced:
Immunity for persons acting in defense of property. Provides civil immunity for an occupant of a dwelling who uses any degree of physical force while engaged in the defense of his dwelling when (i) the other person has unlawfully entered the dwelling and committed an overt act toward the occupant or another person in the dwelling and (ii) the occupant reasonably believes that he or another person in the dwelling is in imminent serious danger of bodily injury.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HB 20
Emergency Services & Disaster Law; shall not be interpreted to prohibit carrying, etc., of firearms.
Tony O. Wilt

Summary as introduced:
Emergency services and disasters; constitutional rights. Provides that nothing in the Emergency Services and Disaster Law shall be interpreted to limit or prohibit the possession, carrying, transportation, sale, or transfer of firearms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HB 25
Concealed handgun permits; confidentiality of permittee information.
Mark L. Cole

Summary as introduced:
Concealed handgun permits; confidentiality of permittee information. Prohibits the clerk of the court from disclosing information contained on a concealed handgun permit application or on an order issuing a concealed handgun permit.

HB 26
Concealed handgun permit; failure to produce upon demand of a law-enforcement officer, penalty.
Mark L. Cole

Summary as introduced:
Failure to carry concealed handgun permit; penalty. Provides that failure to produce, upon demand of a law-enforcement officer, a concealed handgun permit and a government-issued photo identification while carrying a concealed handgun is punishable by a $25 civil penalty. A court may waive this penalty if the person presents a valid concealed handgun permit and government-issued photo identification to the court. The bill also introduces an affirmative defense of having a valid concealed handgun permit to a charge of violating the concealed weapons statute.

HB 47
Persons acting in defense of property; civil immunity provided for an occupant of dwelling, etc.
Richard P. Bell

Summary as introduced:
Immunity for persons acting in defense of persons. Provides civil immunity for an occupant of a dwelling who injures or kills another while engaged in the defense of his dwelling when (i) the other person has unlawfully entered the dwelling and committed an overt act toward the occupant or another person in the dwelling and (ii) the occupant reasonably believes that he or another person in the dwelling is in imminent danger of bodily injury.

HB 48
Castle doctrine; self-defense and defense of others.
Richard P. Bell

Summary as introduced:
Castle doctrine. Encodes a version of the "castle doctrine," allowing the use of physical force, including deadly force, by a person in his dwelling against an intruder in the dwelling who has committed an overt act against him or another person who is lawfully in the dwelling, without civil liability.

HB 139
Concealed handguns; persons who may lawfully carry hidden from common observation, penalty.
Mark L. Cole

Summary as introduced:
Carrying concealed handguns; penalties. Provides that any person who may lawfully possess a firearm in Virginia may carry it hidden from common observation. The bill retains the procedures to obtain a permit that authorizes a person to carry a concealed handgun for those who wish to carry a concealed handgun in other states with reciprocal agreements with the Commonwealth. The bill creates Class 1 misdemeanors for carrying concealed handguns during the commission of certain drug-related crimes and makes carrying a concealed handgun during the commission of certain felonies a separate felony. This bill contains technical amendments.

HB 237
Criminal history record information checks upon handgun purchases; dissemination of information.
John A. Cosgrove

Summary as introduced:
Criminal history record information checks upon handgun purchases; protective order registry; dissemination of information. Provides that certain criminal history record information and protective order registry information shall be made available to the Attorney General of the United States for the purposes of a National Instant Criminal Background check to determine a person’s eligibility to possess or purchase a firearm under state or federal law. The bill also limits the requirement for a Virginia-specific criminal history record information check to the purchase of handguns only. Under current law, the Virginia-specific criminal history record information check applies to all purchases of any firearm in the Commonwealth.

HB 288
Courthouses; exception from prohibition against carrying weapon for city and county treasurers.
Beverly J. Sherwood

Summary as introduced:
Carrying weapons into courthouses; exception. Provides an exception from the prohibition against carrying a weapon into courthouses in the Commonwealth for city and county treasurers
-----------------------------------------------------------------

HB 364
Criminal history record information; record check to be performed on prospective transferee.
Jennifer L. McClellan

Summary as introduced:
Transfer of firearms; criminal records check; penalties. Adds a definition of "firearms show vendor" and requires that a criminal history record information check be performed on the prospective transferee before the vendor may transfer firearms at a gun show. Under current law, only licensed dealers must obtain such a check. The bill also requires that the promoter of a gun show provide vendors with access to licensed dealers who will conduct the criminal history record information check

HB 375
Firearms; workplace rules by localities.
Brenda L. Pogge |

Summary as introduced:
Control of firearms by localities; workplace rules. Prohibits localities from adopting a workplace rule that prevents an employee from storing a lawfully possessed firearm and ammunition in his locked motor vehicle. The firearm must be in a secured container or compartment in the vehicle
--------------------------------------------------------------------

HB 458
Firearms; locality may adopt an ordinance that prohibits in libraries.
Mamye E. BaCote
Summary as introduced:
Control of firearms; libraries owned by localities. Provides that a locality may adopt an ordinance that prohibits firearms, ammunition, or components, or a combination thereof, in libraries owned or operated by the locality

HB 592
Concealed handgun permittees; criminal history record information check exemption for some firearms.
Donald W. Merricks

Summary as introduced:
Criminal history record information check for transfer of certain firearms; exemption for concealed handgun permittees. Provides an exemption from Virginia-specific criminal history record information checks upon the purchase of firearms from licensed dealers when the purchaser is a Virginia resident holding a valid Virginia-issued concealed handgun permit

HB 754
Concealed handgun permit applications; removes option for locality to require applicant fingerprint.
Benjamin L. Cline

Summary as introduced:
Concealed handgun permit applications; fingerprints. Removes the option for a locality to require that an applicant for a concealed handgun permit submit fingerprints as part of the application.

HB 797
Handgun; carrying while under the influence of alcohol or drugs in a public place, penalty.
Joseph D. Morrissey

Summary as introduced:
Carrying a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or drugs; penalty. Creates a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person carrying a handgun in a public place while under the influence of alcohol or drugs and prohibits a person from obtaining a concealed handgun permit for five years following such a conviction. The prohibition applies regardless of whether the person is carrying the handgun openly or concealed. Current law makes it a Class 1 misdemeanor to carry a concealed handgun in a public place while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, but does not speak to openly carrying a handgun while under the influence.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

HB 859
Concealed handgun permittees; criminal history record information check exemption for some firearms.
C. Todd Gilbert

Summary as introduced:
Criminal history record information check for transfer of certain firearms; exemption for concealed handgun permittees. Provides an exemption from the required criminal history record information check upon firearms transfers in the Commonwealth for persons holding a valid Virginia-issued concealed handgun permit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HB 925
Castle doctrine; codifies version allowing use of deadly force against an intruder in dwelling.
L. Scott Lingamfelter

Summary as introduced:
Castle doctrine; self-defense and defense of others. Codifies a version of the "castle doctrine," allowing the use of physical force, including deadly force, by a person in his dwelling against an intruder in the dwelling who has committed an overt act against him or another person in the dwelling, without civil liability.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

HB 929
Concealed weapons; exemption of former attorneys for State to obtain permit.
L. Scott Lingamfelter

Summary as introduced:
Carrying concealed weapons by former attorneys for the Commonwealth. Provides an exemption for former attorneys for the Commonwealth and former assistant attorneys for the Commonwealth from the requirement to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

HB 940
Handguns; eliminates prohibition on purchasing more than one in a 30-day period.
L. Scott Lingamfelter

Summary as introduced:
Purchase of handguns; eliminate limitation on handgun purchases. Eliminates the prohibition on purchasing more than one handgun in a 30-day period.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

HB 952
Carrying concealed weapons; correctional officers.
Robert B. Bell

Summary as introduced:
Carrying concealed weapons; correctional officers. Allows a Department of Corrections correctional officer to carry a concealed handgun without a concealed handgun permit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

HB 1012
Criminal history record information checks; elimination of fees.
David I. Ramadan

Summary as introduced:
Criminal history record information checks; elimination of fees. Eliminates the fees to be collected by licensed dealers for every firearms transaction that requires a criminal history record information check.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HB 1052
Firearms and other weapons; removing prohibition against carrying in air carrier airport terminals.
Richard L. Anderson

Summary as introduced:
Carrying weapons in air carrier airport terminals; removing prohibition against carrying firearms. Removes the prohibition against carrying certain firearms and other weapons in air carrier airport terminals. The bill retains the prohibition against carrying explosives in such areas.

HB 1135
Concealed handgun permits; removes certain requirements for out-of-state permits.
R. Lee Ware, Jr.

Summary as introduced:
Out-of-state concealed handgun permits; photo identification. Removes certain requirements for an out-of-state concealed handgun permit to be recognized and accepted in Virginia. Requires an out-of-state permittee to carry and present a valid government-issued photo identification in order for his valid out-of-state concealed weapon permit to be recognized and accepted in Virginia.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

HJ 17
Constitutional amendment; restoration of civil rights to persons convicted of felonies, etc.
Joseph D. Morrissey

Summary as introduced:
Constitutional amendment (first resolution); restoration of civil rights. Authorizes the General Assembly to provide by general law for the restoration of civil rights for persons convicted of felonies who have completed service of their sentence including any period or condition of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence. The present Constitution provides for restoration of rights by the Governor. The proposed amendment retains the right of the Governor to restore civil rights and adds the alternative for restoration of rights pursuant to general law

SB 4
Richard H. Stuart

Summary as introduced:
Castle doctrine; self-defense and defense of others. Codifies a version of the "castle doctrine," allowing the use of physical force, including deadly force, by a person in his dwelling against an intruder in the dwelling who has committed an overt act against him or another person in the dwelling, without civil liability.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

SB 64
William M. Stanley, Jr.

Summary as introduced:
Castle doctrine. Encodes a version of the "castle doctrine," allowing the use of physical force, including deadly force, by a person in his dwelling against an intruder in the dwelling who has committed an overt act against him or another person who is lawfully in the dwelling, without civil liability.

SB 67
Concealed handgun permit applications; removes option for locality to require fingerprints.
William M. Stanley, Jr.

Summary as introduced:
Concealed handgun permit applications; fingerprints. Removes the option for a locality to require that an applicant for a concealed handgun permit submit fingerprints as part of the application.

SB 245
Emergency services and disasters; constitutional rights.
Mark D. Obenshain

Summary as introduced:
Emergency services and disasters; constitutional rights. Provides that nothing in the Emergency Services and Disaster Law shall be interpreted to limit or prohibit the possession, carrying, transportation, sale, or transfer of firearms.

SB 323
Handguns; eliminates prohibition on purchasing more than one in a 30-day period.
Charles W. Carrico, Sr.

Summary as introduced:
Purchase of handguns; eliminate limitation on handgun purchases. Eliminates the prohibition on purchasing more than one handgun in a 30-day period.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

SB 324
Limitation on Administrative Actions Relating to Firearms Act; established.
Charles W. Carrico, Sr.

Summary as introduced:
Limitation on administrative actions relating to Firearms Act. Establishes legislative preemption of any administrative action taken by an administrative body that has the direct or indirect effect of governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage, or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, unless the administrative body has express statutory authority. Under the bill, any administrative action taken prior to July 1, 2012, having a direct or indirect effect of governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid. The bill also requires administrative bodies to take appropriate action to bring any contrary administrative action into compliance.

SB 379
Firearms transfers; penalties.
A. Donald McEachin

Summary as introduced:
Firearms transfers; penalties. Creates a Class 2 misdemeanor for a person who is not a licensed dealer to sell, rent, trade, or transfer a firearm to any other person who is not a licensed dealer. The bill also creates a Class 2 misdemeanor for a person who is not a licensed dealer to buy, rent, trade, or transfer a firearm from any other person who is not a licensed dealer.

SB 389
Pneumatic gun ordinances.
David W. Marsden

Summary as introduced:
Pneumatic gun ordinances. Allows localities to enact an ordinance to prohibit the possession of pneumatic guns on school property, at school functions held on public property, and on school buses. The bill further provides that an ordinance may not prohibit possession or use of a pneumatic gun by law-enforcement officers or as part of the school's curriculum or activities.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SB 429
Criminal history record information checks; required forms.
Frank M. Ruff, Jr.

Summary as introduced:
Criminal history record information checks; required forms. Provides that the form provided by the State Police to be completed upon the sale of a firearm shall contain only the questions specific to Virginia law. The bill also provides that a copy of the consent form required under federal law for the purposes of running a criminal history record information check upon the purchase of a firearm shall be sent to the State Police by the dealer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SB 435
Criminal history record information check; making false statements; penalty.
Ryan T. McDougle

Summary as introduced:
Criminal history record information check; making false statements; penalty. Provides that any person who knowingly makes a materially false statement on criminal history background check forms required for the purchase and transfer of firearms is guilty of a Class 5 felony. Current law uses the phrase "willfully and intentionally" rather than "knowingly." The bill contains technical amendments.

I limited my search to firearms and strictly firearms related,imho.
Again, I ask that you review the bills and contact your legislator .

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Too bad you don't have a fast, seaworthy boat. It would almost be cheaper and faster to go from Cape Charles straight across the Bay to the public pier at Yorktown. Its only 25.3 NM from Cape Charles to my daughter's boyfriend's pier ( southern branch of Wormley Creek) or 27 miles to the public pier at Yorktown (not as protected).

In a good workboat, you could make that trip in an hour (give or take a few minutes). Do you have any buddies with workboats that would be able to take you across the Bay @ 0430 Monday? I know most watermen are already up and around at that hour, but they may not be willing to make the trip if its nasty.

We can make room for you in my car if it isn't too late to make those arrangements.

Just a thought...

Mike
Mike I appreciate the thought. The wife and I have discussed this option a number of times. Her cousin lives in Colonial Beach and it would considerably faster to go across the Bay. Unfortunately my boat is not big enough that I would attempt that trip, and I don't know anyone that would want to make the trip on Monday.

Hope to see you all there though.

John

MagiK_SacK

OC with no CHP on lobby day

Hello everybody! New member here. I will be making it out to lobby day on Monday but I have a question. I just filed for my CHP yesterday so needless to say i don't have it. I would like to OC, and I know if I do I will not be allowed inside the GA with out a CHP. How about outside the GA? Is there a 1000 foot rule or anything like that?

Sorry if I am asking something that has already been answered. I thought I saw a forum titled with something that sounded like it would be an answer to this question but i cant find it for the life of me....

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Hello everybody! New member here. I will be making it out to lobby day on Monday but I have a question. I just filed for my CHP yesterday so needless to say i don't have it. I would like to OC, and I know if I do I will not be allowed inside the GA with out a CHP. How about outside the GA? Is there a 1000 foot rule or anything like that?

Sorry if I am asking something that has already been answered. I thought I saw a forum titled with something that sounded like it would be an answer to this question but i cant find it for the life of me....
Outside no CHP required, only needed to enter GA building.

2a4all

Introduced Bills for 2012 session - so farFri Jan 13 2012 12:20 PM I leave it up to you to read and decide if a proposed bill is good or bad for 2A or for freedom minded patriots.This has nothing to do with VCDL list as they haven't gotten their list together yet.I ask that you PLEASE read the full text of the bills and contact your Elected officals.Here is a link to the LIS Bill Tracking .I limited my search to firearms and strictly firearms related,imho.Again, I ask that you review the bills and contact your legislator .

Thanks, Agent19.

I put the particulars you posted into an Excel spreadsheet, and hyperlinked each bill # to the LIS Bill Tracking. Makes lookup easy.

I edited out your list here for brevity.

I'd be happy to post it to OCDO if it's possible.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

SOME OF US, don't have CHP's and don't plan to get one either...so you'll have company outside of the Peoples House.

XD Owner

See you tomorrow (Monday!)

I look forward to going to Richmond tomorrow. I did this four years ago (my how time flies) and anticipate an even bigger crowd.

MSC 45ACP

Mike I appreciate the thought. The wife and I have discussed this option a number of times. Her cousin lives in Colonial Beach and it would considerably faster to go across the Bay. Unfortunately my boat is not big enough that I would attempt that trip, and I don't know anyone that would want to make the trip on Monday.

Hope to see you all there though.

John

Just a thought, John. Colonial Beach? That's a LONG ride half-way up the Bay! Actually a bit more than that, even... Once you hang a left at Smith Point, you still gotta go a few hours up the River to Colonial Beach. if you stop just inside the creek at Curley's Packing Plant for gas, you better pay attention to what the tide is doing or you may very well crash the pier. Not saying I know anyone that has done this of course... :-x

Its a chilly ride across the Bay this time of year. I wouldn't want to do it in anything that gets even a little spray over the bow.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Just a thought, John. Colonial Beach? That's a LONG ride half-way up the Bay! Actually a bit more than that, even... Once you hang a left at Smith Point, you still gotta go a few hours up the River to Colonial Beach. if you stop just inside the creek at Curley's Packing Plant for gas, you better pay attention to what the tide is doing or you may very well crash the pier. Not saying I know anyone that has done this of course... :-x

Its a chilly ride across the Bay this time of year. I wouldn't want to do it in anything that gets even a little spray over the bow.
Yea would be kinda chilly ride. I'm familliar with Curley's. We used to keep a camper at the camp ground and fish the river all the time. From Onancock area it's almost a straight shot across the Bay to Reedville (about 26 miles).

Hopefully I'll catch up with you tomarrow.

Last edited:

Felix

SOME OF US, don't have CHP's and don't plan to get one either...so you'll have company outside of the Peoples House.

Don't you do some lobbyist work? How does that work out for you if you can't (won't) go inside? Or do you make an exception and disarm when being paid for your services?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't you do some lobbyist work? How does that work out for you if you can't (won't) go inside? Or do you make an exception and disarm when being paid for your services?

Oh he goes inside and outside, and in and out, n' in an' out and up and down and all about. The Hokey-Poky man is also a member of the media who just gets waved through security. But rest assured he is legal - his [strike]keeper[/strike] wife just carries a very big BUG as she accompanies him. Did you really think Mr. Nap had missed a trick? :cool: :lol: