Thread: Transferring gun from MI to Ohio

Transferring gun from MI to Ohio

Let me say Hi to all my fellow Ohio OCers, I've read a couple threads here and it sounds like things are going great for OC in your neck of the woods. I'm hoping you guys can help me out, I have a friend who is receiving a pistol from her father who lives in Michigan but she lives in Ohio. What is involved in the process of taking the gun from Michigan and allowing her to legally own it in Ohio?
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Ohio has no registration requirements for handguns like Michigan. State level, for Ohio, there's nothing to do. I do not know if there is a legal requirement for a person who bought a handgun in MI to be able to show they have divested themselves of the weapon.

It is legal to give a firearm as a gift with no further action taken in Ohio. Again, not sure about MI.

It is also legal Federally to give a firearm as a gift in person across state lines. I'm not sure about getting it in one state, and taking it back across. Sort of sticky. If you really want to cover your bases, it should be transferred to an FFL in Ohio, and then transferred to her. That would be the best way to make sure you are covered.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    It is also legal Federally to give a firearm as a gift in person across state lines.
    This is a common belief, but incorrect.

The only interstate transfer that does not require an FFL (in the recipient's state of residence if it's a handgun), is if the gun is bequeathed in a will. There is no exception for gifts, nor for family members (another common belief).

Back to the OP: the recipient of a handgun in an interstate transfer can only legally receive the gun at an FFL in her state of residence. The giver can deliver it there personally or ship it (which will be expensive).