• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transferring gun from MI to Ohio

Yance

Let me say Hi to all my fellow Ohio OCers, I've read a couple threads here and it sounds like things are going great for OC in your neck of the woods. I'm hoping you guys can help me out, I have a friend who is receiving a pistol from her father who lives in Michigan but she lives in Ohio. What is involved in the process of taking the gun from Michigan and allowing her to legally own it in Ohio?

Skunk

Ohio has no registration requirements for handguns like Michigan. State level, for Ohio, there's nothing to do. I do not know if there is a legal requirement for a person who bought a handgun in MI to be able to show they have divested themselves of the weapon.

It is legal to give a firearm as a gift with no further action taken in Ohio. Again, not sure about MI.

It is also legal Federally to give a firearm as a gift in person across state lines. I'm not sure about getting it in one state, and taking it back across. Sort of sticky. If you really want to cover your bases, it should be transferred to an FFL in Ohio, and then transferred to her. That would be the best way to make sure you are covered.

Chris

KBCraig

It is also legal Federally to give a firearm as a gift in person across state lines.

This is a common belief, but incorrect.

The only interstate transfer that does not require an FFL (in the recipient's state of residence if it's a handgun), is if the gun is bequeathed in a will. There is no exception for gifts, nor for family members (another common belief).

KBCraig

Back to the OP: the recipient of a handgun in an interstate transfer can only legally receive the gun at an FFL in her state of residence. The giver can deliver it there personally or ship it (which will be expensive).