• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

dps

jason84

today i went to get my state permit and was informed by the people behind the window that i will be placed under arrest for breach of peace if i open carry any where in ct this really bothers me as i have read further inthe ct statues and have heard from people on this forum and from one dectective that i can legally open carry i never told the people how i would choose to carry my pistol and i dont believe they should be telling people that they will be place under arrest and have their permit revoked for open carry or so much as printing

brk913

Did you ask them or did they just state that to you out of the blue? I have been to DPS on numerous occasions and never heard them tell anyone that or anything else about actually carrying, they usually just want to get you in and out of there. Additionally, it's best not to ask for or take any legal advise from DPS. No one in recent memory has been convicted of any crime for simply OC in CT, in fact no one has reported even being arrested or detained in quite some time. In any case do some reading here on the forum and you will see that precedent has been set and it does not matter what they say, the BOFPE has stated OC is legal and not a reason for permit revocation, numerous LE agencies are on the ball with this now as well.

KIX

1) Who did you speak to? What was their name?
2) Why would they just bring up carrying unconcealed if you didn't ask?

Ditto

This is pure BS and needs to stop. Another counter junkie is using his opinion as fact.

Jonathan

jason84

1) Who did you speak to? What was their name?
2) Why would they just bring up carrying unconcealed if you didn't ask?

i didnt ask their name or argue with them over it and i didnt ask for the info when i was at the window there was someone else that was bringing it up although i believe this is something i will have to get used to i just dont want to risk getting in any trouble because i am currently enlisted in the national guard and have been for 6 years. although i would like to know if there is ever any kind of open carry events that ever take place because i would like to go and see first hand maybe that would help me feel better about it as i would love to be able to comfortably open carry but dont want to have to deal with any trouble whether it is getting harrashed or worst because i would then have to let my unit know i had a run in with the police and that would look bad on my behalf

KIX

That's a catch .22.

I sure as hell hate hearing DPS or any PD making people feel intimidated while exercising their civil rights.

Jonathan

Freiheit417

Jason,

First and foremost, I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with CT laws regarding firearms and carrying in general before open carrying.

From time to time, certain people here announce they will be at a particular place for coffee or something similar. That would be a great place to meet some like-minded folks here. Additionally, CCDL has hosted a public picnic every year in the summer for a few years now. While it is not an "open-carry" picnic per se, any form of legal carry is welcomed, including open-carry. That would also be a great place to meet some knowledgeable people and become more comfortable.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.