• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safariland ALS or SLS?

HolyOrangeJuice

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a safariland holster for OC. I own a blackhawk serpa and I do not like it. The draw feels smooth and everything but in my opinion I think that releasing the lock with my thumb would be more comfortable. I was hoping to find out the differences between ALS and SLS from people who own them. From what I can see from videos i've watched the ALS only has a thumb release and open top while the SLS has the hood that locks into place too. Also if you could list any websites you have purchased from and your experience with them I would appreciate it. I hate doing business with random websites I know nothing about.

Thanks,
HolyOJ

fozzy71

I thoroughly dislike my 6377 ALS (same design as 6378, but belt loops instead of paddle). The retention grabs the actual slide (but is sloppy for my 1911 and it clicks when i walk quickly or run) and the release button is too small and too close to the body (or too close to my love handles, as the case may be).

However, I love my 6280 SLS I recently got for my FNP9. It has better retention and is easier to release and draw as the release button is bigger and farther off the body.

opticsplanet is where I order my safariland stuff.

HolyOrangeJuice

I thoroughly dislike my 6377 ALS (same design as 6378, but belt loops instead of paddle). The retention grabs the actual slide (but is sloppy for my 1911 and it clicks when i walk quickly or run) and the release button is too small and too close to the body (or too close to my love handles, as the case may be).

However, I love my 6280 SLS I recently got for my FNP9. It has better retention and is easier to release and draw as the release button is bigger and farther off the body.

opticsplanet is where I order my safariland stuff.

Thanks for your input. I notice that the ALS models are cheaper...i want to make sure it is worth paying more for the SLS over the ALS.

JoeGlock40

i got the carbon fiber als 6377 for a glock 22 and love it, way better than the serpas. for the glock it fits snug and the suede lining helps prevent wear on the finish. if you got sum love handles i imagin it might be hard to get to the release but the small release makes it harder for other poeple to see it as well and it looks sleaker than the sls in my opinion as well.you can buy a spacer for the holster if its to close to the body as well..we carry them as a duty holster in the duty version at my work and so do most of the local LEOs in my town n the only thing they do diff is add the chopping block cover that keeps a BG from hitting the relase in a struggle from the front... my vote is als

swinokur

Activist Member
The type of retention is dependent on the holster too. The only advantage I see for the ALS is it engages as soon as you reholster. The ALS release takes a little getting used to as far as muscle memory of it's location. SLS not so much.

Last edited:

jwinkeler

Look at the 6360 series it has both the als(with a much larger release) and the sls, I would go with the als as the sls is not automatic and you cannot chicken wing the gun out of the holster under stress(which is great for retention but does you no good when your just retaining it from your self) the ALS you can fumble the draw a little bit and it's still easier and the retention is automatic this cones from 3 or so years of the 6280(sls) being used as my competition holster and a few months using the ALS
But in the end try and test both as your mileage may very,

GuidoZ

Another vote for the ALS here - XDm 40. Smooth, natural draw IMHO, the release button is right where my hand goes to grip the gun naturally. It doesn't move around (even the paddle version, though I've tried both belt and paddle options for mine) and it's comfortable. Highly recommended. (Opticsplanet FTW as well!)

--
Peace. ~G

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Another vote for the ALS here - XDm 40. Smooth, natural draw IMHO, the release button is right where my hand goes to grip the gun naturally. It doesn't move around (even the paddle version, though I've tried both belt and paddle options for mine) and it's comfortable. Highly recommended. (Opticsplanet FTW as well!)

--
Peace. ~G

+1 Love it for my M&P. It is the only OWB holster I've used that I don't have any issues with.