• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about shooting in dark/low-light conditions...

oliverclotheshoff

The human eye is sensitive down to as little as one millionth of a candela per square meter at about 500 nanometer wavelength light. Practical light source luminance is on the order of 10 candelas per square meter, like a computer monitor or dimly lighted sign.

The early astronauts reported 'seeing' single high energy photons.

i don't care what early astronauts saw or about that scientific garbage that you quote to make you sound smart
i was speaking from MY experience of looking in MY mirror in the dark with MY gun in MY house

H

Herr Heckler Koch

i don't care what early astronauts saw or about that scientific garbage that you quote to make you sound smart i was speaking from MY experience of looking in MY mirror in the dark with MY gun in MY house
No, I am trying to help YOU be smart. I'm already successful, old, experienced, retired, and smart.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I've done a lot of low-light and no-light shooting. Sorry guys, but you the best solution usually is to simply turn on the lights if you can. Why make it harder for you to find and identify a possible perpetrator? Shoot in low light when you have no other choice, but don't willingly choose to be in the dark. The disadvantages greatly outweigh any advantages.

As far as weapon-mounted or hand-held lights, there are pros and cons to either one. I have both. Night sights? I like 'em.

I also have done and trained a lot of people in low light no light shooting Iam frim beliver in lights. I very much light night sights they help a whole lot in low light shooting.

I truley dis like the blip and shoot I saw way to many misses. I teach light them up, ID a threat shoot , shut the light off.

Not knowing what, who ect you are shooting at is very bad thing. If you are taking fire from your threat thats a whole other thing.

Lasers also work for hitting but not for ID

For those of you who have never done low light shooting find a range that well let you and try it and have your eyes opened.

Whats really fun is working a pump action shotgun while trying to use a hand held fflash light.:banghead: You well become a firm beliver in a weapon mounted light.

HandyHamlet

I've done a lot of low-light and no-light shooting. Sorry guys, but you the best solution usually is to simply turn on the lights if you can.

Another fantasy shattered by reality and common sense? Damned it all to hell.

What if you are 2.5 ft from the nearest light switch?
What if a Space Tyrannosaurus Rex piloting a giant meteor has driven said meteor into the earth? Thereby knocking out all the power with the ensuing EMP pulse! Huh?
What if you spent crap loads of money on all the tactical gear. This may be the only time you get to use it?

Not to mention flipping on a flashlight instantly reveals your potion and tells everyone within 10 miles where to shoot...

I thought shooting at an indoor range WAS shooting in low light. Not to mention bad air. Nothing like black snot. I like night sights for the range. There is no ******* way I fantasize about aiming anything, night sites included, if a "what if" fantasy shooting scenario actually becomes reality. I'll empty the mag at the threat, after I Israeli Draw my .22, throw each empty mag at the threat as I reload, then throw the empty pistol at the threat, then run away.

Well, serpentine away.

[video=youtube;A2_w-QCWpS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_w-QCWpS0[/video]

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
back before the days of affordable laser sights, I learned instinctive aiming/shooting by inserting a wooden dowel into the barrel of a revolver, and drawing while close to your target, keeping your gun at waist level, and using the dowel to see where your muzzle was pointing on the target. This develops muscle memory and the ability to hit your target without ever looking at the sights.

Nowadays, a guy could use his laser sight to learn muscle memory so you can accurately shoot from a low-ready position. this will leave a hand free for the flashlight if needed.

So consider practcing like that, then try your skills at an outdoor range to see how well you can get shooting from the hip.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

When I was in the Navy my submarine was uninhabitable for a while and I lived in a Q, the second and third floors of which were abandoned to the Charleston Palmetto Bugs. I fitted a laser sight to my CO2 pistol and used to go on big game hunts on the abandoned floors. I was a good shot.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Another fantasy shattered by reality and common sense? Damned it all to hell.

What if you are 2.5 ft from the nearest light switch?
What if a Space Tyrannosaurus Rex piloting a giant meteor has driven said meteor into the earth? Thereby knocking out all the power with the ensuing EMP pulse! Huh?
What if you spent crap loads of money on all the tactical gear. This may be the only time you get to use it?

Not to mention flipping on a flashlight instantly reveals your potion and tells everyone within 10 miles where to shoot...

I thought shooting at an indoor range WAS shooting in low light. Not to mention bad air. Nothing like black snot. I like night sights for the range. There is no ******* way I fantasize about aiming anything, night sites included, if a "what if" fantasy shooting scenario actually becomes reality. I'll empty the mag at the threat, after I Israeli Draw my .22, throw each empty mag at the threat as I reload, then throw the empty pistol at the threat, then run away.

Well, serpentine away.

Aw, man! Now I'm gonna have to get some martial arts throwing stars to attach to the magazines so a thrown mag becomes Bruce Lee lethal.

What do you all recommend? Just weld a throwing star to the baseplate of each mag, or attach the start just before throwing?

:D

Last edited: