• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Issue with Hornady Critical Defense

Barnett3006

Just to add to the thread here...

My first CC gun was my P-64 and at the time the only modern HP self defense ammo available (and that I could find locally) in 9x18mm Mak was Hornady Custom ammo loaded with their 95 gr XTP bullet. I shot enough of it to be comfortable with it as my SD round, so I loaded up my mags, chambered a round, holstered the gun and went about my merry...

About a month later it was time to clean the carry fuzz out of my gun so I unloaded and noticed that the round that had been in the chamber had a significant amount of set-back. That bullet was deep deep in the case, like the ogive was past the case mouth deep. I then chambered several more of the Hornady XTP rounds and each one came out the same way with extreme set-back, after only one chambering.

I switched to Corbon Power Ball ammo after that.

Now, I don't know if it was just my particular P-64 not liking that ammo (it would feed just fine) or if that particular box of Hornady ammo was "bad" or what but I have not had that problem with any other brand of ammo or bullet type in that gun.

REALteach4u

So I recently started using Hornady Critical Defense in .45 auto. The round seemed to be great. The other day however, I went to chamber a round and it did not feed. I removed the round and noticed the the round had pushed back into the casing. All the rounds have a pretty big step on the casing and after loading a couple different rounds a few times I realized the rounds were starting to push back into the casing. As they started to push back it exposed this large step and I started having jams when loading. I showed the round to a couple of my friends who also use rounds from Hornady (not Critical Defense) and they had the same problem with rounds from their primary magazines.
Just thought you all would like to about this and keep an eye out. It seems the crimp on these things are not very good and after loading the same round a couple of times it shows. I have switched back to my Winchester Rangers.

Did you notify the manufacturer? I have the CD ammo for my 9mm and my .45ACP, I've yet to experience a single problem with the ammo and I've used two different bullet weights, some of which have been chambered multiple times. I have experienced such a problem with some bulk Remington hollow point ammo, reported the problem and they took care of it.

If you have not, report the problem. They will specifically need the lot number from the box.

Last edited:

Sky1

After seeing performance reviews on them I switched to Speer GoldDot which are spectacular.

Your defensive round needs to work perfectly, never jam and always fire.

Shoot off your Honidays at the range and go with Gold Dot +P's. Maybe there is a reason why the cops use them.

hermannr

Huh? Why are you unloading your carry weapon? The only way mine is unloaded is into paper (never had to shoot a BG,,,in 40+years).

Think now: Why do you load and unload your carry weapon? (or any weapon for that matter) Your weapons have to be considered loaded at all times (if they have ammo in them or not) Why not just remove that doubt...they are always loaded...because they have ammo in them...don't you think?

The first thing I teach my grandkids, then prove it by sneaking one in the chamber and having them "dryfire" (not) into a target. They never forget that demo....

jayspapa

Huh? Why are you unloading your carry weapon? The only way mine is unloaded is into paper (never had to shoot a BG,,,in 40+years).

Think now: Why do you load and unload your carry weapon? (or any weapon for that matter) Your weapons have to be considered loaded at all times (if they have ammo in them or not) Why not just remove that doubt...they are always loaded...because they have ammo in them...don't you think?

The first thing I teach my grandkids, then prove it by sneaking one in the chamber and having them "dryfire" (not) into a target. They never forget that demo....

Try living in Illinois. Then you would understand why the pistol is loaded and unloaded so often. We are allowed to transport the gun in a case , unloaded , with loaded magazines in the case with the gun. The magazine can't be in the gun though.

A lot of people like me , take the gun with them and we also are allowed to have the gun right on our lap as we drive if we want. All of this provided we have the wonderful FOID card.