• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Gary Johnson-Ron Paul Factor.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I just registered to vote, and I am 41, all though I don't consider my self a Paul-bot, he has inspired me to partake because I just never could with the turd sandwich/douchebag choices of the Democrats and Republican candidates of the past. And never could align myself with either party.

I think that's true for a lot of people. I've seen a sign like this in pictures of many of his events.

1419433321_82a893a11c.jpg

I don't consider myself a Paulbot either; a liberty-bot maybe. :)

I wonder if one reason why Paul isn't winning the primaries is because many of his supporters are like me people who don't wont to register as an R to vote in the primary. Is this a fundamental flaw on getting someone who is borderline 3rd party on the ticket?

I am going to admit I am completely clueless on this but want to make sure I get my vote in for him on the primary. This is a good excuse to go down and talk to our county auditor on the first floor of the Courthouses. I love OCing down there especially since I forced them to arrange the ropes to only block OC and guns from the upper floors where the courthouses are.

There's long been an effort to get people who normally wouldn't register as R's to do so just to vote for Paul. I suspect you're right in some cases though. More of it is probably laziness because they have to do something. My state is an open-primary state so I don't have to worry about it.

sudden valley gunner

I like that picture, me and my late cousin used to joke we should start an apathy party. And that it would probably be the best thing for our country. And the meetings would be real short.

Daylen

Your thread speaks to the sorry state of the Republican line-up. I will state that the best shot for Paul types is to dilute the electoral vote. What you must consider is that much of the electoral vote on the Obama side will not be affected. There are States that could tip away from Obama but remember the electoral reality of 2008, Obama 349 - McCain 163. There would have to be a pretty big shift for the third party candidate to rob both sides of the electoral 270. Paul will take more votes from the Republicans than from the Democrats.

It is an interesting scenario.

But the % of votes was only ~52% Obama - ~47% McCain. A small change in % can yield a huge change in those electoral votes.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
What's hilarious is that the establishment keeps saying that Ron Paul isn't pulling any "real" republican votes during this primary race but then out of the other side of their crooked mouths they're shouting that if Ron was to run 3rd party; he'd take republican votes away from the nominee and give Obama the win. All I can say is: :lol::rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol:

georg jetson

I wonder if one reason why Paul isn't winning the primaries is because many of his supporters are like me people who don't wont to register as an R to vote in the primary. Is this a fundamental flaw on getting someone who is borderline 3rd party on the ticket?

Myself and about 50 others that I know made sure we had changed our party affiliation in time to participate in the GOP nomination process. I'm sure there are many more who haven't.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

But the % of votes was only ~52% Obama - ~47% McCain. A small change in % can yield a huge change in those electoral votes.

President Obama won by ten million votes, hardly small potatoes these days when elections are so close. W. won in 2000 by -1,000,000 votes, and by +1,000,000 his second term, and considered the latter election a freaking mandate LOL.

Of course, according to Republicans there is no logical reason a Negro would be elected to the White House.

Last edited:

DangerClose

Paul should just run third party. Him not running third party makes no sense to me. I suppose all of them are subject to the control of the two party system.

It wasn't all that long ago that Ron Paul's views were what the Republican Party was all about. It's only a recent thing that neocons have taken it over. (...but not for much longer.)