• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wold you report it? (Hypocritical)

fire suppressor

My question to all of you is, if you had to draw your weapon on someone in self defence and then they ran would you call 911 to report it or not? I can find nothing in the RCWs or WAC that require you to report drawing your weapon so what do you think?

SigGuy23

Activist Member
yes I would. If it warranted me to have to pull my firearm in self defence, then it warrants the police to be called. Who knows if the person is going to go find someone else to victimize who isn't armed.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yes, I would as well. Follow the CYA principle. And, by the way, it's hypothetical...

Last edited:

okkid

No because he took off and thats all I wanted in the first place was to just go.
Do not need to cops for every little thing.

fire suppressor

This is a discussion a friend and I had the other day. My argument is you should call the police before the person tries to harm someone ells and more importantly so the bad guy does not call and make you out to be the bad guy. My friend argued its his right just to go home and did not want to have to deal with the police while he was carrying

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
No because he took off and thats all I wanted in the first place was to just go.
Do not need to cops for every little thing.

"That's all I wanted in the first place was to just go", "Every little thing" is not a statement of being fear or your life or of another, does it?

If for example the one you pulled your gun on (hypothetical) did call the police, they responded and made contact with you and you end up during some legal process, be it to the Police, Lawyer, Judge or Jury and make that statement! You Just Hung Yourself out to dry, who is going to believe you were in fear for you life making such a statement.

This is not to slam you but if you keep going this route you will likely find yourself on the wrong side of the bars.

Difdi

This is a discussion a friend and I had the other day. My argument is you should call the police before the person tries to harm someone ells and more importantly so the bad guy does not call and make you out to be the bad guy. My friend argued its his right just to go home and did not want to have to deal with the police while he was carrying

The trouble is, just going home and not involving the police after a crime has been committed (one way or another, one has been if a gun is drawn) tends to make you look furtive and/or guilty of something. Which can lead to a lot more police contact than you would have had if you had reported the incident.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Depends. If it were on my property with my having a handgun in my hand premptively in case of a possible attempted burglar who was outside within a locked fence yard but ran and jumped the ba k fence upon seeing me and may or may not have seen my sidearm all before I could get more than a cursory look in the dark then no (this happened last summer). If it were a face to face drew the weapon in fear imminent deathor bodily injury situation then yes.

1245A Defender

well,,,

this question is very much like the responses you would make if you had to shoot an intruder of your home.

call the police and tell them you were in fear of your life,,, that you defended yourself,,, who and where the bad guy is.
do not give them anymore details untill you have talked to your lawyer!

the last thing you want to do is admit to a possible violation of 9.41.270 if you dont have to.

our 5th amendment right against self incrimination is important to remember to use, even if you have not commited a crime.

sirpuma

Don't pull it unless you're about to use it.

Did you really have to draw the weapon?

Hypothetically, if you have to draw it then situation warrants its use.

+1

If it's serious enough for me to have to draw my firearm I would be calling 911 to report the shooting and deal with the likely deceased. As it is I did draw but didn't shoot once. I still called the cops and had them out. They then dealt with the trespassers. Not sure if they ever got the guy that ran off.

badkarma

I have pulled my firearm in self defense and I did call the cops. They didnt even come visit me. They called back about an hour later and confirmed my story.

fire suppressor

Sounds like for the most part you are all on my side, after my friend and I got into a heated discussion over it I thought I would ask everyone. My friend is not a member of OCDO he is a CC guy he thinks we are all a little weird

bmg50cal

Here is an example of what I would do.

Call 911 immediately
The call:
  • Provide your location, your name and description.
  • Describe the nature of the attack, a description of the assailant(s) and the location if you moved to a secure location.
  • "I was in fear for my life."
  • "I have my CPL." (optional, but may help)
  • "I drew my firearm in self-defense."
  • "The assailant(s) fled."
  • "The scene is safe."

When the LEOs arrive:

• Only describe the nature of the assault and a description of the assailant(s)
  • "They attacked me"
  • "I was in fear for my life."
  • Otherwise Remain Silent!!!
  • Don’t resist or consent.
  • If arrested: "I am Innocent;" "I want a Lawyer."
Correct me if I'm wrong... :p

[h=2]RCW 9.41.270[/h][h=1]Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.[/h]
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 426; 1969 c 8 § 1.]

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I strongly agree with the many posters who support calling 911...but:

1. I might not think of it. Why? I've never been assaulted;
2. There are some extremely limited and specific instances when I would not call 911 if I had to gesture; hint; reach for; pull; low-ready my firearm.
3. If I fired my firearm, I would call 911. Often, I like to think, my partner would be doing it for me;
4. I would be more likely to call 911 anonymously to report an incident from a safe distance 'Someone is robbing (xyz grocery store)', then go home.

If anyone saw my firearm (as in overt brandishing) or chance of that - say broad daylight in a Lowe's parking lot, I would call 911 and I would be able to defend myself against false charges, because I carry a recorder. If I shot someone, I'd definitely call 911, though I might retreat to a safe distance and get some photos of the crime scene to preserve evidence if I had any of my wits left. (heh). (like the guy who was carjacked at the gas pump last year).

Yes, I'm now a big ole chicken when it comes to SD situations (unlike my youth-days).

Edit to add: At the risk of LEO bashing, it's NOT the bad guy I'm chicken of...it's the 'system'. The three C's (courts/cops/constitutional legislators)

Last edited: