• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bar patron kills armed robber, Chesapeake VA

Badger Johnson

Witnesses tell 13 News that at least one person was shot at Roger's Sports Bar as armed men tried to hold it up. The person is believed to be one of the suspects.

"Guy in the mask with the light blue Taurus? He might have been a suspect"

Witnesses tell 13 News that one person who was shot, a patron at the bar, threw pool sticks at the suspects, trying to distract them.

Dayum, homie was it a patron or a suspect? Tough crowd, throwing pool cues, good for them.

Police are looking for two armed men they believe are driving a light blue Taurus.

I read this as 'carrying a Taurus', lol.

PS (Sleep is over rated. I never sleep. At night. Sometimes. (now, the month of January, for example). Posted at 5:42am)

GreatDaneMan

Right in my area.. My friends band play here alot. I am there on occasion. I worked a few blocks away untill Wednesday.

One of the regulars was shot in the stomach, a guy messed up his foot diving over the bar toward attackers. I believe the guy shot in stomach was the one that ended one of the robbers. Crazy ****. My friends mother works there, but I cant find his phone number..

Last edited:

IrRelevant

Just for clarification, the individual that was shot was hit in the stomach and walked out of the bar on his own power. He was in surgery and has since been sent to recovery. Gall bladder was removed but last i heard he is doing well. He is the one that was throwing the pool cues. Another patron is the one who ended the one dirt bags life. The second injury as stated above was a foot injury while jumping the bar to engage the suspects. Obviously the patrons fought back (GREAT JOB ALL BTW), and personally knowing a few of the fellows that frequent this typically quiet establishment, they are not going to let anyone take advantage of them like these cowardly thugs tried. There have been statements that the thugs that ran have since been apprehended, but nothing has been confirmed. Looks as if it was a grand total of 4 thugs, including a driver. Good shooting sir, and i applaud everyone involved in possibly saving a lot of lives.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Since their cohort was killed as a direct result of this crime, can the surviving robbers be charged with murder?

TFred

That's way out of my field TFred, but I think with the change in the Triggerman law, they can.

TFred

Since their cohort was killed as a direct result of this crime, can the surviving robbers be charged with murder?

TFred

That's way out of my field TFred, but I think with the change in the Triggerman law, they can.
Mine too, hence the question. I do seem to remember reading that if innocents are killed during the commission of a robbery, even if not at the direct hand of the robber, there can be murder charges. One example that comes to mind would be if a robber is fleeing and causes an accident in which another driver is killed. I don't really see very much different here, the bar patrons were defending their own lives, I don't see any reason the surviving perpetrators should not be held responsible for that death as well. I guess we need User to opine. :)

TFred

Neplusultra

Mine too, hence the question. I do seem to remember reading that if innocents are killed during the commission of a robbery, even if not at the direct hand of the robber, there can be murder charges. One example that comes to mind would be if a robber is fleeing and causes an accident in which another driver is killed. I don't really see very much different here, the bar patrons were defending their own lives, I don't see any reason the surviving perpetrators should not be held responsible for that death as well. I guess we need User to opine. :)

TFred

I would agree if other innocents are killed, including if the innocent was accidentally killed by a defender. I have always had a bit of a problem attaching the guilt of murder to one of the perpetrators when one of the other perpetraters is killed. At best it would see to me to be a form of assiting another's suicide or some such since the dead perpetrator willingly and knowingly put himself into that situation. Having said that it suddenly strikes me that this situation strongly resembles the situation of two dueling parties getting into a gun fight that is not a self-defense by one party. It would be murder for either side to kill the other side. Kind of like a scheduled gang fight might be. But since in our situation one side is innocent all guilt transfers to the other. But these two scenarios are not exact matches though.

I'm not sure if the idea of murder charges is so universally accepted that it never makes it to a higher court, I can't imagine it wouldn't sooner or later. If it hasn't already. It does seem a bit controversial to me.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not intended as a cite - just my recollection.

When in the commission of a crime, someone innocent of participation is killed. The perpetrator(s) of the crime can be held accountable for that death even w/o being the one(s) that directly caused it.

Hopefully we shall hear from User who will point out the correct set of circumstances applicable here.

TFred

Well... I spent the evening with my sis and b-i-l, and the subject of Castle Doctrine came up. They told me about this news story from Oklahoma that I somehow had missed... I don't know about Virginia, but apparently in Oklahoma the answer is YES, because they are going to charge the surviving perpetrator with first degree murder, after the teen mom shot the home invader dead!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/0...-invasion-nearly-week-after-shooting-killing/

Wow.

TFred

That's when McKinley saw Martin with something shiny in his hand, which she took for a pistol, but later was determined to be the knife. She fired when she saw him shove the couch out of the way.

"Our initial review of the case doesn't indicate she violated the law in any way," Assistant District Attorney James Walters told The Oklahoman newspaper.

However, prosecutors have charged Martin's alleged accomplice, 29-year-old Dustin Louis Stewart, with first-degree murder. According to authorities, Stewart was with Martin but ran away from McKinley's home after hearing the gunshots.

"When you're engaged in a crime such as first-degree burglary and a death results from the events of that crime, you're subject to prosecution for it," Walters said.

Last edited:

TFred

Well... I spent the evening with my sis and b-i-l, and the subject of Castle Doctrine came up. They told me about this news story from Oklahoma that I somehow had missed... I don't know about Virginia, but apparently in Oklahoma the answer is YES, because they are going to charge the surviving perpetrator with first degree murder, after the teen mom shot the home invader dead!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/0...-invasion-nearly-week-after-shooting-killing/

Wow.
Another video with coverage of the Oklahoma shooting... note the "Castle Doctrine" map shown briefly at the end of the story... they show Virginia with no Castle Doctrine.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/greghe...uder_thanks_to_strong_progun_laws_in_oklahoma

TFred

wylde007

Right in my area.. My friends band play here alot.
Mine's playing there St. Paddy's Day.

Good on the armed patron and those who resisted.
Can and will. Capital murder. The only thing which may separate them from the death penalty is that only one of their cohorts died. They'll be charged with murder one and plea murder two or manslaughter. They'll put the two thugs in separate rooms and give the better deal to whichever one spills first.

I first heard about this from ANOTHER band friend from RICHMOND, of all places. Crazy stuff.

wylde007

And Then They Roll Out the Obligatory Weepy Grandma

"He was a gud keed jus tryin' a turn he life around and now he dead"

Sorry, he was a ghetto thug who committed a felony and lost his life trying to take something what wasn't his.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/wavy-norfolk-family-of-dead-robbery-suspect-speaks

Fortunately it seems like most of Hampton Roads has no sympathy for this woman or her loss - because a man must stand responsible for his actions... and through those actions he has left TWO CHILDREN without a father. Though it sounds like they may have experienced that fate either way.